Tacoma manual versus auto tranny economy, real world

N

NorCalBorn

Having had the opportunity to drive both an auto and 6speed double cab shortbed Tacoma w/ the 6 cylinder and compare them w/ my 5-speed converted '95 4Runner w/ the 3VZ-E I'll always say manual. Realize their posted #'s are an average from their #'s and test track info. I took both out and will say b/c I was able to stay in gear longer than the auto my mileage average for the 6 speed was a little less, but on a longer drive the manual won out. It all falls down to taking the red brick off of your right foot. Being able to get up to speed on a busy metropolitan freeway with a ton of ****************** who don't let you merge or cut you off is nice. The only overall reason I'll do another auto would be because it'd be for the wife to be able to drive, but for sheer fun factor and simplicity, less likelihood of overheating in the middle of nowhere, etc-etc it will always come down to a manual. YMMV..in my case, the Tacoma was only like +3mpg compared to our Runner, so I'll wait a little more before reconsidering a purchase.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
From my current Tacoma ponder article...

"...As mentioned the supercharger was not a deal breaking accessory I needed or wanted to have when truck shopping, however in hindsight I don't know that I would have it any other way. The 1st generation Tacoma Double-Cab is only available in an automatic transmission package, and while the automatic transmissions are fairly bulletproof they rob much needed power particularly on a heavy laden truck spinning large tires. Many choose to re-gear the axles to get the power back however the supercharger more than makes up for the power loss, allowing me to easily maintain speeds even up the steepest grades and headwinds. My ideal package would be a manual truck with the supercharger but it just wasn't an option and truth be told I've really come to love the automatic..."

I put 100+k in my 5VZ/5spd X-cab running a nearly identical setup tire/load wise as my current 5VZ/auto DC. I was 100% sold on the 5 speed and still miss it on occasion but the automatic does dumb down technical driving, day to day driving and really everything but towing when it warms up a bit (fix it with a cooler). I stand by the need for either gears or engine upgrade with the auto, load and tires. I get in customer vehicles (similar builds as mine sans gears or SC) and they feel most anemic, like agonizingly anemic. I'm sure I could get used to it, after all I drive my I6 40 all over the west but the Tacoma is my go fast no my crawl slow rig :D

slus

Adventurer
I've had several different 3rd gen 4runners with the 3.4. 2 autos and my current manual 99 SR5, and my family has had an 02 SR5 auto since new. The 96, 97 and 99 were set up exactly the same, same wheels, same 265/75/16 BFG mud tires same Yakima roof rack with fairing, driven by the same driver, and they got almost exactly the same mileage. Might see 18 on the freeway, and it will drop to 15 in the mountains with a load of camping gear, but for the most part all 3 were a rock steady 17MPG tank after tank. The 2002 has the same roof rack, but has always been on 265/70/16 all terrains, and it gets about 19mpg average. I've seen 22 on the highway with that one. The street tires and the fact that the 02 sits about 3" lower stock for stock than my 1999 seem to help with the mileage.

The 5 speed is about 100x more fun to drive though!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk