Subaru Lifts

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
Does anyone have experience with lifting and modifying Subarus? I had an '84 Brat that I drove the wheels off of, including a few trips to Baja. Loved that thing, you could get it unstuck with a good shove. Given the upward course of fuel prices, I thought it would be interesting to create a lightweight, high mileage expo vehicle with the reliable water cooled flat 4. Any thoughts or recommendations (or am I nuckingfutz?)

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
You are nuts! LOL. On a serious note, It can be done:

P9290001.JPG

P9290002.JPG

P9290003.JPG

P9290004.JPG

P9290005.JPG

It can be done:

old_brat.jpg

Scorpion Subaru sells a kit, but they are in AUS so a kit might be pricey to get into the US, and you would be better making your own.

At Scorpion Subaru, we have been manufacturing 50mm body lift kits since 1980 (approx). This product was developed for, and tested in, our Off-Road Race Car. The range covers all 4WD's from 1980 on and includes the Liberty, Imprezza and Forester. Ours is the only kit with NSW DMT type approval and we also have approval for other states. The Body Lift Kit does not alter any steering or suspension geometry, nor are the drive shaft angles affected. The Kit enables the fitment of larger wheels and tyres.

liftkit.jpg

Dcp_0180.jpg

You might want to get in touch with Peter Parks and ask him about Phillip's Brat. He might be able to point you in the right direction.

Hope that helps a bit.

Last edited:

Scott Brady

Founder
I think the best solution would be a tacoma xtra-cab 4wd with the 2.7 liter. Run tall/narrow tires (like a 33x9.5) and do the intake and header/exhaust mods.

Make sure to get one with manual hubs too, and then fit a low profile shell to the back.

You would have great mileage (25+ mpg) and still have good trail performance.

Just MHO

Oh, and those brats are cool. I wanted one sooooo bad when I was 10-15 years old.

chet

island Explorer
there was an article in aus4wd about a company that makes a lift kit for the forrester and legacy. They also made bumpers very cool rigs and perfect for a family camping rig! I can look back tonight and see if I can find the issue?

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
I'm a big Subaru fan, having owned a 1984 Wagon that I drove into the ground and currently have a 2000 Outback limited sedan....that being said, they're great, but have their limits. Sure, you could lift 'em by reworking the struts or doing a body lift, but dealing with the front CV shafts would be a PITA, although you can get 'em....

Not really what the vehicles were designed for; however....

-H-

OutbacKamper

Supporting Sponsor
elcoyote:
Subarus are extremely popular in Australia. I have a friend who belongs to the Perth Subaru club, they go dune hopping in them (fantastic power to weight ratio) and they have traversed the infamous Canning Stock Route with a convoy of Subi's. I also heard of a group of Subi's going to Cape York (with a Toyota Hilux support vehicle).
I think the company that chet mentioned is:
http://www.users.bigpond.com/subaxtreme/
FYI the Brat is called a "Brumby" in Oz
I saw lots of Subi's in Oz with bullbars, 2" lifts, AT tires and rear bumper spare tire carriers, however I didn't see any with big lifts and monster tires - they really don't need them.
I fully agree with you about fuel prices creating a lot more interest in Subarus and other higher milage alternatives to the traditional 4x4.
Cheers
Mark

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
Not to hijack the thread, but does anyone know what the biggest tire size is that I can put on a 2002 Outback? I'm starting to think that I should consider taking our Outback for trips that won't require a lot of ground clearance.

ducktapeguy

Adventurer
FYI, SubaXtreme is going out of business soon or has already done so. I heard they're getting rid of inventory, but it might already be gone.

And I think the tire size is limited by the spring perch on the struts, so you won't be able to fit anything much larger than stock.

blaze one

Adventurer
I have recently came across the idea of a expedition LATE model subaru . I say late model ~96 and up , because I would like to use it as a reliable , somewhat stylish Daily driver . I can't be pulling up to the business luncheon in a '82 Subaru :D
I wouldn't expect it to take to well to any trails over a 2 rating .
what kind of cargo capacities are we looking at ?
Reliability issues ?
Lifts , and other mods ?

I agree that a toyota xcab with the 4banger and skinny 33's would have much more potential and stock capabilities .
But a late model subaru has more of a "family guy" attitude that some must present . Even if we don't care .

