Tacoma or 4Runner

armedandlethal

Looking into getting into 4-wheeling, camping, etc... and getting rid of my '04 2WD Ram 1500 with 198k miles on it for a smaller 4x4 vehicle. Knowing I won't be able to straight trade my truck for a Toyota that is the same year I newer it will take some time to acquire the funds necessary to do so. But in the mean time deciding on a vehicle will allow me do more research and have a set goal of how much money I will be needing to start the project. Along with being used for hunting, camping and such it will also be used as a daily driver. So my question is with equal modifications or stock which will out perform the other, a Tacoma or 4Runner, both being around the year 04-05. As for making the Tacoma more secure, could a camper shell be the same as having the indoor storage like the 4Runner. And lastly what is your overall opinion on either vehicle? On-road performance, storage capability, fuel economy, looks, etc... And again for an 04-05 as even at that age it will make a dent in my wallet. Thanks for the help!

Arktikos

Explorer
With your screen name, maybe look at a Humvee.
They're both great trucks. Toyota rules. If you're in snow country, I would recommend the 4runner over the pickup. Similar and mediocre MPG for both. Looks are subjective: I think the trucks after '04 are ugly, while 4runners look OK until the most recent generation. Older is always better for looks, and your wallet.

armedandlethal

I'm in Texas, so no snow here, however might be some travels up north at some point. I do like the older 4Runners just going towards an older vehicle seems counter productive as I might have to spend more money in maintenance to keep it working, unless it was well taken care of by the previous owner(s).

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
It's hard to answer since there are a lot of variables in play. What's your budget? Do you routinely carry passengers? Do you intend to sleep inside the vehicle? Does choice of engine or transmission matter to you? Do you plan on towing anything with it?
04 was the last year for the 1st gen Tacoma, and 05 the first year for the 2nd gen. The 4th gen 4runners were 03 - 09.
From what I've seen, double-cab Tacomas command a higher price than 4runners for the same year and number of miles - not sure why but probably there were fewer of them made so it's supply/demand.
Having owned both a 1st gen Taco (04) and a 3rd gen 4runner (99), both vehicles based on the same platform and both with the same 3.4 V6, I can tell you the 4runner was much more comfortably equipped, better seats, better suspension, and a shorter wheelbase. The Taco was rugged but very 'spartan' in terms of features: Split bench seat, manual crank windows, etc. The 4runner was nicer but being an auto, was thirstier than the Taco by a noticeable amount. I ultimately got the 4runner over the Taco because I kept needing to carry passengers and the extra-cab Taco just wasn't adequate for that. My current vehicle is an 07 (4th gen) 4runner and it's quite nice, a good all-around vehicle. 4th gen 4runners are pretty pricey on the used market, as are 2nd gen Tacomas. Both have the 4.0 V6 (except some Tacos have the 2.7 4 cyl, but I think most of those are regular cab trucks.) 4runner is auto only (5 speed) and the Taco gets either the 5 speed auto or a 6 speed manual (except the 4 cyl which I think still gets a 5 speed manual.)

mrothwell

I would only get the Tacoma if you absolutely need the truck bed or a manual transmission. The 4runner is a better vehicle all around except for the features I just mentioned. I own a Tacoma, BTW. I needed a truck bed and wanted a manual transmission.

Dances with Wolves

aka jk240sx
I owned both SUVs and pickups. We looked at 4Runners & Tacomas when I replaced my Titan 7/14. After researching for almost a year and evaluating my needs, I went with a Tacoma with a shell. My main reason was hauling dirty, wet stuff. When I had SUVs in the past, (Cherokee,Grand Cherokee, Rodeo and a Trooper, which was my favorite) I had to fiddle around with keeping the interior clean and making sure the trim didn't get scuffed up. Plus securing gear so it wouldn't kill me. With the Tacoma, I just throw stuff in the back and hose it out later.

I gave up some creature comforts but the trade off was worth it. I only need tunes, power windows and AC and I'm happy. I also like the size of the Tacoma. I'm 5'9" and 150 lbs so the Tacoma fits me well. The only people I haul in the back seat are my 3 year and my 2 small dogs.

I'd say drive both on an extended drive and decide which one fits you and your needs best.

cationmoted

Observer
4th gen 4runners have a fully boxed frame and disk brakes all around unlike the tacoma. You could also get the Japanese made 4.7 V8 (stronger rods than the US made ones) in them which was found on the land cruiser. The V6 4th gen 4runner came with a fulltime and part time transfercase. Only problem is the lack of a manual transmission which could only be had on some tacomas.

JLee

Adventurer
I'm in Texas, so no snow here, however might be some travels up north at some point. I do like the older 4Runners just going towards an older vehicle seems counter productive as I might have to spend more money in maintenance to keep it working, unless it was well taken care of by the previous owner(s).

Are you mechanically inclined? I bought my last Tacoma north of 260k and sold it just under 283k. Right after I bought it, I did ball joints, tie rod ends, and steering rack bushings. In two years, I replaced the AC belt, the throttle position sensor and the fuel pump. I replaced the rear suspension as well, but only because I wanted to - not because I had to. They are very solid trucks.

SIZZLE

Pro-party
Can't go wrong with either. Just be sure to get the V6 (or V8 if 4th gen 4Runner) and 4wd with a good maintenance history. Other than that, it's personal preference.

A.Wilson013

Adventurer
Thank you for all the help, I'm leaning more towards the 4Runner due to being slightly cheaper, covered storage, and the V8 option.

Indeed. The Tacoma pricing is out of control.

If your intent is an overland build, be very cautious with your cargo. I don't have a lot of stuff, but I feel like I am running out of space in my 3rd gen 4Runner. I may need to look into a platform roof rack in the future, or perhaps a small trailer.

yfarm

Observer
Be aware the v8 4Runner transfer case has an issue with seal leaks on the electric actuator. Improved on 2006 and later. Repairs at dealer can run $2500. Or just accept and periodically add fluid. Also check low range function on awd system before purchase. Water pump replacement at 70k miles. Sold my 2004 ltd at 150k miles, above repairs, two sets of brakes, two sets of tires. Overall great vehicle. Probably should of kept but got pissed over seal issue and low range and bought Raptor.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk