Suspension system for coolers in truck bed.

Frankie'sDad

I have been thinking about a suspension setup for the back of my Taco. The idea is to suspend my cooler off the bed to prevent the shaking of overland travel that has popped my beers, sorry "beverages", (newer cans are getting thinner) and I pack my electric cooler in the cab so Iit doesn't destroy my electronics and refrigeration pump. I'm in the "idea" stage for this set up. Have an over bed rack for my bed. I have many of ideas floating around in my sub geriatric mind. Any thoughts?

fourfa

Observer
My favorite solution for problems like this is taller tires, with less pressure in them

(and this is probably out of bounds for the discussion, but all the problems I had like this over 200k miles in a Taco with heavy rear leafs - went away entirely when I switched to a vehicle with coil spring rear suspension...)

DirtWhiskey

Western Dirt Rat
Interesting idea. I do think softer suspension is the best move for the sake of all your gear as mentioned above. But thinking out loud, is look for some hifi sub speaker isolation feet to glue to your cooler and fridge. They make them out of silicone blobs. They work well.

TwinStick

Explorer
Great idea, I just don't know if a cooler suspension system would actually keep your beverages from self destructing ? I strap my fridge/freezer/s very tightly, so they don't move. I am sure you do too.

I have had things move around inside fridge but never a failure of a container. Maybe if you pack and cushion the cans it would help.

Or, start your own "Overland Beer Can" Company that uses thicker aluminum ? Or a padded "Overland beer can 6 pack cushion" & use thin neoprene ? Or go online and get a couple dozen cheap can coozies and use 1 on each can ?

Easiest way would be a scrap piece of 3/4" plywood with a forestner bit hole halfway through, to match outside diameter & a spring in each corner and if that is not enough, add additional springs ?

Good luck with your solution ! Keep us posted please.

Last edited:

Frankie'sDad

Thanks for your replies. Have upgraded suspension, run my BFG's 18 to 22. I have actually used the foil laminated bubble wrap insulation. (Wonderful stuff, by the way) Maybe it's my driving??.. Nah. Couldn't be. Just because my friends are hesitant to drive with me.
I do like the spring suspension idea. Simple. Cheap. Except that I would probably need to add another cross bar to prevent a spider web of straps. (Have a Yakkitiyackima Overhaul HD. So not cheap to add a crossbar) So will carry on and give a sitrep on my travels and travails.

Kors Camps

Innate Outdoor Co
Shaken up beer is inevitable. You can spend a grand on a custom fridge gimbal setup & your IPA will still erupt & overflow when you get to camp. Perhaps a layer of memory foam used as a bushing beneath your fridge would dampen some of the vibration? Why over complicate it? Its just beer at a campsite.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shazpete