Suspension seats?

cr500taco

Adventurer
I need to replace my seats in my 1st gen Tacoma. I am looking into the Corbeau reclining seats and I am wondering if suspension sests are worth getting?

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

tenoverthenose

I put a set of Corbeau Baja RS seats in my old CJ7 and wish I had done it sooner. They really do help "smooth" out the ride of a stiff suspension and are super comfy for me.

That having been said, I went for the cloth/vinyl version and the cloth has faded pretty quickly when the top has been off. The seats are also a bit wider than stock at the side bolsters; check your clearance at doors and center console, mine is tight. Also the reclining mechanism doesn't have a solid "feel" to it, but seems to work fine.

cr500taco

Adventurer
I put a set of Corbeau Baja RS seats in my old CJ7 and wish I had done it sooner. They really do help "smooth" out the ride of a stiff suspension and are super comfy for me.

That having been said, I went for the cloth/vinyl version and the cloth has faded pretty quickly when the top has been off. The seats are also a bit wider than stock at the side bolsters; check your clearance at doors and center console, mine is tight. Also the reclining mechanism doesn't have a solid "feel" to it, but seems to work fine.

Thanks. This morning while doing errands in my truck, i was wondering if it will even help with daily driving. I was noticing how stiff the ride is going down the street.

lugueto

Adventurer
The only experience I've had with suspension seats is not very good.

Although I haven't had experience with Corbeau, the stock Pajero seats we had down here had lockable suspension seats, and most people lock them for a reason. I feel like those things make the ride feel even bumpier, as they sort of amplify the bumpy ride. Sure, they will soak up the bumps, but they launch you back up. Also, when wearing the seatbelt, when the seat moves up and down, the seatbelt tightens on your waist and makes itself noticed more than it should.

Maybe the Courbeaus are stiffer? have less rebound? IDK. Just my 2 cents..

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Although I haven't had experience with Corbeau, the stock Pajero seats we had down here had lockable suspension seats, and most people lock them for a reason. I feel like those things make the ride feel even bumpier, as they sort of amplify the bumpy ride. Sure, they will soak up the bumps, but they launch you back up. Also, when wearing the seatbelt, when the seat moves up and down, the seatbelt tightens on your waist and makes itself noticed more than it should.
I had a 1990 Montero with the suspension seat and my experience was pretty much this. Mine was locked most of the time.

tenoverthenose

Maybe the Courbeaus are stiffer? have less rebound? IDK. Just my 2 cents..

Are you talking about the "bouncy seats" that were used where the seat mount has suspension built in to travel in a vertical path? If so, that's not what the suspension seat from Corbeau that I have does.

The Corbeau seat I have is mounted to a fixed seat mount - it does not move in a vertical direction at all (of course there is a seat slider to move it back and forth if desired). The so called suspension for this seat is built into the upholstery of the seat and moves very little. Instead the seat design helps absorb sharp sharp bumps while maintaining a firm feel, which is why I think it's perfect for my old CJ7.

Stroverlander

Adventurer
The Corbeau Baja XRS seats I installed in my van have been great. You don't really notice they are a suspension seat unless you hit something big and they do absorb some impact. I had a set of Corbeau GTS II seats in a previous van and I wanted something with less lower seat side bolster in order to ease entry/exit and the Baja XRS fit that. Also, the black cloth GTS II faded badly over time and the cloth wore through on the lower bolsters eventually so I went with full black vinyl on the Baja XRS and they have held up great, very durable, easy to clean and maintain.

Stroverlander_Astro_AWD_Corbeau_Baja_XRS_2.jpg

I was able to avoid having to use Corbeau mounting adapters which raise the seats too high on my application and mate the seats to the stock bases on my Astro (one power, on manual) by drilling new holes in the power base to match the mounting pattern on the Corbeau seat. For the manual base, I was able to match two of the Corbeau mounts and drill two more in the Corbeau base to match stock base.

Here's what the underside and mounting of the seat looks like:

Stroverlander_Astro_AWD_Corbeau_Baja_XRS_Power_Seat_Bracket_1.jpg

Stroverlander_Astro_AWD_Corbeau_Baja_XRS_Manual_Seat_Bracket_2.jpg

I purchased mine from apexperformance.net as they've always been very helpful. Try contacting Linda there for a price as they are not listed on their site if interested.

Link to the page in my van thread with more info on seas and install: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/72414-Astro-AWD-quot-Stroverlander-quot?p=1262132#post1262132

lugueto

Adventurer
Are you talking about the "bouncy seats" that were used where the seat mount has suspension built in to travel in a vertical path? If so, that's not what the suspension seat from Corbeau that I have does.

The Corbeau seat I have is mounted to a fixed seat mount - it does not move in a vertical direction at all (of course there is a seat slider to move it back and forth if desired). The so called suspension for this seat is built into the upholstery of the seat and moves very little. Instead the seat design helps absorb sharp sharp bumps while maintaining a firm feel, which is why I think it's perfect for my old CJ7

These were my thoughts, yes I was talking about the "bouncy" vertical suspension seats. Never mind then, carry on!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilgirl