SPOT Connect works with your smart phone

haven

Expedition Leader
"How does this work when you are in a remote region with no cell phone signal?"

The Spot connects to the Internet using its satellite transmitter. It can send an emergency signal with GPS coordinates, no cell phone needed. Pairing with a phone gives you a way to prepare text messages, and to choose the recipient of the message.

The Spot differs from the Delorme InTouch in one critical way: The Spot can only send messages. The InTouch sends and receives messages via satellite.

Lostmanifesto

Traveler
I got to use a friends new spot with iPhone and I still prefer my older spot 2. The new spot is restricted to the cell device and now they also charge per message. The old units you have to enter your designated messages online to each button on the device before you go but there is NO LIMIT and no limit for tracking either. A step down if you ask me.

DrMoab

Explorer
Lostmanifesto, you are only partially correct. They don't charge you for every message. Only the ones you manually create with your phone to send like a text. If its one of your precanned messages which you set up just like a spot 1 or 2 there is no charge and it's unlimited. Honestly, the ability to send a message saying "I'm broke and I need a water pump" is worth every cent of the .50 per message they charge.

FlyNdrive

Adventurer
Lostmanifesto, you are only partially correct. They don't charge you for every message. Only the ones you manually create with your phone to send like a text. If its one of your precanned messages which you set up just like a spot 1 or 2 there is no charge and it's unlimited. Honestly, the ability to send a message saying "I'm broke and I need a water pump" is worth every cent of the .50 per message they charge.

I agree with Ryan. Last winter (our summer) I was in the Simpson Desert and was able to send detailed messages about delays due to poor trail conditions missing a check in that would otherwise sent out a search party. I would take the connect over any of the SPOI 1 or 2 any day.

In short....don't knock it unless you've tried it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater