T-case noise?

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
Is it just me or is the 3-spd T-case noiser than the 4-spd? I drove my 55 for the first time in about 2 months on Saturday and I heard some sort of what I interpret to be gear whine which I hadn't really noticed before. I figured it must be coming from the t-case. I never noticed this in my FJ60, of course that could have been the improved sound insulation and carpet too :shakin:

AndrewP

Explorer
It is slightly noisier, but in my case it's hard to tell because of the SM420!

You could also becoming up on a t-case rebuild if not done in recent memory. T-cases get whiney when the bearings on the idler are starting to wear, but it will still go a long time!

cruiser guy

Explorer
The single piece case seems noisier than the split case for sure. As has been said it could also be bearings though. I know our '55, with an H41/3 speed case, is louder than the '60, with an H55 and split case, as far as tranny noise is concerned and we have covered the floor of the '55 with "Second Skin" sound deadening stuff to allow us to actually hold a conversation in the truck while driving.

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
Thanks for confirming. I hope I'm not due for a rebuild, I believe it was rebuilt in the last couple years by the PO. If it does in fact need a rebuild I think I'll :yikes: I need to start looking into insulation.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
As noted the one-piece case is inherently noisier than the split-cases, even following a comprehensive rebuild. Not a major issue, just annoying. Roll down the windows, the noise goes away :shakin:

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
cruiseroutfit said:
As noted the one-piece case is inherently noisier than the split-cases, even following a comprehensive rebuild. Not a major issue, just annoying. Roll down the windows, the noise goes away :shakin:

You're right because then I starting hearing the window glass banging against the door and it totally shifts my focus away from the t-case!!

AIPOHAKU

Hey Chuck, do you live in Ewa by the new school, or buy your 55 from a guy that does?...I cant remember the name of the subdivision...

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
It is an annoying noise in my opinion, the gear whine. I believe related to how they cut the gears. Even the 4 speed case also makes a noticable whine. The only real solution is an Orion or a later model from a FJ60 or later Land Cruiser. You would need to change your transmission as well to have the later t case bolt up unfortunately. All big picture stuff that frankly probably will not ever be required, just an annoyance as mentioned :)

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
AIPOHAKU said:
Hey Chuck, do you live in Ewa by the new school, or buy your 55 from a guy that does?...I cant remember the name of the subdivision...

I still have the 55 and I live in Ocean Pointe. That's me!

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
dieselcruiserhead said:
It is an annoying noise in my opinion, the gear whine. I believe related to how they cut the gears. Even the 4 speed case also makes a noticable whine. The only real solution is an Orion or a later model from a FJ60 or later Land Cruiser. You would need to change your transmission as well to have the later t case bolt up unfortunately. All big picture stuff that frankly probably will not ever be required, just an annoyance as mentioned :)

Andre, its something I'm just going to have to live with. Just turn the radio up louder!!

AIPOHAKU

ChuckB said:
I still have the 55 and I live in Ocean Pointe. That's me!

My truck was stolen in December and it was found in Ocean Point right next toyour house!..I think your wife came home and when she opened the garage door I saw that beaut sitting on jacks!!!..SAWEET RIDE!!!...Your neighboor the police officer called it in and I was able to re-cover my truck!..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
havanother