Sportz SUV tent

spikemd

Explorer
I came across this surfing the web and wondered what you guys thought. I know it isn't a roof top tent, but those are just too expensive for me right now. The tent is freestanding, but one side opens up to the hatch on the back your truck. its a cool concept not having to unload everything from your car and have the extra storage space from the inside of your vehicle. The SUV model has the awning, which is also a nice feature and at 6'4" tall in the middle, you can stand up. At around $200-250 it seems reasonable. They also have a model a bit smaller for wagons/small SUVs that is only $130 at Costco. Any thoughts?

200x200_midsizesuvtent.jpg

http://www.realtruck.com/productline/144/207/1/sportz_suv_and_minivan_tent.html

The Dome and Go for wagons/small SUVs: ($130 at Costco)
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11252813

The larger one for SUVs: ($230 at Costco)
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11252770
A different color from the pic above. Not sure if it is last years model or newer...

Last edited:

Carlyle

Explorer
It's a good quality tent that we attach to the back of our truck camper for extra room when setting up for more than a day or two. I put snaps around the door of the camper and on the tent and it works great.
DSC00799.jpg

mk4

Observer
Sportz/Napier SUV tents come in three sizes. A small one for wagons/hatchbacks, a mid-sized one for mid-sized SUV's, and a large one for large SUV's. I don't know about the small one, but it seems rather useless. The medium is 8.5 x 8.5 and has a center height of over 7 ft. The large is 10 x 10 and its center is also over 7 ft.

Both of them feature two opposing doors (on the side), a large window, awning, two roof vents, rainfly, and detachable dock.

I prefer and use regularly the mid-sized one. It's perfect for my needs. I use it as a cabin and sleep in the car. I think the mid-sized one is better because its walls are nearly vertical and the space is perfect for a couple, or a couple and a little one.

It's built well and can withstand moderate (up to 40 mph) winds. Even more if you point your SUV into the wind. The poles are 0.6 or 0.5 aluminum and the tent can be set up by one person. Erecting takes under five minutes.

I only wish they sold a canvas version.

Wonkinator

We have the large one and it works fine. To me, it's a pain in the @ss to take down (dirty/muddy) and the bag is tight to try to get it back into. (okay, so I'm lazy!). I wish I could devise a way to flip it down from the roof rack and flip it back up.

It is nice, once set up, for a couple of chairs and to store gear, and it's a good place for the dog to sleep.

Lynn

Expedition Leader
Carlyle said:
It's a good quality tent that we attach to the back of our truck camper for extra room when setting up for more than a day or two. I put snaps around the door of the camper and on the tent and it works great.

Carlyle,

A while back I was admiring the pole-supported 'awnings' that Europeans can get for their 'caravans', and was wishing we had something like that here. I'd seen the SUV tents before, but never thought of using one in the way that you are. Good thinking.

Here's a picture of the type of Euro awning I was admiring:

renishaw_889p1.jpg

from this site.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gotfuzz