Summer Mexico Tour

tglaser

Observer
First post. And it's to announce I'm heading to Mexico in a few weeks - driving my FJ40, taking my dog and going to try to do as much surfing, fishing and climbing as possible - 4-6 weeks worth of beer and tacos and hopefully staying out of trouble.

I'm sure you can imagine the route, but here's a quick sketch -
<http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=115419352519909847911.000488feda91e6b96343d&t=h&z=5>

Now I've traveled a fair amount before - Western Africa, Central America, etc - but if anyone has some specific advise I'm all ears. My paperwork is in order (almost) and my cruiser is in the final stretches of PM as well. My two weeks notice is drafted and I'm set to do what lots of folks wish they could. I'll try to keep this updated when I'm around a computer to let others know what's going on. Wish me luck. :sombrero:

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
You sound like a seasoned traveler and Im sure you will do just fine in Baja. Enjoy and I for one look forward to your trip report. :sombrero:

mkitchen

Explorer
How are the waves?

When does a fellow have a better chance of finding good surf? I had heard that winter was a better time, so I am interested to hear what you find.

Yes I know that I am in Kingman AZ with what might be called a poor selection of surfing but I did grow up on a board in Santa Cruz and know the love well.
Mikey

tglaser

Observer
That's a fine question, Mikey. I'm no pro, just looking to learn a little more. The only real surfing I've done was in Puerto Viejo, CR and I had a hell of a time down there. BUT - I'll let you know on that front.

The mountains are actually more my forte. I'll try to climb just about anything I see over 2000m. Hope to cut away from the coast once I catch the "mainland" and spend most of my time at elevation. Anyone in the area at the time should twist my arm for a cold one - outta be a pretty easy sell. :roost:

When does a fellow have a better chance of finding good surf? I had heard that winter was a better time, so I am interested to hear what you find.

Yes I know that I am in Kingman AZ with what might be called a poor selection of surfing but I did grow up on a board in Santa Cruz and know the love well.
Mikey

summer through fall swells from the south- ususally you get big, clean, long interval surf when a swell hits.

randito

Yeah, as far as surf goes. May through early October gets swell out of the southern hemisphere and hurricane swells. November through March gets northwest swell. As far a what's best, it really depends on where you are. Some spots only pick up one direction or the other. South of Viscaino? Penninsula is known for really good right hand points that pick up south swell. North of there is known as great winter, north swell spots.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Consider www.discoverbaja.com for your insurance needs. They offer great coverage that actually pays in the unlikely event of an accident or theft. Repair reimbursements are to US standards. Towing and emergency Medivac are options also. Great folks. The border kiosks are the worst.

tglaser

Observer
Checking In

Made it to Van Horn, Texas this evening - about 120 miles east of El Paso. The plan is to get close to California tomorrow, spend a couple days gearing up and catching up with friends and then turning south in to Baja pretty quick after. I'll try to update this as I have time/find an internet connection.......

Take care now.

tglaser

Observer
Well hello beautiful people. Here's a quick update.

Yesterday I swung by Mark's Off Road in Burbank for a final run-through/ repair mission. If you've never had the pleasure of working with Mark before, he's the most knowledgeable cruiser guy I've met and is a no-BS, down-to-earth person to boot. Go see him if you're in the area.

In San Diego now - getting Chico's (my pup) papers in order and then resting my mind and slipping out of here in the morning. :smiley_drive:

G100

Adventurer
Just got back two days ago from a 16 day trip down to San Jose del Cabo and back, no problems at all. Lots of road work going on all throughout the peninsula especially on the 19 from La Paz to Cabo. If you like the mountians check out San Pedro de Martir, the turn off is around an hour and half to two hours south of Ensenada near the town camalu. The east side around mulege is freakin hot, I don't mind it during the day but 90 at night is hard. If you haven't left yet and you still have time go to Wal-mart and buy one of their $9 dollar fans by O2 Cool, best nine dollars I ever spent. They also have a thermometer with an outside temp sensor for 9 dollars also, pretty cool I was stoked on it.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll have no problems.

G100

Adventurer
Heres a shot of the fan in the back of my truck, it comes with a little plastic plate for using it in a tent, there is a piece of metal in it used for the magnet on the fan, just break the plastic plate apart and take the piece of metal and screw it in somewhere. The magnets are strong, I just screwed it to some of the tubing in my shell. Really consider this if you don't have a fan, otherwise you won't be sleeping much.

Attachments

• Cabo2010~Day_2~013.jpg
    Cabo2010~Day_2~013.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 86

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater