Suzuki Vitara growing up ...

jeffryscott

2006 Rally Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
Have added a few additional mods to my Suzuki since the Expedition Portal rally last year. Have a few more to do, but was out today working and found myself in some pretty country, so took a few pictures.

The snorkel is new, as are the 245/75/16 Goodyear MTR tires ($49 on ebay, half worn, but no shipping as they were local) Other mods, which existed at the time of the rally, or shortly thereafter, are: lockrite locker in rear, 2-inch body lift, Old Man Emu springs and struts, Doetsch Tech rear shocks and spring spacers for about 2-inches. Also, Rocky-Road rock rails for sill protection.

Between tires, suspension and body lifts the little guy is close to 6-inches higher, making it extremely off-road-worthy.

Attachments

• zukitwo.jpg
    zukitwo.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 459
  • zukithree.jpg
    zukithree.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 371
  • zukione.jpg
    zukione.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 4,518

erin

Explorer
:coffee:
That is definitely one cool little beast. Hopefully I will get to check it out closer at this years rally if you will be attending.

What mods do you have planned for the future?

Scott Brady

Founder
Jeff,

I just really dig your truck. Great mods and a solid approach. The snorkel totally transforms it too.

What kind of fuel mileage are you getting now?

What are the next steps?

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Jeff, with the bigger tires, snorkel, and black painted wheels your Zuk F*@#ING ROCKS!!!!! That looks awesome! I can't wait to see it in person this year at the rally, get first hand comparisons over last year. I think I might have to show Colette a few pics of your truck, and tell her that that is what hers is going to look like one of these days soon. What are your plans for bumpers, I know you had something in the works for the front, what about the back? Keep us posted.

jeffryscott

Thanks guys. I still miss my Rover, but I'm still getting over 20 mpg and with gas prices these days, I'll take that over the 12 to 15 I got in the Rover (plus no need for premium). So far, I've taken this everyplace I could take the Rover, which was my goal when I got it - to make it as capable as I could without breaking the bank.

I have a set of IPF driving lights to put up front, then I'd like to do something about the bumpers. I might take the John Shotts approach to the front bumper, but I'm also hoping for an aftermarket winch bumper (but so far, none are available). I need to work Scott's magic and get somebody to make me one as a test bed ...

I'm also hoping for some sort of roof-rack/sleeping options, like modifying a tent cot to sit atop the roof. I'd like to replace the factory rails with something a little more beefy as well - shouldn't be too tough with the factory mounting options.

Other things I want to do: sliding drawer system for storage in the back ala desertdude's system in his truck (although much smaller, for obvious reasons)

However, things come slowly as between two little girls and full-time work, time to work on the truck is rare.

Thanks again,

Jeff

kcowyo

ExPo Original
WOW! The snorkel for the Vitara is sweet!! :jumping:

I will echo the unique sentiment. Mega unique points!

Looking really good, nice work Jeff - :beer: :beer:

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
Jeff-

Huge improvement since the last time I saw your rig! Looking good... the snorkel looks slick!:victory:

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
Jeff, I have to say that I think your Suzuki is one of my favorite vehicles on this forum. I REALLY like what you have done with it. It's so cool! :cool:

jeffryscott

articulate said:
http://expeditionportal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2078&d=1148538975

So where did this crazy snorkel come from anyway? It doesn't have that ARB safari snout, or a cyndrical canister - the two versions I'm used to seeing. But it doesn't look homebrew, either. What's the scoop (so to speak)?

Mark

It's from Taiwan, made by a company called FTS and bought it from a place called VTTR. Some folks in Australia had found some Safari and TJM snorkels that worked, but there is nothing made by either specifically for the Vitara/Grand Vitara. I found one place in Australia that sorta made one for the GV and was working on a group buy with them when a fellow on another board found these folks in Taiwan. He got one, liked it, so I bought probably the second one in the US. Easy install, looks good and as long as it keeps my engine happy, I'm happy.

What is absolutely amazing, is I ordered it on a Monday and had it Wednesday from Taiwan - for a grand total of $266. I don't know if they sell items for non-Suzuki vehicles, but they were great to deal with.

There is so little aftermarket support for this rig, it is amazing - especially considering how cheap, capable and economical they are. They can be an ideal expedition platform for a single person or a couple - take the back seats out and storage space is adequate. Put a roof-top tent on and sleeping space is arranged.

Thanks everybody for the compliments - this one reason I love this board, the diversity of rigs - and lack of snobbery about perceived "lesser vehicles."

datrupr

Expedition Leader
jeffryscott said:
There is so little aftermarket support for this rig, it is amazing - especially considering how cheap, capable and economical they are. They can be an ideal expedition platform for a single person or a couple - take the back seats out and storage space is adequate. Put a roof-top tent on and sleeping space is arranged.

I agree, and what aftermarket there is it is a bit more costly than say......My Trooper. And OME 2.5" lift is somewhere around $700+. Our GV has not let us down on the trail as of yet, though it did get stuck at the Bill Williams River, I blame that on tires and inexperienced driver. Mostly tires though in case Colette ever reads this thread. And fuel mileage is still not too bad with our v6.

jeffryscott said:
Thanks everybody for the compliments - this one reason I love this board, the diversity of rigs - and lack of snobbery about perceived "lesser vehicles."

"lesser vehicles"? Does not exist on this board. That is part of what makes ExPo so great. That, and most of us have seen what the Vitaras can do in person.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalewelsh