swingout tiregate question

rusty_tlc

Explorer

rusty_tlc

Explorer
I am getting less and less enamored with the trailer spindle variants all of the time. The leverage that the tire has on these is huge. The two separate pivots shown above are better so long as they are attached to something rigid. If just attached to a vertical post then may as well use the trailer spindles.
Please elaborate.
Have you seen a lot of failures?
I don't think I've seen or heard of a failure.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Not sure if you have considered this route, but I really like it. Seems very strong (had it for a year with no issues) and if one does happen to break, they are only $12. Hiems. Two on each swing out. Here are some photos.

Smooth swinging, very adjustable and just different and cool

Just another opinion.

Cheers,
Josh
&
Porthos
:smiley_drive:

This guy building swing-away carriers for Vanagons is using Heim joints, and I always thought it was an excellent idea because they're so adjustable.
http://www.telusplanet.net/public/gary2a/rack/swingtire/swingtire.htm

His install instructions basically walk you through using the top joint to fine-adjust the left-right alignment of the swing-away to the body mounted latch, and then use the bottom joint to level out the carrier to the body. Very trick, and should be plenty strong.

My only complaint with the heim-joint solution vs. spindles and others is that I have a harder time envisioning how to add a built-in lock/detent system so that the swing away will lock at a 90 or 180 degree point. I'm sure it can still be done, it just doesn't appear as obvious.

Casper

Adventurer
This guy building swing-away carriers for Vanagons is using Heim joints, and I always thought it was an excellent idea because they're so adjustable.
http://www.telusplanet.net/public/gary2a/rack/swingtire/swingtire.htm

His install instructions basically walk you through using the top joint to fine-adjust the left-right alignment of the swing-away to the body mounted latch, and then use the bottom joint to level out the carrier to the body. Very trick, and should be plenty strong.

My only complaint with the heim-joint solution vs. spindles and others is that I have a harder time envisioning how to add a built-in lock/detent system so that the swing away will lock at a 90 or 180 degree point. I'm sure it can still be done, it just doesn't appear as obvious.

You could do a simple hole and pin to keep it open. And they have spring loaded pins, so you could fab something that would Click in automaticaly.

I am thinking of using gas struts, like what you have on a hatchback. I saw some used on a LC bumper. Pretty slick. We shall see.

Cheers,
Josh
&
Porthos
:smiley_drive:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven