STUPID IDEA

Photomike

White Turtle Adventures & Photography
So before I start I'm going to admit this is a stupid idea. I'm also going to admit I know lots of reasons why we shouldn't do it.

But my question is how come van people don't have all the bolt on toys for the side of the van that other overlanders have??

Side gear for pick-ups

I know that you can get the bigger bumpers, I know you can get boxes and racks for the back of the van, and I know you can get roof racks to put stuff on the roof. But what I'm wondering is why don't we attach all the stuff to the side of our van that other overlanders do.

I was just reading a post on here about some of the new things for different vehicles and I realized that everybody has something to bolt on the side except for us poor van people.

Yes I need help, and it is past my bedtime.

ThundahBeagle

Same reason that pickup truck guys who have a camper shell on the bed dont usually have stuff hanging off the sides: there's covered, protected, dry space inside. More so in a van, and it can be all accessed from inside but why put anything outside and expose it to the elements if you dont have to?

Hi-Lift jack on the hood of a Jeep Wrangler? Aside from the obvious hazard in a crash, up here in the North East, that's just a recipe for a rusted frozen Hi-Lift jack.

Rotopax water on the outside? Or for a block of ice in the cold.

Shovel and axe mounted on the roof rack? A blizzard might actually prevent it from becoming a missile in the event of a crash. Unfortunately you might not be able to free it up very easily either.

All that gear on the outside looks cool and adventurous, but it can be a hazard, can be easy to steal, and is exposed to the elements. Just not worth it in my own experience.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Van owners are better educated, more refined and rather sophisticated souls, they prefer to travel inconspicuously, being more subdued and conservative than common "overlanders" who seek attention and recognition by dressing up their vehicles for fantasy adventures, with the exception of those van owners who lose their puppies and kitties then seek public assistance in locating them by offering candy.

Last edited:

Photomike

White Turtle Adventures & Photography
Van owners are better educated, more refined and rather sophisticated souls, they prefer to travel inconspicuously, being more subdued and conservative than common "overlanders" who seek attention and recognition by dressing up their vehicles for fantasy adventures, with the exception of those van owners who lose their puppies, kitties and seek public assistance in locating them by offering candy.

LOVE THIS!!!!!!! 😂😂😂😂

ThundahBeagle

Van owners are better educated, more refined and rather sophisticated souls, they prefer to travel inconspicuously, being more subdued and conservative than common "overlanders" who seek attention and recognition by dressing up their vehicles for fantasy adventures, with the exception of those van owners who lose their puppies, kitties and seek public assistance in locating them by offering candy.

ah...memories of the 1970's and my parents reminding all of us kids to be so very leery of those van drivers. Then the A-Team came out on TV and parents weren't sure what was worse

Farfrumwork

ummm, yeah, I don't think the van world is short on added accessories. LOL

We call it "Bolt-itis", a condition where the owner of said vehicle is compelled to attach every potential add-on to the outside of the vehicle, then generally not need or use it. Like TWO ladders, multiple light bars, or an armoire (or two).

I mean, I like some cool looking ******** too, but I try to keep it real... though, humans are steeped in hypocrisy.

Deserteagle has a very good, and logical, reason as well for not carrying items on the side of a van. Natures pin-stripping can cause auto-removal pretty quick.

iggi

Ian
So before I start I'm going to admit this is a stupid idea. I'm also going to admit I know lots of reasons why we shouldn't do it.

But my question is how come van people don't have all the bolt on toys for the side of the van that other overlanders have??

Side gear for pick-ups

I know that you can get the bigger bumpers, I know you can get boxes and racks for the back of the van, and I know you can get roof racks to put stuff on the roof. But what I'm wondering is why don't we attach all the stuff to the side of our van that other overlanders do.

I was just reading a post on here about some of the new things for different vehicles and I realized that everybody has something to bolt on the side except for us poor van people.

Yes I need help, and it is past my bedtime.
You need to see more vans. I see plenty with all sorts of crap bolted to them.
I don't put stuff on the outside of mine cause I like my gear to be dry, clean and not stolen. Plus why make your fuel economy even worse?

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Now, if you were six years old, would you get in this van to find a puppy?

vision_x_overland_expo_142-jpg.832556

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger