SS/fixed commuter, training, beater bike suggestion?

1speed

Explorer
I used cyclocross levers on both bikes mainly to keep the minimalist look. With the fixed gear you really don't need the rear brake but for street riding I would run the front for sure. I ran with no brakes for the first few hundred miles with no problems but since then I have had to panic stop a few times and was glad I had it.

7wt

Expedition Leader
I went to look at bikes again and saw a Steamroller and thought it was pretty neat. I have been thinking about selling my mountain bike to pick up something like the Roller. Heck, I may even do fixed gear. Then I found the Trek District. This thing screams me. I like the aluminum frame, the techno belt drive and even the color. Has anyone ridden one?
http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/urban/district/district/

Does something like the District or Steamroller lend themselves for longer rides? I ask because they are billed as commuter bikes but I want something to do something like a ten mile ride with the girlfriend. Any thoughts? Yes, I realize the Trek and the Surly are on opposite ends of the spectrum in regards to classic throw backs to techno weenie bikes.

1speed

Explorer
I went to look at bikes again and saw a Steamroller and thought it was pretty neat. I have been thinking about selling my mountain bike to pick up something like the Roller. Heck, I may even do fixed gear. Then I found the Trek District. This thing screams me. I like the aluminum frame, the techno belt drive and even the color. Has anyone ridden one?
http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/urban/district/district/

Does something like the District or Steamroller lend themselves for longer rides? I ask because they are billed as commuter bikes but I want something to do something like a ten mile ride with the girlfriend. Any thoughts? Yes, I realize the Trek and the Surly are on opposite ends of the spectrum in regards to classic throw backs to techno weenie bikes.

I know absolutely nothing about the Trek. I do 35+ mile, 18-21 mph average rides on my fixed gear Steamroller weekly and have done as long as 45 miles with no problems. I plan on doing a Century ride fixed eventually.
Throw a flip flop hub on it and have the best of both worlds.

Cackalak Han

Explorer
7wt - If you're going to get an aluminum SS, try a Langster. Seems much cheaper. My LBS has them at below $600. But for longer rides, I prefer steel. I sold my aluminum 29er SS last year for a steel version. Much better. For the short stints, I do like my aluminum roadie, though.

1speed - Fixed century....... You really do like pain, huh? :D

Last edited:

Cackalak Han

Explorer
Ok, so an update. I have decided that the bike is too small for me, and will hand it over to the wife. I thought it would work, but riding around, just felt too small. I thought the frame size was a 55 or so, but it ended up being a 50-52cm (20.5in from center of BB to center of TT). Oh, well. But I guess now I need to look for another bike/frame. I think I will order a Surly from Universal Cycles ($350 shipped). Time to look for some parts…

EDIT: Ok, the same place, Universal Cycles, has a complete bike for $612 SHIPPED to my door. Should I get this instead of building one up? Then upgrade as necessary? Or should I exercise some patience and build up from the frame? Here is the list of the components.

Frame - 100% Surly 4130 CroMoly steel. Main triangle double butted. TIG-welded
Fork - 100% CroMoly, lugged and brazed. 1-1/8" threadless steer tube
Headset - Ritchey Logic Comp 1-1/8" threadless, w/ 30mm spacers. Black
Stem - Kalloy 1-1/8" threadless. Forged. 26.0mm clamp. Black
Handlebars - PMT Aluminum. Black
Handlebar wrap - Co-Union Cork Mix Feels good. Black
Brake Lever - Tektro RL570 Front cross lever. Black
Brake - Tektro R356 Front caliper. Black
Crankset - Andel Forged arms. 47t ring. Black
Bottom Bracket - Sugino 68x103mm
Seatpost - Kalloy - SP-248D 27.2mm Black
Seatpost Clamp - Surly Stainless Black stainless steel
Saddle - WTB SST Steel rails. Black
Cog - Surly fixed gear 3/32" 19tooth, Surly lockring included (f/w not included)
Chain - SRAM PC-48
Hubs - Surly 2hole, 120mm OLD fixed/free. Black
Spokes - DT Swiss 14g stainless. Silver
Rims - Alex DA-13 00c, 32 hole. Black
Tires - Maxxis Detonator 700c x 25. Tanwall

Last edited:

1speed

Explorer
The price seems reasonable.

