Suburban vs explorer(full size vs mid size)

4x4junkie

Explorer
Now if tight diehard Jeeps are your thing, still, the Explorer may not even be the best choice for that, given the TTB or IFS suspension setups even if you modify it. You'd be surprised where a stock Jeep can get you. If casual dirt road driving every once and awhile is your thing, Explorer might work with a RTT. Driving is 95% skill, 5% vehicle.

A 1st-gen Ford Explorer with the TTB suspension will take you anyplace any Jeep can go if it's built correctly, both stock-to-stock, and modded-to-modded. I know this because I do it all the time with my modded BII. As was said above, it's an exceptionally robust suspension with lots of aftermarket support. The TTB will handily leave any Jeep in the dust if you like to go fast in the desert.
I did not get the impression the OP is looking to go rock crawling however (or speed-running for that matter), so it's extremely unlikely he will ever run up against the limits of the Explorer's TTB suspension (even a later 2nd or 3rd-gen Explorer with A-arm IFS could very possibly meet the OP's needs here, which there is a somewhat decent amount of support available for also).

That said, I do agree with the general consensus here. You really should base your decision on whether things like it's size and interior room are what you want, and what compromises you're willing to take for it, such as regarding MPG (plus consider the fact you already have it). The Suburban no doubt will accommodate a heck of a lot more gear, and will also be more practical should any little ones start coming along. The Explorer however no doubt would fit better on really tight trails (which is only a very small percentage of trails anyway... I don't think there's any trail in Death Valley for example that a Suburban would have an issue on), and should get about 30-50% better MPG (about 18-24 vs. 12-17, depending on drivetrain configurations).
Also think about any future towing needs too (boat and/or a travel trailer)... The Explorer is good to maybe around 5000lbs, where the Sub should have no problem probably up to double that.

Indeed I drive a small BII mostly to get to those few intimate rewarding places a Suburban could never reach (think Ershim or Grouse Lake in the Sierra mtns). However trails of this type comprise probably less than 2% of the total places I go. I guess it really depends on how important to you getting to such places is. Certainly there have been times within that other 98% I could've used a bit more cargo room (at least there is some cargo room... I don't know how anyone manages to camp for more than a couple days out of a 2-door Wrangler lol).

bmartin5

Rock crawling... probably extremely mild if any at all if it arises on a trail.... now speed running. While its not a goal i can say that due to certain "urges" it may become airborne on extremely seldom occasions due to me being me o.o

Please dont say little ones... im having a hard enough time taking care of myself right now! I dont even wanna think about the dreaded "k" word :smilies27 hahah.

Now if i was rich, 4x4 converted school bus towing a dedicated wheeling rig x) or a 4x4 ambulance conversion rig :drool: but back to real life for a little bit. Im glad i ended up asking though. Ive decided to keep the suburban cuz it sounds like there arent too many exclusive spots that require a smaller rig to reach. Guess if i really wanna see something i can fit down? Then itll be hiking time! Guess ill start a build thread once this project gets goin then :wings:

rayra

Expedition Leader
You really need to determine if the Suburban is decent enough to keep. Things like rocker and frame rot are signs that you may want to pass and find something else. Is the suspension lift setup properly? If not, is it a driving hazard? Are you going to blow tie rod ends a lot? How about tire wear?

But an older Suburban that is mechanically sound may be a better route than the Explorer, especially when you can just sleep in the Suburban, haha. Simplicity comes from the simple drivetrain and suspension setup of that generation of Suburban. But they are prone to rust issues. Every vehicle has it's pros and cons. The Explorer is indeed smaller and can fit down Jeep trails and such better than the Suburban. But you'll find that most overlanding people do can accomadate fullsize vehicles. Look at the people with giant Unimogs, Earthroamers, or Man rigs. It all depends on what you want to do and where you want to go. Everyone has individual needs and their vehicles reflect that.

Now if tight diehard Jeeps are your thing, still, the Explorer may not even be the best choice for that, given the TTB or IFS suspension setups even if you modify it. You'd be surprised where a stock Jeep can get you. If casual dirt road driving every once and awhile is your thing, Explorer might work with a RTT. Driving is 95% skill, 5% vehicle.

These are all valid points, but I have to point out they don't apply much in the southwest. Very few trails are as tight as those in the northeast or appalachia, excepting the more technical crawling in spots like Moab and some of our tighter canyon switchbacks. But that's about <1% of our offroad terrain. Most all of it is wide open terrain and forest roads. And the Forest Service long used K5 blazers and Suburbans. You really have to be pushing into the backside of beyond to find somewhere such wont fit.

