Something to replace a Garmin 276c

orangeTJ

Explorer
I've been using a 276c for a few years now. It works well, I love it. I understand (and have mastered) the user interface. Previously I had a 176, and before that a GPSIII+.

All of the Garmin units I would have bought are now discontinued. (376, 478, etc)

I use a GPS on my DRZ 400S and in my Jeep. Big screen like the 276c is a huge benefit.

I use Garmin Map Source (Topo, City Select/Navigator) a lot for planning trips (routes, waypoints, etc) and really would like something that retains that functionality. I also use it to upload maps, routes, waypoints to the GPS when I'm ready to hit the road.

The handheld units provide a lot of the same functionality, but I'm not really interested in something that can't be powered externally.

I doubt I will replace the 276c - it might just get used only on the bike, and then something else in the Jeep.

Anyone have suggestions on a current Garmin unit?

Last edited:

Andrew Walcker

Mod Emeritus
I'm interested to see what others respond with. I was at the point of facing this question last week upgrading to a Windows 7 64 bit computer. I spent two hours on the phone with Garmin getting my 276 to talk with it. It ended up working but there is no way I could have done it on my own without their customer support. I ended up replacing the battery at the same time but know at some point it will stop working or become obsolete from a technology stand point.

orangeTJ

Explorer
Seems like so many of the newer units geared towards automotive use are "dumbed down" compared to the 276c and similar units. After having advance units like the 176 and 276c, I am really not interested in a dumb unit.

Last edited:

hudsonhawk

Observer
I have an Garmin Oregon 400t. It has built in topographic/off-road maps and you can upload the map source maps to it for navigation.

You can power it externally. I use it for on-road navigation all the time. This gives you all the features of the newer automotive GPS units and still keeps all the functionality of an off-road maping GPS.

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
I also have a 276C, and it definitely continues to serve its purpose. The Garmin GPSMAP 640 might be a contemporary alternative. I find Garmin's marine units that offer double-duty functionality, like the 276C, make better GPS receivers for overlanding than their automotive counterparts.

However, I'm not sure that dedicated GPS units aren't a dying breed. Smartphones and tablets are becoming more and more ubiquitous. With a similar form-factor, they already far exceed consumer GPS units in computing power, and open-endedness.

For this reason, I think I'd just hold on to that 276C, and see how the marketplace evolves in the next few years.

orangeTJ

Explorer
...I find Garmin's marine units that offer double-duty functionality, like the 276C, make better GPS receivers for overlanding than their automotive counterparts....

Exactly my thoughts too.

In my circle of dual sport motorcycling friends, one who has a Jeep too, there's about 7 of us with 276c units.

roberto

Adventurer
I just went on ebay and amazon to look at prices of 276C and used ones are starting at $500 and up with a whole lot of bidders, kinda crazy. I am keeping mine

R

werewolf

I've been using a 276c for a few years now. It works well, I love it. I understand (and have mastered) the user interface. Previously I had a 176, and before that a GPSIII+.

Exactly the same sequence of ownership with me, but going back to the Garmin II, and I still have the II+ that Garmin replaced my II with for free (Garmin service was awesome back then!), and it still works, and for now I'm sticking with the 276C, and like the man says above, let's see what evolves.

werewolf

I have an Garmin Oregon 400t. It has built in topographic/off-road maps and you can upload the map source maps to it for navigation.

You can power it externally. I use it for on-road navigation all the time. This gives you all the features of the newer automotive GPS units and still keeps all the functionality of an off-road maping GPS.

Same question: Can you give the pros and cons vs. the 276C?

off-roader

Expedition Leader
I prefer the screen size of the 276 and similar gps's to most of the other 'pocketable' gps systems.

I haven't found a gps system that I like. I was hoping a windows netbook with topo software and street software would work but it's kludgy at best (nowhere nearly as intuitive and easy to use as my Tom Tom). the lack of a touch screen is also cumbersome.

I had hoped the iPad would prove to be a better solution but the lack of a decent gps (sirfstar 3 or better) and the availability of a proven topo & street navigation software offering have also proven to be limiting factors (yes many software offerings exist but knowing which one is best for your needs has been difficult to ascertain).

That said, I would hope that the iPad could replace that 276c nicely... eventually anyway.

dms1

Explorer
THIS

Montana™ 600

Maps & Memory:

Basemap: yes Ability to add maps: yes Built-in memory: 3.0 GB Accepts data cards: microSD™ card (not included) Waypoints/favorites/locations: 4000 Routes: 200 Track log: 10,000 points, 200 saved tracks

Last edited:
lowrance

either the baja or a full size chartploter. They were hands down the best most accurate and durable gps unit i have owned and I have owned at least 8 units I have a garmin now but would trade it in a heart beat for a lowrance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater