Sour Grapes Build Thread

SWbySWesty

Fauxverland Extraodinaire
Hi Everyone,

Pretty new to the forum, but have decided to take the plunge into the world of off-roading. I've had a Jeep XJ for 8 or 9 years now and I recently was given the opportunity to fix a 1997 XJ and keep it...for free.

Can't argue with that. So here's how she sits after cleaning her up:

5888_750233803317_3610222_43467759_607146_n.jpg

So far I've cleaned out the engine compartment, tracked down a wire short that turned out to be the dome light wires, put in a CD player, changed out necessary fluids, ditched the idiot gauges for some informative ones like temp, oil pressure and fuel.

On Monday I ordered a Rubicon Express 6300 kit. The 5.5'' Long Arm Heavy Duty suspension. This will be matched with some Cragar soft 8 steelies at 15x8 and some 33x10.5 BFG All-Terrains.

Then I will be adding a custom front tube winch bumper with D-rings and light tabs. A custom rear tube bumper with receiver hitch and 2 D-ring tabs. Rock sliders on the side. Finally (in a few more months) I'll add on an exo cage since I plan to sometimes run some Jeepspeed speeds..:costumed-smiley-007
...and let's not forget to add on skid plates wherever possible when my bank account recovers LOL

I'll post up soon with the results of the lift and bumpers/sliders/tires/rims combo before adding lights and more body armor.

Explorer 1

Explorer 1
Another SMURF Mobile

Wow, another SMURF Mobile in So. Cal. Thought my friend had the only one of these. Did you buy it from the State of Oregon? :)

Thanks,
Fred
Explorer 1

SWbySWesty

coincidentally, my friend's mom whom I got it from traveled to Oregon ALL THE TIME with it and it very well may have been purchased there originally. So you may be right!

But it's gonna be So-Cal-ified now...there's already been In N Out expeditions if those count LOL

Explorer 1

Explorer 1
My friend's SMURF Mobile

Here is a pic I found of the other SMURF Mobile in the LA area.

IMG_6001.jpg

Same year also.

Thanks,
Fred
Explorer 1

SWbySWesty

lol, looks like they've been bangin' around in it! This one is in pretty good shape. Dealer maintained and serviced. They couldn't figure out that the throttle body was sticking because it was so dirty...

either way - I hope I run into other SMURFS!

SWbySWesty

4.56 gears added to pile of stuff... this whole "do it right the first time or don't do it" mantra is killing my bank account!

SWbySWesty

I am however looking for places and quotes for installing all this stuff. So far

4wheel parts: $1900 for lift, SYE, shaft & gears
MeandDadoffroad: $600 for lift + $100 for SYE & Shaft (no word yet on gears)
WellbiltKustoms: waiting to hear back
Zach's fab and welding: $30/hr for everything BUT gears (on my own for gears).

any ideas? Dare I even mention a "wrenching party"....we do them for my motorcycle club so it's worth a shot.

Southern California located :)

shogun

Adventurer
I am however looking for places and quotes for installing all this stuff. So far

4wheel parts: $1900 for lift, SYE, shaft & gears
MeandDadoffroad: $600 for lift + $100 for SYE & Shaft (no word yet on gears)
WellbiltKustoms: waiting to hear back
Zach's fab and welding: $30/hr for everything BUT gears (on my own for gears).

any ideas? Dare I even mention a "wrenching party"....we do them for my motorcycle club so it's worth a shot.

Southern California located :)

T&J Performance for lift and chassis stiffeners.

SWbySWesty

T&J Performance for lift and chassis stiffeners.

Thanks! I already purchased the equipment - we're planning a liftparty over on NAXJA for those local to Southern California...any interest to attend or help out? I'm bringing carne asada and newcastle beverages!

It's far worse than you think:

P1010313.jpg

Might as well give up on the bank account now.

That's some inspiration right there! Curiously, where did that rear bumper come from? Does it rattle? I've been looking into a custom tube rear bumper with a swing DOWN tire carrier, but it's gonna be in the way of the cargo area :( This was because everything else seems to rattle.

SWbySWesty

ooooooh - just got home and unwrapped 5 of these!!!

attachment.php

Attachments

• photo(2).jpg
    photo(2).jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 2,074

MTNTECH

Thanks! I already purchased the equipment - we're planning a liftparty over on NAXJA for those local to Southern California...any interest to attend or help out? I'm bringing carne asada and newcastle beverages!

That's some inspiration right there! Curiously, where did that rear bumper come from? Does it rattle? I've been looking into a custom tube rear bumper with a swing DOWN tire carrier, but it's gonna be in the way of the cargo area :( This was because everything else seems to rattle.

It's the Wilderness bumper http://wildernessracks.com/jeep_cher_swing.html and it does not rattle. It uses a threaded handle instead of a latch to close it. Takes a little more time to open and close but again it never rattles. I'm mostly on the NAXJA site, Intermountain Chapter Vice President but my real interest is with Expedition style outing's over rock crawling. Starting to spend more time over here on this site anymore.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach