Subarctic ambulance

Made a grocery run to Fairbanks last week. 100 miles up there, drove around town for a few hours hitting all the stores, then home. The "losing the speed signal" problem didn't happen on the trip, though it has happened a couple of times here in Delta.

I got about 16mpg on the trip home. The overdrive and locking torque converter did their jobs.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
This one is under 100k, but of course a lot of idle hours. There is some kind of wiring problem, and occasionally the aftermarket controller loses the speed signal, downshifts to first. Other than that, the transmission seems solid.
I used to be somewhat concerned about idle hours... I've now got about 17,500 hours on my '97 7.3 psd.

My concerns were alleviated when a friend of mine told me one of the tow trucks he drove with a 7.3 had been pinned at 99,999 hours for many years... and it still beat the 6.0s across an intersection. The 7.3 only needed oil changes while the 6.0s were always needing work.

On that grocery run I realized that the compartment door locks where all silted up and didn't work. Oh, well, not much need for them where I live. It would be nice to have them in the big city. I started trying to get them working today, and realized there isn't much insulation in those doors.
IMG_20240812_171345_323.jpg
There's no thermal break, so they'll be cold anyway, but that token effort isn't good for much. I neglected to measure the thickness while I was in there, probably 2". I'll want to take those inner panels off again and insulate them completely.

The compartment latches are Atwood 30916. I hosed the locks out with Triflow, and now they're mostly working. One of them is missing the lock mechanism. It latches, the lock cylinder turns freely, but the cylinder isn't hooked to anything.
IMG_20240812_172211_733.jpg
So far no luck finding a replacement latch, let alone parts for it.

I got projector headlights from Vantage Optical. The old ones were hazy and lousy. These are neither.
IMG_20240909_131415_122.jpg
I did find a Dorman replacement latch that looks like a perfect fit. Dorman 760-5202

Edited to add: Installing the Vantage LED lights was just the same as replacing bulbs. You have to remove the headlight housing to change the bulbs, so it's just pull the old housing as if you were going to change a bulb, then put in the new light in its place.

Last edited:
I have an air compressor, and a 5 gallon aluminium tank, and I want to add air.

It looks as if there's room to mount the tank on the side of the frame amidships. That will mean drilling 4 holes through the side of the frame, two pairs about 18" apart, each pair spaced about 4" apart vertically. The holes will be within a couple inches of the top and bottom of the frame rail.

Does that sound reasonable? Or should I avoid drilling the frame?

I need to pick a compartment to mount the compressor, and get power there, too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3