Sebas

Adventurer
a couple more

10641178_10204600984202551_786216643388824947_n.jpg

10694372_10204601014283303_8786384217168314891_o.jpg

compactcamping

Explorer
My new 2000 Tracker

My trusty 4dr Sidekick went to a new home, now my exploring rig is a 2000 Tracker. It has a 2" lift and 235/15" Duratracs. It also has third members out of a 97/98 Sport for the 5.12 gears and to get rid of the vacuum engaged front diff. Naturally it is setup for towing.

Shapeshifter

Restless Adventurer
My trusty 4dr Sidekick went to a new home, now my exploring rig is a 2000 Tracker. It has a 2" lift and 235/15" Duratracs. It also has third members out of a 97/98 Sport for the 5.12 gears and to get rid of the vacuum engaged front diff. Naturally it is setup for towing.

Cool. Very similar setup to mine. Where can I find more info about your trailer?

Glenn C

Observer
My 04 Grand Vitara

Heres my Grand Vitara , 2.0 Hdi diesel, main uses are trips away and Mountain Bike transport , future mods include, Snorkel and all terrains :ylsmoke:

Dake21

Adventurer
Hi,

I have a 2013 grand vitara and used it quite often in trails and long highway trip as well. The suspension handles dirt roads like a charm.
I bought cooper AT3 tires, and my next purchase would be a roof rack. Then a lift kit :)

zukimoo

This is my expedition rig, a few years back I did a couple of overnight runs. It's small and I used to pack it all in the back. This spring the project if to build a trailer and tow it all behind me.

Rig is a 1981 LJ80

Now running stock 800cc motor, 456 gears (welded rear), 30" BFG muds

Mods to come: 1000cc motor, 512 gears (tracker rear/samurai front), double LJ t-case back to back, locker in front/rear, roof rack, bigger winch in front.

This summer I'll be taking a 3-4 day run with my daughter, we are going to try to be totally independent and other than fuel we load up and head out. If I can make it then it opens up for more longer trips.

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
Hi, I have a 2013 grand vitara and used it quite often in trails and long highway trip as well. The suspension handles dirt roads like a charm.
I bought cooper AT3 tires, and my next purchase would be a roof rack. Then a lift kit :)
I've been super impressed with my parents' '12 GV. That 4cyl is set up to be a little torque monster. My girlfriend loves it, she wants one as her next vehicle. The ONLY thing that holds it back that sometimes gets annoying is the ancient 4 speed auto.

I've been tempted many times to trade in my SX4 for a GV for the obvious off road benefits, but I just can't let go of the SX4.

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
The revs are definitely up there on the highway.
That I actually don't mind one bit. I'd rather have a shorter top gear to keep in the powerband rather than having a super tall 4th gear and the tranny always having to unlock the converter at the slightest hint of an inline, or even constantly having to shift down to 3rd (which in a 4 speed is not exactly a quiet or smooth affair since the gears are so far apart). The amount of overdrives vehicles are having is starting to get ridiculous. All to save 0.001mpg in the long run.

For instance, my SX4 with the 6 speed manual runs just over 2000rpm at 100km/h. The thing has the aerodynamics of a brick, it can barely hold that speed at those revs, let alone going up any sort of incline. I'm constantly having to downshift to 5th or 4th. If it's a windy day and I'm going into a head wind, I just keep it in 5th. I actually see no fuel mileage difference between running in 5th gear or 6th gear (I'm sure there is a difference, but it's not significant enough for me to notice even after driving a couple hours). And engines are so smooth and quiet these days that there is no audible difference between 2,000rpm and 2,800rpm.

That's the nice thing about the GV running just under 3,000rpm at 100km/h is that even when going through the mountains with a fully loaded vehicle it barely ever even has to unlock the converter, let alone downshift. It still gets excellent mileage for a vehicle in it's class that's running a REAL 4WD system.

digitaldelay

Explorer
That I actually don't mind one bit. I'd rather have a shorter top gear to keep in the powerband rather than having a super tall 4th gear and the tranny always having to unlock the converter at the slightest hint of an inline, or even constantly having to shift down to 3rd. That's the nice thing about the GV running just under 3,000rpm at 100km/h is that even when going through the mountains with a fully loaded vehicle it barely ever even has to unlock the converter, let alone downshift. It still gets excellent mileage for a vehicle in it's class that's running a REAL 4WD system.

Agreed. A GV with a 5AT would constantly be downshifting.

I just finished a 6000km trip, much of it running 130 km/h. Averaged 11.3 L/100km (20.8 mpg). As you say, not bad for real 4WD. :safari-rig:

Jason

Last edited:

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
Agreed. A GV with a 5AT would constantly be downshifting.

I just finished a 6000km trip, much of it running 130 km/h. Averaged 11.3 L/100km. As you say, not bad for real 4WD. :safari-rig:

Jason
that's not too bad for those speeds. We drive down south to golf every winter and we usually average JUST under 10L/100km with 4 people in the car and the trunk packed to the roof. That includes going through the mountains. That's keeping to the speed limits though. Even when towing my dad's 21ft boat we still average about 16L/100km. We drove to a cottage last year with our friend who has a Dodge Ram 1500 with the hemi and he got mad at us for having a bigger and heavier boat and still averaging better mileage than he did :smiley_drive:

Great trucks. Too bad Suzuki is killing it off along with the concepts of the new Jimny being unibody and losing solid axles. You can the tell the brand is focusing on cars for market places like India and China. Ever since the son took over management of Suzuki it's just dying. Talk about a slowly sinking ship...

digitaldelay

Explorer
that's not too bad for those speeds. We drive down south to golf every winter and we usually average JUST under 10L/100km with 4 people in the car and the trunk packed to the roof. That includes going through the mountains. That's keeping to the speed limits though.

130 was the posted limit. Gotta love Idaho and Utah! :smiley_drive:

Jason

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater

Members online