Stock or near stock vehicles

rfroy

Observer
Who here keeps their expedition vehicles in stock or near stock condition? I have a new to me 2006 Sierra extended cab 4x4 with a cap. Looming to do a leveling kit and shock upgrade but other than that keep it stock. This truck is also my daily driver so keeping mpg up is important.

Looking for others with similar setups and would love to see pictures of your vehicles in action.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

cowboy63645

Adventurer
I have a 2007 Chevy CCSB Classic. I have a rough country leveling kit, 1.5" zone body lift and 285/70/17 tires. I did have black bear retune my computer to recalibrate the speedometer for the larger tire size and to help add some power to the truck. In doing the tune I did notice almost 2 mpg increase in both city and highway driving. The only other thing I have done to the truck is a K&N drop in filter, magnaflow muffler to replace to factory muffler, an in bed toolbox and a camper shell. Looking at the truck from a distance, you wouldn't notice it from a stock one unless I am parked next to a similar truck.

Sent from my RM-940_nam_att_200 using Tapatalk

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Who here keeps their expedition vehicles in stock or near stock condition? I have a new to me 2006 Sierra extended cab 4x4 with a cap. Looming to do a leveling kit and shock upgrade but other than that keep it stock. This truck is also my daily driver so keeping mpg up is important.

Looking for others with similar setups and would love to see pictures of your vehicles in action.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

With that setup you can easily run 255/85/16's, it will add ground clearance but not affect your mpg the way a wider tire would.

JHa6av8r

Adventurer
My 2013 Silverado 3500 HD is stock - CCSB, Z71. The tire is 265/70-18. I have a FWC Grandby camper in the back that's a little under 2,000 lbs loaded. Actually had it on some pretty good jeep trails. A couple more inches lift might be nicer, but it's a great off road truck for my use. I'll keep it stock for reliability.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I have been known to lift or modify a truck from time to time, but what you are looking at doing with the levelling kit and a slightly larger tire should get you to 95% of the places you want. Within reason, the stocker the better-er.

4x4tripping

Adventurer
That question will start an never ending discussion :wings:
-
For saving money and to have a good fuel usage - keep it stock. Anything who levels the car up will need more fuel at the end.
-
It is all about - how much compromises you can do. Compromise for an daily driver, compromise for the overlanding rig.
-
When you have finished your build, you dont will find someone who would do exactly the same - therefore it may not help that much - to ask this question.
-
If you want to do some overlanding stuff - why you dont look for a car who is able to do that what you want - in stock configuration?
-
Have a look at this thread: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/5175-mods-you-wouldnt-do-again could save you some money too.
-

86tuning

Adventurer
My 80-series is very close to stock. I added a winch and hid it inside the original front bumper. I did a 2" lift and put on the biggest tires that would fit (35") and that's pretty much it, unless you count the cb radio, GPS, and LED backup lamps.

I wouldn't hesitate to take it anywhere tomorrow. In fact, I'm doing a road trip with it for a week. All I will do is check tire pressures, load up my junk and go.

east_tn_81

Adventurer
OEM+. That is what I hear called most often. I keep my truck like this. The engineers that created my truck spent alot of hours figuring out what would make it work. Why would I think I could do better. So the only things I have done is added a real volt gauage, tranny gauage, +3 tires, a magnaflow muffler, after market shocks, and head lamps. I try to keep it stock other wise.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I keep mine very close to stock. I have an extremely mild lift (FJC lift) and an aftermarket bumper and reciever hitch but other than that I'm pretty much stock. I see no need to mess with the engine or axles. I suppose it might be nice to have a locker, but an ARB would be about $1500 and it's not that I can't afford that, it's more that if I want to spend that kind of money, I can think of other ways that would probably offer me a better ROI (like a bigger fridge.)

01tundra

Explorer
I've kept the drivetrain, engine, etc. stock on my Tacoma.

Thank goodness it came stock with a rear e-locker.

I've added some light trail armor, slight lift & more aggressive tires.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I'm running 285/75-17 tires rather than 285/70 and replaced the wire rope in the winch with synthetic. Aside from that, it's stock.
It comes with 4.56 gears, one ton axles, winch, front and rear electronic lockers, LSD, & an electronic swaybar disco. Doesn't need much else.
It's a daily driver and gets 11 mpg no matter what.

DSCN4742_zps127d2894.jpg

roadtrip2013533_zps43d8c8fe.jpg

You can see it flexing a little at the beginning of this video.

LR Max

Local Oaf
Guess it depends on what you want to do. But the reality with a number of new vehicles. Jeep Rubicon, Top shelf out GC or Cherokee, LR4, Power Wagon, Xterra Pro-4X, etc, they are pretty darn good straight out of the box. For light wheeling, all you really need is a map and a sammich. There is a guy here with a new stock Pro-4X that is absolutely killing it.

Saw a kid a year or so ago be awesome at an ORV park in a stock 2 door rubicon. Locked it up, 2nd gear, walked the obstacles. Extremely impressive.

madmax718

Explorer
tire tech, traction control , and some really good factory traction options make even stock vehicles very capable. Plus, unless your going through some deep stuff or high break over angles, an extra inch or 2 ground clearance doesn't help quite so much as sliders and armor.

quickfarms

Adventurer
My friends are amazed where I can take my restored 1964 jeep. It does have power locks in each axle.

My personal preference is for a mild lift, 2", slightly bigger tires, better shocks, skid plates, and power locks in the axles.

JHa6av8r

Adventurer
tire tech, traction control , and some really good factory traction options make even stock vehicles very capable. Plus, unless your going through some deep stuff or high break over angles, an extra inch or 2 ground clearance doesn't help quite so much as sliders and armor.
Have to agree about adding sliders and armor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DQblues