Switched, dimmable 12V Perimeter LED lights on roofrack

wildo

Hi. Is there a perimeter light that would work like this?

Small, flood pattern. On/Off switch preferably on the light. Hi, medium, low settings, preferably selectable on the light. Bonus, dual color LED (amber + daylight).

For context, I have a Jeep with a rooftop tent and a 270 degree awning.

Driver's side: This is where the awning is mounted. I am currently using a pair of Baja Design S2's and it's too bright. I also added the amber LED covers and feel that's a much better color temperature for nighttime usage. If there was a way to add a dimmer and on/off switch, I'd consider this option for the existing setup.

Passenger side: shopping for a light for the shower/privacy curtain plus another light for the ladder to RTT.

All are switched to the SPOD (with bluetooth control) so ideally, the lights are switched on at camp and each light can be independently switched on/off. This makes it easier for guests to use the privacy curtain for a shower or the camp toilet and can turn the relevant lights on/off. To light up the ladder for the RTT, I can turn the light off without having to touch the SPod switch system. I don't want to keep relying on the bluetooth and prefer the tactile feel of a switch.

Thank you.

Not sure if this is the proper place to post this and if not, sorry. I can't seem to find a forum that talks lighting.

emulous74

with your Spod you should be able to dimm the lights, on the touchscreen it's really easy and all my Baja Design lights dim perfectly without any judder. I'm not sure how to do it with the other switches, but it should be possible. I'm also running the bantam, so not sure if the dimming is just for those. You can also run a trigger wire from the Spod and attach a generic switch to that in the place you want it.

wildo

with your Spod you should be able to dimm the lights, on the touchscreen it's really easy and all my Baja Design lights dim perfectly without any judder. I'm not sure how to do it with the other switches, but it should be possible. I'm also running the bantam, so not sure if the dimming is just for those. You can also run a trigger wire from the Spod and attach a generic switch to that in the place you want it.

Hmm, I have the Bantam paired with the old school rocker switches. I can see how beneficial having the touchscreen (dimmable) is now. Thank you.

billiebob

Christmas LED lights on sale, plus a few LED area lights thru an inverter.

But all my lights are independent battery powered.... ie AAA lights.
Always bought at year end on sale, often 90% off at Lowes or Canadian Tire.....
and 4 years later still on the original 3 AAA batteries which were included.
I have 8 of them plus 2 headlights. Total, under $50.
Lighting for $10 year.

But I do like this theme.51019643806_83c9c8723d_h.jpeg

Last edited:

highwest

Checked them out based on your referral and they sell LED lights similar to all other LED lighting, static 12V lighting, no self-contained on/off switch. Thank you.
Most of the offerings here have their own switch/dimmer. No affiliation.

wildo

Most of the offerings here have their own switch/dimmer. No affiliation.

Thanks for this. Apparently, I did not check the 'camping light' section of the manufacturer's website. I use the ARB light strips which are much longer, aluminum railing, and have dim + tri-color controls as well. But they can't be daisy chained so I had to do my own wiring to make the 270 degree awning light up nicely.

I was wanting a more permanent solution to be mounted on the roof rack but can see using the shorter strips as a potential 'camping setup' type option instead. Thank you!

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Mine aren’t on a dimmer but I got some single LED fisheye style lights from Amazon and put 3 on each side of the rack. They are bright enough to read a recipe or instructions but not obnoxious more than 5’ from the Jeep. I had to make custom mounts.

.614AAD9E-1DFD-49DB-970C-BEEE09144F8C.jpeg65B1925A-D7C8-428B-8600-D4A025296350.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
havanother