Tacoma Tire Pressure - BFG A/T 265/75/16's

laminarflow

This may seem like a silly question, but I am looking for some guidance on tire pressure for my new BFG A/T's 265/75/16 on my 2003 Tacoma with a 2.7L engine wearing a Leer cap. I just bolted on OME coils/leafs and I noticed after the subsequent new tire install that the sidewall pressure maxed out at 60 psi (?)...

What pressure are folks running with a little weight in the back (100 or so pounds of gear) and or when you air down for offroad? I am running 40 psi now when on pavement, but that seems high. Obviously, when one loads up for a real trip and fills the back with gear and snacks, pressure must be increased. I am just looking for ballpark numbers based on experience.

And for what it is worth, I am amazed at what the OME kit did for the truck (ordered from Wheelers). Sure, getting every Northeast salt corroded bolt off was a giant pain, but the truck drives and handles better than ever. I thank all of you who have written such detailed write-ups pointing me in the right direction. Regards. :smiley_drive:

gearbox

Adventurer
After much scientific testing, I run at about 35PSI in the 265/75/16s under my 2006 AC Tacoma w/fiberglass top and ~300 pounds of gear.

And by scientific testing I mean squinting one eye and muttering "that oughtta do it."

If you're really concerned about it you could do the chalk test...
BTW, the "ballpark" figures ought to be printed on the driver's side door jamb. My generation is 28 front, 32 back, I think.

Jedd

Observer
I'm running BFG AT's right now in my 08 tacoma. I run the rears between 25 and 35psi and the fronts at 45psi. I find that unless you lower the pressure considerably in the rear the tires wear rapidly on the inside of the tread.....over inflation.

When I'm hauling heavy loads or towing a trailer I'll up the pressures, at least in the rear.

Your best bet is to take the numbers you get off here and try a few different pressures, eventually you'll find the ideal setup for the weight of your rig, driving style, and comfort.

as far as off roading with the BFG AT's, I've had mine down to 10psi and the beads haven't blown off, just be carefull turning sharply.

Applejack

Explorer
I had a Taco with the Bfg's in that same size as yours and found that 32-35 psi is a great all around pressure to run. For trail duty I liked to run 10-15 less, depending on the trail.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk