Swing arm suspension?

silvrzuki77

explorer
I built my own swing arm suspension using air bags. I have a build on here. UAV-TT trailer build. Worked really well under my tent trailer.
02a68ee3710fa4ec5585124767d02d56.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ScottReb

Adventurer
Well we can all agree to disagree or keep swinging our purses at each other.

I went with torflex, because its not a bouncey stock trailer spring axle setup. Yes I could have gone to different springs and shocks, but that is not off the shelf, its semi custom. Yes I know parts are not hard to get, but what spring do I want, one from a jeep, one from a chevy s10? Its not like there is a ton of info out there, there is info but I have never seen a list that says if your trailer weighs this, and you want this length spring get this spring from this vehicle.

Torflex is off the shelf so is timbren and I was thinking about both.

Why does one of the trailer axle companies not make an independent swing arm set up using coil springs. Easy to customize just by saying use X spring for Y weight. Set it up with shocks and everything, make it bolt or weld on. Oh because it would cost even more, restrict frame design even more, and never be perfect just like every other system out now ( as in no system is perfect now ).

The biggest design issue with the swing arm is the normal two frame members we are used to attaching axles to are not what it mounts to. you need a big heavy duty cross member very solidly attached to the frame members.
Cruisemaster in AU has been doing this for decades. Mario and the gang at Adventure Trailer tried it and it was expensive and Im guessing they didnt sell many. People talk about wanting lots of things but dont necessarily want to pay the cost for them. Cruisemaster's XT cost $4000 to get to the states, and Im on the closer coast.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Just had Trail-Tailor in Redding convert the 6YO failed Torflex axle for OME 60-Series leaf springs on our Escape 15A. Even without the shocks installed yet (probably need to lose one leaf within the pack to be the right ride height and spring rate...then shocks and brackets will be configured) the ride back from Redding to Carson City was controlled and non-issue; more than I can say for anytime spent with the Torflex system. Aside from the performance differences its nice to be able to have a suspension system I can work on and/or modify easily at will if/when. Whereas the sealed up Torflex system just gets thrown away if/when it fails.

Different strokes for different folks, but leafs are working for me on this trailer project. And didn't break the bank.

high-and-dry

I built my own swing arm suspension using air bags. I have a build on here. UAV-TT trailer build. Worked really well under my tent trailer.
02a68ee3710fa4ec5585124767d02d56.jpg

I have to say that was a clever way of handling the alignment and hubs. I thought about making my own system, but figuring out how to attach the hubs, keep alignment etc stopped me.

I wonder how this could scale up for a larger expo trailer, not a tent on a box. I then would still worry about the pivot points and specing the springs correctly. There is a reason why the swing arms we see on Australian expo trailers are beefy as hell.

silvrzuki77

explorer
Honestly it wasn’t a big deal. Obviously I was building a new frame for the flimsy tent trailer. Which I ended up welding the old frame on to the new one. Once I got the new 6 lug axle, I started setting the suspension being built at full bump with the 35” tires. The swing arms were basically built as one piece. Once installed under the new frame with my measurements I cut the front arms apart and the axle to separate the swing arms. Here is the page on expo for pictures. My son is doing the online stuff right now on my computer. Post 79 I think is when the suspension stuff starts.

Last edited:
Honestly it was a big deal. Obviously I was building a new frame for the flimsy tent trailer. Which I ended up welding the old frame on to the new one. Once I got the new 6 lug axle, I started setting the suspension being built at full bump with the 35” tires. The swing arms were basically built as one piece. Once installed under the new frame with my measurements I cut the front arms apart and the axle to separate the swing arms. Here is the page on expo for pictures. My son is doing the online stuff right now on my computer. Post 79 I think is when the suspension stuff starts.

For some strange reason the pics in that thread are not showing up for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3