Stackable Storage Totes

mattpayne11

Hi,

I was about to pull the trigger on some Front Runner Wolf Packs but I measured and they won't contain a great deal of the equipment I need to bring. I'm really looking for a stackable solution. Perhaps I can get away with two Wolf Packs and then a larger single container for my longer items (up to 22.5" long on the inside) - this would be for tents / pads / solar stuff).

Any ideas?

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
How big and how tough do you need?

I use the Sterilite 1464 Totes. (25 3/4" L x 17 1/4" W x 11 7/8" H ) They're light weight, and stack/interlock fairly well because of how the lids and bottoms are molded. However, they are also light-duty and due to the tapered sides, these are only about 67% efficient. (Pretty average for most molded plastic totes, the wolf-pack boxes are ~66% efficient due to the way the ribbing is molded, for example.)

I like them because they're light (4.8lbs vs about 13 lbs for 2 wolf-packs to hold the same volume of stuff) and inexpensive. The big single box can let stuff shift around if filled with small items, so I've segmented one of mine with repositionable coroplast dividers.

chuckbox2.jpg

mattpayne11

I use the Sterilite 1464 Totes. (25 3/4" L x 17 1/4" W x 11 7/8" H ) They're light weight, and stack/interlock fairly well because of how the lids and bottoms are molded. However, they are also light-duty and due to the tapered sides, these are only about 67% efficient. (Pretty average for most molded plastic totes, the wolf-pack boxes are ~66% efficient due to the way the ribbing is molded, for example.)

Nice with the coroplast. I have almost the same tote already that I was storing my stove/gas/pots/pans in that I figure I can re-use for these longer items no problem. Thanks for the suggestion.

jgaz

Adventurer
This is what I’m using now. Weather strip has been added to the lid since my original post. Very weatherproof now.

Im firmly in the @Herbie camp of using coroplast dividers.

dnorrell

Adventurer
Have you considered the Plano Sportsman’s Trunk options? They do stack, though perhaps not as securely as you may need. I have six of the medium size in OD green and love them. I really like the form factor because I can store spray bottles and other taller liquids upright, and I’ve found that tricky in other style totes.

mattpayne11

Have you considered the Plano Sportsman’s Trunk options? They do stack, though perhaps not as securely as you may need. I have six of the medium size in OD green and love them. I really like the form factor because I can store spray bottles and other taller liquids upright, and I’ve found that tricky in other style totes.

Thanks for the suggestion - I really prefer something that locks into place in some way which was what was attractive about the Front Runner... I think the Sterlite option might be the best.

mattpayne11

I like them because they're light (4.8lbs vs about 13 lbs for 2 wolf-packs to hold the same volume of stuff) and inexpensive. The big single box can let stuff shift around if filled with small items, so I've segmented one of mine with repositionable coroplast dividers.

View attachment 629749

Hey sorry to bother you again - looking at the coroplast inserts - what are those metal things that keep it together?

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Orbit 5 Pack (50 Total Stakes) Drip Irrigation Tubing Stakes - 1/4 Inch Tube - 10 Pack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MFWXSPA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_hH41FbZWVY17W

These are what I used. I believe I got the link from the @Herbie blog.

I've used a number of things. The Drip Irrigation stakes are definitely the cheapest and easiest since they're pre-formed. The only bummer is that they're slightly undersized for the holes in most coroplast, so if you have items wedged tightly into the spaces (as I do in a camera case I did this way), then they don't resist popping out quite as much as I'd like. "Lawn Staples" for holding down turf and weed-barriers are also a good option, but slightly harder to use since they have ~1" width instead of a tight "U" bend. (You have to offset them to one side or the other, usually.)

If you get your coroplast the way I do lately, which is by harvesting old political yard signs off the side of the road, then the stakes that are used to plant those into the dirt are the perfect diameter (but you have to cut and fold them into the U-shape). In a pinch, coat-hanger wire works too!

Drumber

Observer
Plus 1 for Sterilite boxes. They are dirt cheap and decently strong. My only gripe is that you can't stand on them like you could with an Action Packer or WolfPack box.

Reactions: WVI

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77