Dietrich

Considering Modifying my 'rig

I currently have a '97 Subaru Legacy Wagon. I am considering mods that would take it in a moderately offroad direction. It has 160,000 on the clock and has served me almost flawlessly for 90,000. I got a great deal on it. I have done street type mods on it so far. Appearance stuff only. It has 17" wheels. I have driven it on sand, mud, and snow. It does great. Sometimes it does so good in snow you become bored and complacent. The full-time, electronic, symetrical set-up in late model subarus can't be beat. Current repairs have only been: an alternator, battery, front axles(both sides), and I replaced the water pump, timing belt, and some oil seals on the front of the motor. I did the last three only because the cam and crank seals started to leak enough to get my attention. I've spent less than five hundred on parts on the thing so far. Oh yeah, I almost forgot, one of the tie rods went bad so I replaced all four and the rack boots. I think they make the best vehicles. The only other types of vehicles I would be interested in are rwd sports cars and a full sized truck for hauling. Other than those two uses Subaru is unbeatable. I want to take mine on mild off road adventures and use it to tow one or two quads.:wings:

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
expeditionswest said:
I think the best solution would be a tacoma xtra-cab 4wd with the 2.7 liter. Run tall/narrow tires (like a 33x9.5) and do the intake and header/exhaust mods.

Make sure to get one with manual hubs too, and then fit a low profile shell to the back.

You would have great mileage (25+ mpg) and still have good trail performance.

Scott

I think this is a great idea. I have been looking into that lately. I need to get a truck right now and I am going back and forth between a Discovery II and a Tacoma.

These guys claim 27+ mpg

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2000...oryZ6439QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/car/421894343.html

anything over 20 would make me happy!

what is the header/exhaust mods? legal in CA?

blaze one said:
But a late model subaru has more of a "family guy" attitude that some must present.
I'm cracking up right now because in Colorado at least (and some other states, I know) a late model Subaru suggests something a bit different, tho if outfitted like the SEMA car it would be pretty cool.

If you're looking to improve offroad capability, I agree you may be on the wrong track...a "2" rating on the 10 scale is doable, but risky (that was last weekend :D), and I'd be extremely leery of doing anything rated "2" on the 5 scale in anything with low ground clearance. Since those are body lifts rather than changes to the ride height, they'll get you ground clearance only in the radius of your new tires compared to the old ones.

Not that I don't know a few cars with belly skids, but maybe something like a Ridgeline, LR3, Commander or one of the late model Land/Range Rover or Land Cruiser offerings would be a better option if you need the clean cut family look for DD duty, but want to take the same vehicle offroad. Since we're talking a bit of image, a lot of people in Denver drive those various vehicles as shiny status symbols (anyone ever seen a dirty G-Wagon?) so they'd definitely suffice if you need the look for work, but we know they're all being put to pasture prematurely by their owners ;).

My uncle recently got an LR3...he's itching to get it in the dirt, and he's from NY! It's pretty nice, and has a great auto tilt feature in the side mirrors for backing up (among the eleventybillion other offroad-related features!). I have to do it manually on the truck :p. Anyway, check out some of the more metropolitan oriented offerings from Jeep, Toyota and Land Rover...very clean lines, and they have the capability where it counts for dirty work. Some have independent suspension like the Roo, but with more ground clearance, low range, and other options for getting up and down steep hills and whatnot. All those little things add up to more control offroad, and AFAIK aren't offered on a Subaru.

Dunno about the mileage, tho.

*BTW I'm not talking down Roos...I grew up driving them, and they are ubiquitous in Alaska! For a four banger they can MOVE, and they're better at high speed in a snowstorm than my truck, by a long shot. I just dunno that it's the best platform to start what you're talking about. It really is gonna depend on the roads you want to travel, that's all. Don't forget there's an Expedition Element here ;).

-Sean

MountainBiker

Experience Seeker
Yeah, Legacy would be lucky to make all of the trails rated 2 on a 10 scale, even with a body lift. My stock Forester was decent on most 3/10 trails, as long as I was willing to hit stuff on the ground! Metal sump guard is mandatory! To get to Forester to be good on all 3/10 trails and all the 4/10 trails, I needed a strut top lift (it does actually increase ground clearance) AND bumper modifications to improve approach/departure angles. Keep in mind that the stock Forester blows away a legacy or outback on approach, breakover and departure angles.

The only strut top lifts around at this point in time are from Hi-Rise Subaru. Don't bother e-mailing them, they don't answer. You gotta get on the phone to Australia. They do have great prices!
http://www.funonwheels.net/hirisesubaru/pages/libertylift.htm

Last edited:

Superu

Explorer
A true 24 mpg at 70 mph loaded with gear!

The advantage to an Outback over many of the trucks/SUVs mentioned is really decent real life mpg in an AWD platform that comes stock with 8.5" of ground clearance and has the potential for more at a reasonable cost.

My Subie has 1" lift springs frm King Springs in AU and I have a 2" lift kit being worked up by AUSubarus. If you do the relatively easy mod to allow you to "lock" the front and rear diffs on the 4EAT you can eliminate some of the pain associated with the average limited slip characteristics when in low traction conditions.

And if you're a total nutjob, you may go down this path.

The Superu

IMG00382.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal