Swap Gas for diesel engines

mr_crazy

This one's an OM617 on an '86-'89 body style with IFS. Even though the truck has a bracket lift, it looks like the oil pan clears the steering linkage. The front diff normally sits just under an inch higher and back further where it looks like the pan curves up anyway - it might be close, but it looks do-able without having to make much clearance.

IMG_0584.jpg

...... i love seeing trucks I've worked on, on the boards ......
that motor setup is amazing, the conversion was done at defiant 4wd
using a custom adapter plate and pilot bearing adapter on a re-drilled 22re flywheel, there is a lot of space issues on the trucks (we've built 2 ome617 trucks) but for the power and economy gains it was worth the shoe-horning it in. I drove the first one we did and the power was amazing it had no problem pushing the 38" tsl's

so my vote would be for an ome617 ..... but i wanna keep my tranny ...yay ...new adapter plate ?

mr_crazy

This one's an OM617 on an '86-'89 body style with IFS. Even though the truck has a bracket lift, it looks like the oil pan clears the steering linkage. The front diff normally sits just under an inch higher and back further where it looks like the pan curves up anyway - it might be close, but it looks do-able without having to make much clearance.

IMG_0584.jpg

also .......
that truck had the body moved back 2 inchs
it has a 2 inch body lift,
and a 4 inch ifs lift ....

corax

Explorer
also .......
that truck had the body moved back 2 inchs
it has a 2 inch body lift,
and a 4 inch ifs lift ....

Was the body lift necessary for the swap and do you think the oil pan would've cleared the front diff without a bracket lift (maybe even with minor "clearanceing")? Also, why was the cab shifted rear? I don't see how it would have been necessary for the swap or created more space in the engine compartment. Very interested, thanks

mr_crazy

its how we got the truck the P.O did the ifs lift and made lifted body mounts for 4 of the cab mounts ..... the cab was moved back to run the 38's on an i.f.s setup aparently ... its a friends truck he bought it as a frame one week then 3 later got the cab and bed off the guy .... no motor and trans ....
we had just finished the first swap ..... made a better adapter plate ....
i think with an ifs lift you could drop it enough to fit without a body lift ....without the lift ,body lift would be needed

if you have one of the lifts you should have enough room, without either ...good luck? ......
ill find out prolly sooner then later .... i want to swap a 617 into my truck with the v6 trans behind it with at most an inch and a half body lift .... but i need $$ first

STAGE 2

Adventurer
I suggest anyone thinking about doing the mercedes diesel swap actually drive one of these before hand. When compared to a 22re, there just isn't any real reason to do it. The extra torque is easily offset by the extra weight, and the gas mileage is only 1-2 mpgs better. Most importantly, the cost of repair parts is real expensive.

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
OM617 should go in any IFS truck. It is front sump so it works pretty well. I've seen about 4-5 conversions on the Internet including some stock height trucks. My 2-3" lifted truck with the solid axle was difficult only with the steering. If I had used low height FJ60 OEM steering arms (instead of aftermarket 4x4labs) I would have been fine.

I will say that any of these diesels, the OM617 in particular, as good as it is, would probably be a downgrade versus an OEM V6 in a Tacoma. Also it will never pay for itself in mileage or even biodiesel use (believe me, I've tried). The Tacoma V6s are a new era in Toyota gas engines that have pep and decent mileage. The OM617 will perform though. The biggest drawback is more than most diesels is they struggle a little to start in the extreme cold. This can be remedied though particularly when in the process of doing the swap. But they will literally run another 100K miles even with low compression and some have gone over a million miles with no issues. I'm very excited for mine and it should perform well, have lots of power, and still be quiet. But you have to want to do it because you want to do it. After I have some time in mine as a working vehicle I'll post up what I think. And anyone in the area I'd be happy to let them take a spin and give it some thought. Also, like any engine swap it will be a small fortune to have something like that installed.

I've also owned non USA diesels too. I personally found it fine with just keeping oil filters in stock and having a spare alternator. This said with my most recent build I went out of the way to have the car have parts that were available almost universally at any Autozone, if possible. As little aftermarket as possible so if I lost a radiator in Arizona or something like that, that I would be OK...

mr_crazy

well see here's the thing ...... both of the builds we did .... were almost solely on our own so the cost stays low... were not rich .... we did all the fab ourselves, motor mounts, the first adapter plate was made with a torch, a
grinder and some drill bits..... have some fun build it, don't buy it .....

randito

OM617 should go in any IFS truck. It is front sump so it works pretty well. I've seen about 4-5 conversions on the Internet including some stock height trucks.

I'd love to see any stock height trucks, IFS or SA. I'm not interested in lifting my truck much if at all and would even consider a 616 w/ turbo and minimal boost if it would allow for zero lift.

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
I'll see if I can find the links. There is a bone stock '87 or so 4 Runner that the guy put in a 617. This is a smaller body style than a '89 and later or in particular a Tacoma, and the engine just barely fits in. But it is doable...

maxama10

Welcome to Nevadafornia
Peak mechanical's set up seems pretty solid.

Then again, I'd really prefer the twin turbod 1VD-FTV V8 D4D they put in the 200 series. Close to 500 ft-lbs torque, with better mileage than stock gas engines, yes please.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3