Sudden Temptation (Volvo...)

hrjaw

Explorer
Allen,
this sounds promising to me. I actually prefer this body style to the newer ones, and the fuel consumption figures sound better than what I expected them to be.

Saline

Adventurer
My .02 worth. We have an 05' Volvo s40 T5 all wheel drive. It has been very reliable,hauls ***, and is like an absolute goat in the snow. We get about 23mpg city and 30mpg hwy.

hrjaw

Explorer
found this vehicle this weekend. my only concern is the mileage.

Volvo V70 2.5T Wagon 2004

Special Graphite Metallic with Graphite Leather
5 Cylinder 2.5 Liter Turbo
Automatic Transmission with Tiptronic
Premium Sound System with CD Player
Premium Package
Dual Front and Side Air Bags
Power Glass Moonroof
Stability Control

EXECUTIVE PACKAGE

EPA Fuel Economy Rating 21/28 mpg
Kelley Blue Book Suggested Retail Value $18,800

Our Price $11, 000

the car is immaculate but has 95,000 miles.

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
I grew up with a 245, 240 and 940 all in the stable at the same time. Drove the 245 to high school. Parents still have the 940 and two weeks ago it 298,XXX miles on it. I'll always have an unexplainable fondness for Volvos regardless of their perceived reputation.

hrjaw

Explorer
ChuckB said:
I grew up with a 245, 240 and 940 all in the stable at the same time. Drove the 245 to high school. Parents still have the 940 and two weeks ago it 298,XXX miles on it. I'll always have an unexplainable fondness for Volvos regardless of their perceived reputation.

i agree. my brothers and i drove a 260 300,000 miles before it rotted away and we are in the process of restoring a 1969 P1800 as we speak. when it comes to the newer v70's, i really have no experience though.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
traveltoad said:
lol

My first post may have been a bit harsh, but we both really wanted to like the Volvo XC (having owned a Subaru and being under the illusion that the Volvo would be a slightly nicer version) and it has been nothing but a turd.

On a positive note... the lease is up this fall!

And thanks!

Ditto. I leased a 2004 XC70 for 48-months. I really wanted to like it. I really thought, from a paper spec perspective, it might have been one to buy-out. NOPE!

Our (then) Audi A4 ran circles around the XC70 in the snow. I got the damn thing stuck twice...and the A4 cruised right around it despite limited clearance compared to the XC70.

Highway speed handling was terrible (3-different brands of tires yielded the same results). These Belgium made Volvo's are notorious for tranny issues. Our neighbor's 2002 XC70 tranny went completely out at 52K and mine made strange noises and slipped now and then: The dealer could never get it fixed.

Then there was the strange electrical gremlins...

'It ain't your father's volvo...' :mad:

I am in the market for a wagon once again for a DD. The euro's have the concept figured out but the lack of reliability and expensive maintenance sink that idea for me.

It's a shame Toyota doesn't offer the new Camry in a wagon...or same for Honda with the Accord. It'd be an easy decision for me.

greenmeanie

Adventurer
Well since the arrival of my wee man two of my trucks became redundant as family vehicles due to lack of seating. Since then we've deen using my wife's allroad as th efamily camping vehicle. With it's fancy air suspensoin it can get over 8" of clearance but can then squat to 5" odd for when I drive it like a nut to get to the dirt.

It's limit is forest and dirt roads which is fine for the moment.
attachment.php

Of course, as it AWD instead of true 4wd and it is on road tyres a wee bit of mud brings her to a bogged down halt.
attachment.php

Then again you can fit a good amount of gear in it for a car so it does well for three and a doggie.
attachment.php

For off road rugged capability it can't compete but for AZ it's a good vehicle to covre those long distances and get a decent distance off the beaten track. This year it's been to the Mogollan Rim, North Rim of the Grand Canyon, Flagstaff, Lake Tahoe, Payson and out the back of Tucson.

Oh, and compared to a Series Land Rover it is a computer controlled nightmare to maintain but then it is a modern vehicle.

Man, I wish I could figure out the picture posting on this!

Cheers
Gregor

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3