The good: You have something to ride immediately and if you like the bike you can keep your eye out for good deals on parts and upgrade it later. If you don't like it your not out as much money.

The bad: These complete bikes scrimp on component quality. Kalloy stuff, for instance is very low end.

Cackalak Han

Explorer
The price seems reasonable.

The good: You have something to ride immediately and if you like the bike you can keep your eye out for good deals on parts and upgrade it later. If you don't like it your not out as much money.

The bad: These complete bikes scrimp on component quality. Kalloy stuff, for instance is very low end.

1speed: Looking from a long-term aspect, I think it will be better if I build it up. I'll order the frame next week. Thanks!

Cackalak Han

Explorer
1speed, what do you think of this order list? All of it (including the frame) comes to $557.90 shipped (15% discount). I have various other parts, like a chainring, chain, saddle, seat post, cables, and stem.

Shimano BR-4500 Tiagra Brake Caliper
Front
Item #: 16708-38892
$32.99

Cane Creek S3 Headsets
Black 1 1/8"
$46.00

Soma Urban Pursuit Bars
25.4 x 40 cm (Black)
Item #: 22587-52011
$30.00

Shimano R550 Cantilever Brake Levers
Black Pair
Item #: 15693-35263
$19.99

Sugino BB3 Bottom Bracket
68 x 103mm English
Item #: 16123-36785
$38.00

Sugino Messenger Crankarm Set
170mm
Item #: 14690-32252
$63.00

Surly Steamroller Frameset
56.0 cm (Creamroller)
Item #: 26387-60340
$420.00

EDIT: will probably go with another handlebar since that one's only a 25.4 and I can't find threadless stems in that size.

1speed

Explorer
Looks like some good, basic, tried and true parts. Get the thing built and let me know how long it takes before you park the geared bike and forget about it! :bike_rider:

jdlcruiser

Just a word about the district. Very cool bike, super slick and trendy but not yet available from Trek. Sorry, just saw this thread thought I would drop that. Steam roller is way cool. Currently my most used ride is an old schwinn steel with f/f rear hub. Fixed fixes your stroke so you do not cheat when clipped in and pedaling. If you go fixed bigger is better because there is no cost and you will run out of spin before you get to the bottom of the hill. Great stuff, liked the post.
JLa

Cackalak Han

Explorer
A LBS was able to come close to the UC prices, so I'll be getting the frame/fork through them (they were higher, but I felt better giving them business). They said it should be here this week! :D

1speed

Explorer
Great! I've developed relationships with two LBSs in my area and have made some good friends in the process. I'm with you, I don't mind spending a few extra bucks to support local guys. Plus it gives me a few extra places to hang out and swap stories! :sombrero:

Cackalak Han

Explorer
1speed – Will a 9sp Ultegra crank work? Better than the Sugino's? A local guy is selling a used crank and BB for ~$50. I've already got a 130mm SS chainring, which I don't know if it'll fit, either. Is this a better way to go or go with the Sugino Messenger? (Ultegra 6500)

Last edited:

1speed

Explorer
1speed – Will a 9sp Ultegra crank work? Better than the Sugino’s? A local guy is selling a used crank and BB for ~$50. I’ve already got a 130mm SS chainring, which I don’t know if it’ll fit, either. Is this a better way to go or go with the Sugino Messenger? (Ultegra 6500)

Either way should be fine. I converted an old steel frame with what was an old Shimano 105 Bio Pace crank with a single ring. Just use chain-ring bolts for a single ring. You may have to run the ring in front or behind the arm depending on the alignment. I'm not sure either what the bolt circle spread is on that Shimano crank.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater