Tacoma Double Cab Roof Top Tent Mounting

Uncle D

I just purchased a Tepui RTT for my double cab short box Tacoma. I'm currently running a regular cap in the bed and plan on keeping it for gear storage, frog, goal zero, etc. My question is this: Would I be better off mounting the RTT on the cap or over the cab? I know most mfg of caps will tell you 175 lb weight maximum....which the tent exceeds already. Also, what type of mounting system is everyone using for an application like this? Any insight or experience with this topic would be very helpful. Thanks in advance.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I just purchased a Tepui RTT for my double cab short box Tacoma. I'm currently running a regular cap in the bed and plan on keeping it for gear storage, frog, goal zero, etc. My question is this: Would I be better off mounting the RTT on the cap or over the cab? I know most mfg of caps will tell you 175 lb weight maximum....which the tent exceeds already. Also, what type of mounting system is everyone using for an application like this? Any insight or experience with this topic would be very helpful. Thanks in advance.

What brand of cap? ARE has frame kits that go inside certain models, and I ve seen people build skeletons to go inside cap. I'd want it on the cap if it was me, with a low profile mount.

dman93

Adventurer
Is the tent really more than 175 pounds? All you care about is the empty weight of the tent ... almost any cap and/or rack system that can support 175 lbs driving (aka dynamic load rating), can support the additional weight of tent occupants when parked. This topic has been covered extensively in many threads, but aside from rack or cap strength, I believe cab mounting will be a lot noisier (wind noise). Mine is cap mounted ARE Z Series with Yakima towers and two Yakima crossbars, almost 20K miles so far, off road and high-speed interstate, with no issues.

Uncle D

It's a Jason cap. I bought in a hurry when I was heading out of town. It's not ideal but has worked without fail this long. I was considering a rhino rack heavy duty mounting system. They seem very solid.

Uncle D

The tent weighs 180 lbs without the annex. It's a heavy unit for sure. I wasn't totally sure if the cap would handle it or not. Also...I'm sure anything on the roof affects gas mileage in a really bad way. Do you think I need to fix up an internal frame?

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
The tent weighs 180 lbs without the annex. It's a heavy unit for sure. I wasn't totally sure if the cap would handle it or not. Also...I'm sure anything on the roof affects gas mileage in a really bad way. Do you think I need to fix up an internal frame?
I would do a frame. On the mpg, the tent will only be up there for trips right?

Uncle D

Well....it's my dd for at least a couple more months. After that it'll just be my adventure set up...so, you think mounting it on the cab will be too noisy?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal