Suspension upgrades for the Range Rover Classic

AKRover

Adventurer
Since winter has fully set in my expedition season has ended and it's time to do some work on the rover. I am currently running the OME HD springs in the front and rear with 255/85 Truxus MTs. The HD springs in the rear tend to sag quite a bit when the rover is fully loaded so I want to upgrade the springs to carry more weight and maybe add a little more lift for more tire clearance. Here are the options I came up with so far and would appreciate some feed back.

Option 1: OME very HD springs for the rear. This would level the vehicle out but not provide any extra lift. Cost of OME springs is about $175 - $200 a pair plus shipping.

Option 2: RoverTym 3" springs. I don't know very much about these springs but with these I wouldn't need any spacers I don't think. Will these springs be able to carry the weight of the fully loaded rover? Also will I need to get anything else such as brake lines and shock mounts? Cost $325 plus shipping.

Option 3: Any other suggestions?

Last edited:

AKRover

Adventurer
Yeah, internal air-springs that go inside your coils. Adjustable. Cheap. Relatively fool-proof. On when you need them, off when you don't.
That would be nice. Then I wouldn't have to have a super stiff riding spring when the rig is unloaded. Got any links or anything that would point me in the direction of somewhere to get a pair?

RonL

Adventurer
I had OME before my Rovertym 3" springs, I like the ride of both, but the OME loss height over time, all most any 1" after 1.5 yrs.

I don't know what kind of height loss OME others have had, but I like my Rtym springs.

I am also traveling with a full load, wife, three kids and gear when I am offroading. over 6250 lbs......

TeriAnn

Explorer
If you are going to modify your suspension you might also think about articulation, lift caster correction and longer or twin shocks as well. You might find something of interest with Terrafirma suspension products

They have things such as spring relocation cones, stronger tower securing rings, stronger coil spring retaining plates, bump stop spacer kits, front & rear shock towers, twin shock mount kits, spring spacers, & caster corrected radius arms for coil lifts.

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
Having had OME and now RTE, I am going to give the new Safari Gard a shot. But like TeriAnn says, be sure to do the other mods/upgrades you need or you will encounter issues.

Side notes:
OME: loss of height rather quickly (after about a year)
RTE: loss of ride height after 3 years, ride seems to get stiffer as they get older (kind of weird), ride is good when fully loaded though
SG: going to try out their 4" springs... if they ever check their emails and LRR PM's

seashore

Observer
What are your goals for the truck?

with the 3" RTE you'll need to address caster and steering angles as well as brake lines. radius arms, trailing arms, etc. they prefer a loaded truck in my experience with those springs.

I'd say if you like your tire size and do not have rubbing, then stick with 2" lift and avoid the driveline issues...

nickyill

Observer
Im running RTE +3" springs, did not have to replace radius arms or rear trailing arms (although I do have Equipe rears ready to install). I also have a 2" body lift. You will need to extend your rear brake lines - I have removed both sway bars and could really do with extending my front brake lines as well - they are maxed out at full droop. They are stiff, on-road is firm but not uncomfortable, off-road, flex is fine but you don't want to go racing down the trail! Steering geometry has been fine, I know it varies truck to truck with lift. I have loaded the crap out of it, you won't see a sag...

You can see some of the drop here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/btp98w#p/a/u/0/tu2XUNyv7sg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater