Starting my 1949 willys wagon expo build

Midnightburn

Awesome! I have subscribed and will be watching this build closely. I agree with you that the Wagoneer frame and axles will be a terrific swap. I used an 84 Wagoneer frame, axles, suspension, and drivetrain for a Willys Pickup a few years ago and it worked out very nicely. The frames are very similar, but much stronger. Plus you get the power steering and much better suspension components.

Great find by the way. It's great to see another one on its way to a brand new life!

I just got mine on the road after about 7 months of hard work.

MountainWillys.jpg

Can't wait to see more photos of your progress.

Last edited:

jeepmedic46

Expedition Leader
Awesome! I have subscribed and will be watching this build closely. I agree with you that the Wagoneer frame and axles will be a terrific swap. I used an 84 Wagoneer frame, axles, suspension, and drivetrain for a Willys Pickup a few years ago and it worked out very nicely. The frames are very similar, but much stronger. Plus you get the power steering and much better suspension components.

Great find by the way. It's great to see another one on its way to a brand new life!

I just got mine on the road after about 7 months of hard work.

MountainWillys.jpg

Can't wait to see more photos of your progress.
That is a beautiful Willy's. Nice build.:smiley_drive:

tag187

Observer
New updates

Ok guys, I know its been a bit since I have updated this but blame the Army not me. So anyway on to the new stuff.

I have pulled the frame from the Willy's and cut out the floor pans. I am still doing grinding and cutting on the body and other parts. As for the donor
(1988 Grand Wagoner) I have pulled apart the front end (in prep for pulling the drive train and frame this week:wings:), and cut out the floor pans to use as replacements for the Willy's. I was so happy when I did some measurements and realized I could use them. We chopped up the front doors to scavenge the lower jambs (they make outer skins for my Willy's doors just not the lower jamb piece). I pulled the side cargo area windows to have them cut to fit my 2 piece wind shied, and have stripped down the rear bench seat to use. The bench will need to be cut in half and narrowed by about 6 inches though. we plan on using a few interior parts as well.

This week we will be pulling the frame and drive train. The plan is to keep the motor and all drive train parts, and just upgrade them. I am also working out a plan for cutting the rear cargo area off the body, chopping off the roof and building a expo trailer out of it. But that's another story and a whole other thread (just keep you eyes out).

The pics show the frame dropped on the Willy's and some shots of the donor Wagoner before we started chopping on it.

Attachments

• IMG_3016.JPG
    IMG_3016.JPG
    104.9 KB · Views: 333
  • IMG_2988.JPG
    IMG_2988.JPG
    140.6 KB · Views: 266
  • IMG_2989.JPG
    IMG_2989.JPG
    148.2 KB · Views: 260
  • IMG_2990.JPG
    IMG_2990.JPG
    127.9 KB · Views: 279

Desert Dan

Explorer
Looking Good

I had a 1962 Willy's Wagon (6 cyl OHC) and I get sentmental all the time. I would love to have a Willys Wagon, Jeepster and Pickup.

You have to decide on how much time you want to spend on working on your rig and how much time you want to spend driving and exploring with it.

Safety, good brakes, steering, HVAC parts availabilty etc are all thing to consider when re-building 50 yr old vehicle. I would eyher keep it all stock or put the old body on a newer frame but in that case why not just drive a newer vehicle.

tag187

Observer
Looking Good

I had a 1962 Willy's Wagon (6 cyl OHC) and I get sentmental all the time. I would love to have a Willys Wagon, Jeepster and Pickup.

You have to decide on how much time you want to spend on working on your rig and how much time you want to spend driving and exploring with it.

Safety, good brakes, steering, HVAC parts availabilty etc are all thing to consider when re-building 50 yr old vehicle. I would eyher keep it all stock or put the old body on a newer frame but in that case why not just drive a newer vehicle.[

This is my 5th ground up rebuild, to me it's not about new or old it's about being unique. I also don't plan on driving/exploring with this one till it's done. Because as you said safety is number one and to me they aren't safe till they are done.

ccarley

Adventurer
Although it makes me sad to see another Wagoneer (or two?) off the road, it makes me happy to see the parts getting put to good use!

I totally dig the old Willy's Wagons. Good luck with the build, I can't wait to see more progress.

tag187

Observer
Although it makes me sad to see another Wagoneer (or two?) off the road, it makes me happy to see the parts getting put to good use!

I totally dig the old Willy's Wagons. Good luck with the build, I can't wait to see more progress.

I hated to chop up a Waggy too, but this one (just this one, I am rebuilding the other) is a total basket case anyway. It was gonna need a lot of body work, at least part of the top removed, full interior and a motor rebuild . So I decided what the hell I have a Willys in need and I don't mind putting this basket case to good use. Hope you FSJ guy's approve!

tag187

Observer
Well got the GW all tore down and whoever decided to not make the nuts to the body mounts on those things accessable should be shot. Anyway, rolled the chassis under the willys for a test fit and it sure is nice:drool:! I need to relocate the engine and transmission back about 8 inches. I will do that when I pull them for rebuild. I also may need to relocate the front axle back a few inches too, we will see. It has been a little slow going but after seeing it on a chassis, has been worth it. Here are the pics and please excuse my messy garage, we have been moving and keeping it clean is not part of my timeframe right now;)

Attachments

• IMG_3290.JPG
    IMG_3290.JPG
    139.2 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_3289.JPG
    IMG_3289.JPG
    115.3 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_3288.JPG
    IMG_3288.JPG
    124.4 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_3291.JPG
    IMG_3291.JPG
    108.9 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_3292.JPG
    IMG_3292.JPG
    128.8 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_3293.JPG
    IMG_3293.JPG
    126.2 KB · Views: 75

dirty Bakers

Conservative
Looks great. Is there any wheel well enlarging in the future? If so you could move the body forward a few inches also.

tag187

Observer
I am giving some thought to enlarging them although I will most likely I will still need to do some reloacting of both the engine and front axle so I may just leave it. After Christmas I am gonna hop back to work on it so we will see.

SavageSunJeep

Adventurer
Santa brought it:

55 Willys Wagon, Chevy V8, otherwise all original.

Send me a PM and let me know where you are located, maybe we can get together, I am in Phoenix, AZ.

JUST starting my build, so I am watching you closely....

Attachments

• 26122009326.jpg
    26122009326.jpg
    335.2 KB · Views: 48
  • 26122009328.jpg
    26122009328.jpg
    291.1 KB · Views: 62
  • 27122009334.jpg
    27122009334.jpg
    848.6 KB · Views: 56

Forum statistics

Threads