Spare tire in front of grill.

Photobug

My RV is a 22 foot Born Free with a rear door. My spare tire is stored in the largest storage compartment which I would really like back for storage. I have a front hitch on my truck and have used it to carry bikes on a 4 bike rack. I am considering adding a front hitch to my RV and putting the tire out front. My concern is would a tire on the front affect the cooling of the engine?

Eventually, I plan to upgrade wheels tires and suspension on this thing and add an appropriate bumper for the upgrade. I am tempted to buy a better front bumper now but might save some money for now and can put a spare up front for $200 with these parts.

billiebob

Not a cooling issue.
If you can idle up a mountain road without over heating, you can put the spare 12" in front of the rad. IF you are crossing death valley at 80mph and the temp gauge is climbing, slow down but even there it is not likely the tire is to blame.

Look at many new vehicles today, the actual rad intake is tiny.

Last edited:

Joe917

Explorer
We have two spares on our front bumper (lowered by hydraulics). The bumper extends in front of the tires. In Argentina we met a Canadian couple with a front tire mounted on a Tiger similar to what you are proposing. They were forced to remove it because the spare was in front of the bumper and was a safety issue in Argentina. Check your local laws. Cooling is not an issue for us as the cooling air on our truck all comes up under the bumper.

Photobug

Now that we have established a tire out front is not a problem. Can we discuss the options to do so?

Somewhere down the road, I would like to have the option to add a pair of bikes, an E-bike, or maybe a motorcycle as well as the tire. Would the previous setup allow this?

Would this front receiver affect clearance if I was to lift the van later? I just did my first offroading in the van today.

Is there an upgraded bumper with a receiver or a bumper that would allow me to mount a tire and a small motorcycle?

www.summitracing.com

Reese Towpower 65053 Reese Towpower Front Mount Receivers | Summit Racing
Free Shipping - Reese Towpower Front Mount Receivers with qualifying orders of $99. Shop Receiver Hitches at Summit Racing.

www.summitracing.com

Curt Manufacturing 31006 CURT Spare Tire Mounts | Summit Racing
Free Shipping - CURT Spare Tire Mounts with qualifying orders of $99. Shop Spare Tire Carriers at Summit Racing.

Alloy

The receivers available for my truck stick down 4" below the front bumper. This would bring the truck to a stop off road so I'm making one comes out through the bumper. It will have a center 2 1/2" for a winch plus two 2" that are 30" apart that will keep the motorcycle from flopping side to side.

I'd check online forums for vehicle/engine specific cooling issue. Some vehicles you don't want to block transmission cooler others the engine oil cooler.

Offroad I wouldn't want anything on the front that affects maneuverability.....like turning around on a narrow road.

Photobug

Just an update. The installation of the receiver hitch did not come down any lower than my current clearance in the van, I actually had to cut the lower rubber lip to get it to fit. It was fairly easy to install and I now have a huge chunk of space back in my storage area. I would guess my 22 foot RV is now a 24 foot RV but like the storage space and the cool tire cover.20210709_112758.jpg20210630_111810.jpg

billiebob

My 1965 econoline had a tire in front the rad for over 55 years... I think you're safe, lol
b727fc1242fc27bbab1d508453a2d76b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
this ^^^ might be my next overlander, I had the Econoline Pickup version 30 years ago and loved it
smoothest riding vehicle ever

billiebob

Just an update. The installation of the receiver hitch did not come down any lower than my current clearance in the van, I actually had to cut the lower rubber lip to get it to fit. It was fairly easy to install and I now have a huge chunk of space back in my storage area. I would guess my 22 foot RV is now a 24 foot RV but like the storage space and the cool tire cover.View attachment 676483View attachment 676484
I'm thinking race car wing..
R.1300d88fdd7a99d2f7b1966116e16a2c.jpeg

Boondox

I have the Curt. Maybe it is my receiver but the fit was sloppy as <insert whatever vulgar term you like here>. It would have been flopping around like a drunken fish out of water up there. I tried shimming and it wasn't good enough. I could have removed the whole receiver and tapped some set bolts in there but I ended up ordering an Aluminess back door mount. Haven't got it yet though.

Photobug

I have the Curt. Maybe it is my receiver but the fit was sloppy as <insert whatever vulgar term you like here>. It would have been flopping around like a drunken fish out of water up there. I tried shimming and it wasn't good enough. I could have removed the whole receiver and tapped some set bolts in there but I ended up ordering an Aluminess back door mount. Haven't got it yet though.

Yep wobbly as hell when first mounted. There are two hole in the receiver hitch and a solution to the wobbly mount issue called an anti-rattle pin. I have only driven a few 50 mile trips since installing. So far I like it.

Boondox

Yep wobbly as hell when first mounted. There are two hole in the receiver hitch and a solution to the wobbly mount issue called an anti-rattle pin. I have only driven a few 50 mile trips since installing. So far I like it.

Hmm. Wish I had known before I ordered the door mount. One thing is it looks like that would work in one axis but it was sloppy on both axis. Might still order one and see what it does because if nothing else I would like to mount other stuff up there someday.

EDIT: Was just thinking, I could easily whip up a rednecktech version of that with stuff on hand and see if it helps. Thanks!

Last edited:

Photobug

Hmm. Wish I had known before I ordered the door mount. One thing is it looks like that would work in one axis but it was sloppy on both axis. Might still order one and see what it does because if nothing else I would like to mount other stuff up there someday.

EDIT: Was just thinking, I could easily whip up a rednecktech version of that with stuff on hand and see if it helps. Thanks!
Without this cool tightening thing. I would probably tie a loop near the top and then do a truckers hitch to a frame part underneath or hitch loop to create tension to keep it from wobbling so bad. With this anti-rattle pin it is rock solid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger