Spur of the Moment 3600mi road trip.

S

Scenic WonderRunner

Thank you.....ywen!

Awesome trip and pics!

Keep Going!....:sombrero::safari-rig::costumed-smiley-007:safari-rig::ylsmoke:

korisu56

Adventurer
was a pleasure to read. Great job on photos. I just enrolled in a photography class so I can learn to use my SLR.

ywen

Explorer
thanks everyone! Still more to post.. been lazy the past few days with getting all the photos sorted.

Eeyore

Really amazing scenery! Thanks for sharing, I'll be adding this to my list of places to go. Very nice!

ywen

Explorer
Thanks for all the comments!

As i mentioned in my previous post: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showpost.php?p=798995&postcount=28

I was extremely underwhelmed by the campsite at Wahweap, and the fact that Glen Canyon NRA backcountry roads were closed due to the weather. "At least I have Antelope Canyon and Monument Valley to look forward to." was my thought at the time. I mean I didn't come all the way out here for nothing!

I woke up the next morning to falling sleet. Apparently a huge storm rolled thru the area and more was on the way from Flagstaff. DOH! Why did I not check the forecast before heading out!? According to the ranger at Glen Canyon Dam, a significant portion of the road for my trip back to Moab was covered in snow (Blanding to Moab). Arrghh.. that means no time for Antelope Canyon.

I started heading back towards Moab. Passed by the Lower Antelope Canoyon parking lot and didn't see any car there so that made my decision to skip it a bit easier to swallow

I stopped by Monument Valley to check it out and took some pictures. The trail was closed but I could ride as passenger in the tour vehicles. It didn't seem worth it to me in the poor weather.

monumentvallepano.jpg

img5284l.jpg

Something irked me about the area being so commercialized. However, I suppose they are the real natives to the land and whatever income is good for the people so I can't complain. Still the miles and miles of fencing was not something I enjoyed seeing as i drove thru the area.

I had to take another picture of the Forrest Gump road on the way back. This time in dramatic storm clouds.

img5300h.jpg

img5303s.jpg

Then I experienced the worst road condition starting from Mexican Hat all the way to Moab. Whiteout condition and snow covered road for the entire drive, with a semi tailing for me a good portion of it.

p1030228y.jpg

After 6 hours of driving finally made it back to Moab! Got a motel for the night and coordinated with my buddy in Dillon, CO for meeting up on NYE. This meant I had another full day to spend in the Moab area. More storm the next day so perhaps I can put my snow shoes to good use.

p1030242r.jpg

p1030244copy.jpg

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
Too bad you ran into the rude weather and the roads North of Lake Powell were too muddy to explore. You'll have to come back down in drier times and play some more. Lots to enjoy and photograph when the weather cooperates.

Nice shots of the "Mittens" in Monument valley. :victory:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nepaltourism