Surco roofrack fix

fbksurferjoe

Adventurer
So I ran into my first problem with the surco safari rack. Well first of all i didnt use all of the supplies they gave me (The Thick crossmembers) so that may have led to the failure. Anyway i had installed the roofrack with the intent to place my spare tire in it, and even though the surco rack seemed a little flimsy after installation, it seemed like it would do the job.
I was wrong, the crossmembers that run length wise completely bent under the weight of tire after one offroad trip :(. I figured out a solution to the problem though. I went to the hardware store and bought 2x8' 3/4" aluminum square tubing. I cut them to length to run across the bent crossmembers and placed 5 bolts in each one running through the bent crossmembers and side rails. After installing all of them i noticed a significant strength increase in the entire rack and it will carry the spare tire and other equipment no problem now.
Seems lke a lot of work for a roof rack but i saved about $200 by purchasing the surco over the garmin rack.
Click on the attachments for pictures of the fix.

SierraExplorer

Wow very helpful information. I recently purchased a Surco rack as well. I'll be sure to re-enforce it before my trips this summer. Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3

Members online