Supercharger on a 2010

dmandley

For those that have supercharged their trucks or looking to do so or know enough about the subject, could you lend your experience? I have a 2010 suburban 5.3L engine. I want to get more torq and some power. Did you have to upgrade your Transmission parts because of the age of the truck? Or did you do anything to your engine prior to adding a supercharger? The truck has been super reliable and consistent (knock on wood) and not sure I want to rock the boat. But I need more power for the weight of the truck and what I tow. Thx!!

D

Deleted member 9101

Really it all depends on how much power you add and how hard you abuse it. Tuning plays a big factor too. If it's set up by a competent shop, it should be trouble free.

As for the tranny, usually you ad a larger tranny cooler and call it good.

dmandley

Gear ratio is stock… but I don’t have that figure in front of me. As for towing, about 2000lbs with loaded gear inside and on roof as well.

twodollars

More aggressive gearing will multiply your current torque at the wheels with zero effect on engine reliability. Find a online calculator to see increase in revs at speed. Huge seat of pants change moving from 3.23 to 4.1. I wouldnt bother though unless you move at least .75. More gear will make up for more tire too.

Gears and a camshaft with a good tune. Buy from a highly reputable company like texas speed or comp cams. The 2008-2012 5.3s had a lot of variables, things like variable valve timing, and displacement on demand, these can be tricky to navigate when it comes to power adders. But the big companies have already worked out all the bugs and can be as reliable as stock, assuming you don't abuse it too much. The 5.3 you have can easily be taken up to 400hp using a cam and appropriate tune. In fact, it can be done with factory gm parts if you do a little research. But again, depending on the specific options you have, sometimes its just easier to go aftermarket. Texas speed has a couple really good cams/tune kits. You mail them your ecm while you do the cam swap, a couple days later it comes back in the mail, you plug it in and go try to enjoy the power without breaking anything, good luck whipping the smile off your face!
As for the tranny, add a big cooler. The gears will help a bit. But eventually, trannys die. Heat is always enemy #1. But new ones can be had that can handle 5-600hp all day.
as for what gears, i agree with 2 buck. Get some 4.10s.
all of this will be cheaper, and more reliable than a blower. Dont get me wrong, blowers of any kind are awesome fun. But pricey and risky. Just depends on your goals.

dmandley

I really appreciate the time everyone has taken in answering my question. super helpful. I will look into camshaft and gears too!! great idea. this will probably be a couple more months are there are delays in equipment etc but I'll keep you posted in the direction i end up going. But it sounds like my transmission can handle it and I will just go with a bigger cooler and a Magnuson 1900 Supercharger (or look at camshaft and tune option).

D

Deleted member 9101

I really appreciate the time everyone has taken in answering my question. super helpful. I will look into camshaft and gears too!! great idea. this will probably be a couple more months are there are delays in equipment etc but I'll keep you posted in the direction i end up going. But it sounds like my transmission can handle it and I will just go with a bigger cooler and a Magnuson 1900 Supercharger (or look at camshaft and tune option).

You'll need a tune regardless
The "canned tuned" that come with superchargers are crap.

Also..they make cams they are specifically ground for forced induction....just in case you want to make more power ;-)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77