Stock height measurements.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
I'm thinking I may want to replace my rear springs with new OEM or slightly higher rate springs, to account for age and sag.

Is there a website that lists the stock bumper height for my XJ?

Not necessarily looking to lift it, just to get it back to full strength and maybe a bit more.

For example BJ's offroad has stock height spring replacements for fullsize jeeps. looking for the same kind of thing, or maybe a junkyard swap?

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
oh, and when I go over a large swale/dip in the road, I've got a major clunk noise coming from the drivetrain. Its only when the vehicle is travelling down, compressing the suspension. I'm thinkin' maybe worn out control arm bushings, etc, so this would attempt to solve that problem, too, once I identify the problem. Might throw in some aftermarket or WJ control arms with new bushings.

Momrocks

Adventurer
OME makes an add-a-leaf. I am not all that big a fan of AAL but in truth only have experience on K10 20 years ago. In research of XJ forums the OME AAL is held in fairly high regard. It is said to add some cap and remain somewhat supple. Contact Dirk at DPG Offroad and pick his brain. Beware some other AAL for XJs, seems from the rumor boards not all AAL are created equal. I think the OME may fit the bill you've described.

Momrocks

Adventurer
oh, and when I go over a large swale/dip in the road, I've got a major clunk noise coming from the drivetrain. Its only when the vehicle is travelling down, compressing the suspension. I'm thinkin' maybe worn out control arm bushings, etc, so this would attempt to solve that problem, too, once I identify the problem. Might throw in some aftermarket or WJ control arms with new bushings.

The bushings on some of our old XJs have given up the ghost. If you determine the clunk is coming from bushings and decide to replace them, please stick to OEM style rubber bushings. You'll find with poly or similar (solid) style bushings that too much shock is transmitted to bracketry and body. The OEM style rubber bushings are much more civil. You won't get nearly as much road noise resonating around in the unibody and are probably easier on your mounting points.

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
Yeah, along with that maybe consider the RE Super Ride arms. They are poly in one end and rubber in the other (chassis side). Decent compromise.

IF you are going to do this much work maybe consider a mild self lift while you have everything apart? Say 1"-2"? New leaves and shackles, coils and spacers. Adjustable arms.

JAT

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Yeah, along with that maybe consider the RE Super Ride arms. They are poly in one end and rubber in the other (chassis side). Decent compromise.

IF you are going to do this much work maybe consider a mild self lift while you have everything apart? Say 1"-2"? New leaves and shackles, coils and spacers. Adjustable arms.

JAT

yeah, brother, you're like the little voice in my head I swear...haha!

It may prove more cost effective/timely in the long run, if i'm finding everything worn out...:)

My wife just smiles and says, "just do it, you know you want to." lol. :sombrero:

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
Stock bumper height i dont know, but most check lift height by comparing bottom of flare to axleshaft center heights of: 17" front and 17.5" rear for the non-upcountry equipped XJ's.

HTH's..

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
rear measured @ 16", front is the same...

I noticed a lot of cracking on the LCA bushings, but nothing catastrophic, really.

noticed also that the trans mount looked knackered... thats a pretty good "possible" for my clunk source.

-b

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
noticed also that the trans mount looked knackered... thats a pretty good "possible" for my clunk source.

-b

Most likely, there is not much room between the exhaust pipe and crossmember. When the mount is bad it allows the driveline torque to rotate the pipe into the crossmember. You may want to inspect the motor mounts as well, when one goes it pretty common the others follow suit.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Most likely, there is not much room between the exhaust pipe and crossmember. When the mount is bad it allows the driveline torque to rotate the pipe into the crossmember. You may want to inspect the motor mounts as well, when one goes it pretty common the others follow suit.

yeah, checked them on that specific hunch, but they actually looked very good. didn't see any hairline cracks/dryrot or funkyness.

I know how to drop and replace the trans. mount, but I've read that there are two different mount heights, something like 1.5" and 3". Is there a way to tell what I need or is there a year cutoff?

From the space in there now, I'd say 3" is a very wide gap, and that 1.5" seems about right, but It could be VERY compressed...:coffee:

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach