spring rate vs trailer weight?

radebaugh03

Observer
This question is directed to folks who can offer solid advice on what weight springs I should install to compliment my total trailer weight. I have asked several outside sources and am getting mixed opinions of course , so I need further assist here.
The axle on the trailer I just purchased is rated at 3500 pounds and the springs are of course rated at 1750 each. (Its a well built new commercial utility trailer that I will modify for my use). The total trailer weight (trailer and cargo) when done will be 1100 pounds. That weight wil not vary a 100 pounds ever.. Obviously the current spring rate of 3500 wil produce a very harse ride.
I have ordered springs that will bolt right on and they are rated at 1250ea.(2500 total) Much lighter of course--but still too heavy maybe?
I will run 30 x 9.5 6 ply tires on 15 in wheels. Short of going to a Torflex or Timbren ( which I have experience with) , what spring rate is a good starting point? Seems to me that 2500 total will still be a bit harse.
I know some of this is subjective but after reviewing threads that list trailer weights in the 1000 to 1100# range that 2000 pounds springs are most popular.
Finding springs that match in other dimensions is the challenge then. Example- I found 1000 springs but instead of 3 leafs there are only 2 leafs. Is that an issue? (If I have to weld on new shackles etc I will just go with independent and be done with it).
My tow is a JKU and I will be on some knarly 2 track stuff now and then and I want the AluCab that will be mounted on this trailer to have a nice supple ride under it!
Assist please..
Thanks
J.R.

old_CWO

I would wait until the trailer is done, tow it fully loaded and see what you think. If you need to soften up the ride, it's okay to remove leafs from the pack. That is a common way to tune leaf springs. Trailer springs are notoriously stiff so removing a leaf or two can help.
With your choice in tire don't ignore the possibility of simply lowering the tire pressure. I had a little camping trailer on 30x9.50s and ran them at 20 psi on pavement. Even then they barely had a sidewall bulge and ran cool to the touch after many hours on the interstate. That one weighed about 750 lbs. loaded and had 2 leaf 20" long trailer slipper springs. It actually towed very nicely both on and off road. No broken eggs or foamy beer or anything!

dytrdr5

I used Jeep YJ leaf springs on my trailer, I got the OME 2.5 inch lift heavy duty. They are 4 leaf spring pack and my trailers weight will be very similar to yours, my trailer isn't done yet but you can check out my build on this forum. They also offer the benefit of being around 48 inches long so they will be more stable off-road, Barnes 4WD offers some great brackets and mounts

CampStewart

Observer
I agree 100 percent with the 2 posts above. If you want to stick with the stock hangers just play with removing different leafs but if you want the best ride go with some form of YJ leafs, even consider stock height

Louisd75

Adventurer
I'd remove a leaf. I've got the 3500lb axle and spring set on my ~1600lb trailer with shock absorbers. It was a package deal from Dexter. It rode very harsh. I dropped the air pressure quite a bit in the tires (235 85 16 e rated) and it helped, but not much. I removed the shortest leaf spring off the bottom and it made a tremendous difference. I was surprised at how much it changed the ride. I had originally intended on ordering a new, lighter duty spring pack but now I'm just running it as is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle