Spontaneous Overheating

muskyman

Explorer
Tell me HOW it is a radiator issue... how does a radiator act in a manner consistent with the symptoms... when a collapsing hose fits ALL of the symptoms... and the temporary fix.

why would you want to use a temporary fix and risk your motor?

your descriptions are exactly as hundreds of other people's have been.

Bite the bullet and save your motor or keep heat cycling the thing until you kill it...the choice is yours.

david despain

Adventurer
Today was the "shake-down cruise" for the newly installed rack and lights (I will show it in the build thread).

I took the Disco up Box Canyon Road from Continental to Sonita. While slogging up the heaviliy washboarded road, on a moderate grade, the engine suddenly - over the space of about 30-45 seconds - went from normal temperature to overheating. I saw a plume of steam coming from under the hood, so I quickly shut the engine off and popped the hood.

Upon closer inspection, the steam was coming from the overflow tank and there were no broken hoses (my main concern when I am 20 miles from the rest of the world), so I cranked the engine back up, turned on the heater and let it cycle the water back into the radiator. Within less than a minute (20 seconds max) the temp gauge was back down to the normal. I turned the heater off, continued up the mountain and out to the pavement... and back home.. with no further issues.

Now, the kicker is that I did have the air conditioner on... but it really should not be so sensitive that I cannot run the a/c while moving along at 20 mph on a slight to moderate grade at 75 degree ambient temperature.

The one thing that I do not know is whether the electric fans were running. When I initally stopped the engine, I turned the switch off. When I checked the hoses and started the engine back, I did notice the fans turning.

Soooo... thoughts? My first thougts are something pointing to a fan... or a fan relay... going internittent due to the bumpy, rough road. But ?????

Sounds symptomatic of a bad radiator, if I were you I would change it before you damage the somewhat delicate all aluminum engine.

Last edited:

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
So what is the going rate for a new radiator for these trucks? Best place to buy without "bend me over, it's a Land Rover" prices?

muskyman

Explorer
So what is the going rate for a new radiator for these trucks? Best place to buy without "bend me over, it's a Land Rover" prices?

find a local radiator rebuilder and have them recore the stock unit.

The factory unit is a 4 core in the auto's and a 3 core in the stick trucks.

both can be upgraded to a 5 row heavy duty core that will go right into the stock tanks and that will increase the flow rate and the surface area.

I have been running a 5 row for a long time and its a great upgrade if you really load your truck down or use it in high load situations.

rovertech

Observer
find a local radiator rebuilder and have them recore the stock unit.

The factory unit is a 4 core in the auto's and a 3 core in the stick trucks.

both can be upgraded to a 5 row heavy duty core that will go right into the stock tanks and that will increase the flow rate and the surface area.

I have been running a 5 row for a long time and its a great upgrade if you really load your truck down or use it in high load situations.

x2 :)

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
As I mentioned earlier in the thread, ... the OEM radiator has 1/8 inch tubing running through it. It is easy for it to get clogged.

When you have the OEM unit recored, have them up the tubing size. It made all the difference in mine.
Mine almost stays too cool.

It was $700 to get it done though (but that included pulling, re-coring, installing, and purging the system).

Hope that helps.
D

SeaRubi

Explorer
i just rigged up a powershot to give the radiator a squirt of nitrous now when the temp climbs ...

kidding! :sombrero:

Nonimouse

Cynical old bastard
I would say radiator.

But what I would do in this situation is change all the pipes when the rad is off, put on a new viscous coupling, check the water pump and stat

Whislt the rad is away being cleaned I would get a second sensor mounting point fitted in the lower RHS (looking out of the vehicle) to fit a decent secondary temp guage; giving post rad water temp.

To be honest 10% down is a lot. If I said to you that your heart was 10% down on capability, would you say that was okay? Or if your motor was 10% down on performance; 10% worse fuel consumption. Get my drift?

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Not talking about whether or not he needs a new rad per se, but.... About the 5 core thing... It's pretty common for some hot-rod guys to swap in higher core count rads to try and solve cooling problems. And often it doesn't work. The reason being that the thicker rad core has more heat exchange area, but then it also restricts airflow through the core. Net result is no increase in cooling. The real solution is usually stronger fans, better ducting, or fixing other problems with the engine.

Are you guys SURE that a 5 core rad actually helps the situation compared to just a standard replacement?

muskyman

Explorer
Not talking about whether or not he needs a new rad per se, but.... About the 5 core thing... It's pretty common for some hot-rod guys to swap in higher core count rads to try and solve cooling problems. And often it doesn't work. The reason being that the thicker rad core has more heat exchange area, but then it also restricts airflow through the core. Net result is no increase in cooling. The real solution is usually stronger fans, better ducting, or fixing other problems with the engine.

Are you guys SURE that a 5 core rad actually helps the situation compared to just a standard replacement?

Yes I am 100% sure that the 5 core makes an improvement. I have one in my truck and it solved the heat loading in my truck in the worst conditions. As and example there is a huge beach covered in granite slag from the copper mines in upper MI. This stuff is like little beads and can require full power just to move the truck at times. all locked up in low range with the foot pegged to the floor you can heat up just about anything to the brink of disaster. In those conditions my truck runs dead cool where with a 4 row radiator it would heat sink after about 10 min of use before.

I also installed one into a 95LWB that pulls horse trailers all the time. From the time it was brand new it would heat up while pulling grades with the horse trailer. With the 5 row it never gets hot at all. The owner could not believe the difference that the 5 row radiator made.

I also installed one into my 95 RRC and I have pulled my heavy ski boat alot with it and it runs much cooler all the time including 90+ degree days with the AC on pulling the trailer.

The 5 row radiater does make a difference and does improve the cooling on these truck.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Ok well, might be because the LR mechanical fan pulls pretty hard. The problems I've seen with the approach generally involve street/drag cars with smaller engine driven fans or aftermarket electric fans that can't stay cool while idling.

Just to bring more info into the thread, how does this situation relate to D2 rads?

KMW

Find a good local shop and have it recored. Bite the bullet on it, I have on my trucks (went from a 3.5 to a 3.9 in the my '87 Rangie, and the resurrection build on my wife's Disco).

When I did the 3.9 swap on the Rangie I went to a shop a "friend of a friend" suggested -- I hadn't been back in town long, was still finding my way around who did what. That radiator leaked early on, and still had the "spontaneous overheating" issue, I think all they did was a sloppy rod job...then I went back to the shop that had done the radiator on my first car way back; they were still around, had moved on to doing heavy truck and military work, but still did "small" radiators for some customers. They've built both of my current Rover radiators, no issues, engine temp right where it should be even in 100+ weather...a really skilled radiator guy is a good "car friend" to have.

I don't regret it at all. Considering what passes as "original replacement" with some of the parts vendors I wouldn't waste time ordering "new" when a good shop can build better than new. To be honest I don't recall what cores were used, I'd have to dig up the paperwork. I think these recore jobs were in the $400 to $600 range.

muskyman

Explorer
Ok well, might be because the LR mechanical fan pulls pretty hard. The problems I've seen with the approach generally involve street/drag cars with smaller engine driven fans or aftermarket electric fans that can't stay cool while idling.

Just to bring more info into the thread, how does this situation relate to D2 rads?

I have not seen the heat loading in a DII like in the D1.

I have a gut feeling that the trans cooler in the D1/RRC adds to the issue because when the trans shifts down to third on hills is when the temp really soars. That is also when the TC unlocks so the creates heat.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Yeah, could be. The DII doesn't have an in-tank cooler, just the oil-air cooler. So it's not dumping heat into the cooling system. And with the 4.6, I don't kick down into 3rd very often.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3