Same to the rust / rot issues, just really not present out here, unless you live right on the beach or a pocket town in the mountains. 29yrs / 360k on my C-10, lots of ski trips, snowy mountain passes, beach and lake trips and good old muddin'. I've got no panel rust or frame rot at all. zip. But that's just my personal anecdote. And I did strive to keep things hosed off after my fun.

Last edited:

justcuz

Explorer
Now that you have decided to keep the Suburban, you could easily swap the 6 inch springs for 4 inch springs. Lots of folks decide to go up, not down. Probably could find someone to trade with that wants to go with 37" tires.
Tools are usually pretty cheap at yard sales and depending where you are in Southern California you may get someone to help you do the swap. Check to make sure the frame is not cracked at the steering box mounting holes. It happens to vehicles that have been used hard. Any looseness in the steering needs to be addressed, many times the rag joint just above the steering box is deteriorated and causes excess play in the steering.

Last edited:

Bojak

Adventurer
Craigslist is your friend as far as finding suspension trades. It blows my mind the deals people put together using craigslist. Just a thought if you want to downsize your lift or get a jack or trade a ten speed for some water skis for a snowblower for a jack.

Bojak

Adventurer
Also my vote was suburban, lots of threads on here with suburban as the base vehicle of the build. Not many explorer build threads. Not stating an opinion about which is better per say, but the numbers got to tell us something.

Erik N

Adventurer
I had a '91 Xploder that I used for a beach truck. The most unsafe handling POS I have ever owned. And I have had a lot of cars and trucks.

Stick w/ the Burb. Trails are usually made by full size vehicles anyway, and for a reason. They work.

Attachments

• DSCN0018.jpg
    DSCN0018.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 10
  • DSCN0270.JPG
    DSCN0270.JPG
    246.4 KB · Views: 10
  • DSCN0882.jpg
    DSCN0882.jpg
    542.2 KB · Views: 11

4x4junkie

Explorer
Also my vote was suburban, lots of threads on here with suburban as the base vehicle of the build. Not many explorer build threads. Not stating an opinion about which is better per say, but the numbers got to tell us something.

I suspect many just don't realize what the Explorer is (a sturdy body-on-frame SUV with a durable drivetrain, good parts interchangeability, and a very surprising level of aftermarket support considering). People often tie the image of a "soccer mom mobile" to Explorers (probably due to their past ubiquity), which IMO, only the present-generation (car-based) Explorer is really fitting of that image.

I had a '91 Xploder that I used for a beach truck. The most unsafe handling POS I have ever owned. And I have had a lot of cars and trucks.
Unsafe handling is definitely not normal.
Assuming yours was not lifted, you probably had something like a worn or out-of-adjustment steering gear (not entirely unheard of on all Ford trucks of this era, and is not exactly difficult or costly to fix).

RoyJ

Adventurer
A lot of folks under-estimate how sturdy and well built the late model body on frame Explorers are; they're truly tanks. I have an 06, aka 4th gen, and has a payload of 1400 lbs! Find a Jeep that comes close (save for the J8). In fact, it's within 200 lbs of a 1500 'Burb.

It's not a rock crawler and was never meant to be. But you can pack it like a mule, and explorer many remote areas while carrying all your toys, and still be under GVW.

I pack heavy; with 2 on board, I've got: 120lbs tent, 130 lbs Trojan batteries, 70 lbs loaded fridge, 160 lbs water, 40 lbs gas, 40 lbs food, 50 lbs general supplies, plus 380 lbs people = ~1000 lbs. This would be approaching or even overloading most mid size SUVs (4runner/Xterra/JK), whereas I still have 400 lbs left.

A 3/4 ton 'Burb would be way better, but in a completely different class, and double the cost...

E.Roy

Aspiring Explorer
It does depend much on your needs, but I really like full size rigs, they have so much capacity for everything you'll be doing after college. I really really enjoy my W250 Cummins. However, I owned a 1996 Explorer sport 2-door and it was one of my favorite vehicles, and changed my opinion on Ford, hands down one of the best vehicles I have owned. One thing I can recommend though is being content with what you have especially if its a good vehicle and fits your needs well enough, and isn't hurting your financial situation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven