Tacoma tranny: 6spd vs. auto

McFly2003

Adventurer
So I am planning on getting back into a Toyota 4x4 when I get back from Afghanistan (more specifically a new taco...if anyone out there is in the market for a loaded subaru forester xt, let me know! :sombrero:) and am not as in the know as I'd like to be on the trannies in the taco's (I am a 4runner guy). I Have no issues picking up an automatic if it is what's available or it is the better choice, but I really like the idea of getting back into a standard shift vehicle.
How do the two options compare as far as reliability, strength and maintnance? The truck (I plan on picking up a DCSB TRD) will be a daily driver that will be moderately modified for overland use, taken off the beaten path for camping and exploring, may occasionally tow a small trailer, etc.
any input is hugely appreciated!

Wasatch

Observer
I have owned both the 5spd (2.7) and now 6 spd (4.0) on my 2013 AC. The manual is not only better on trails, but going down and up mountain passes as well. I find you need to be nicer to the 6spd than the 5spd, but still a very solid gearbox. I plan to add a short throw shifter once I get around to it.

I am sure the auto is excellent and probably more available. But, you also pay more for it!

Hope this is helpful.

McFly2003

Adventurer
Very, thank you! I also believe it gets slightly better fuel economy. Both of my 4runners (3rd and 5th gen) have had auto's. I think one of my biggest concerns is durability. I already know the auto is pretty bulletproof, unsure on the manuals

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
I recently purchased a '14 DCSB with the 6spd manual. After test driving multiple autos, I felt like the tranny was just a bit too mushy. I drove the 6spd, and I immediatley knew that it was for me. Seems peppier, and I like having control of the gear it is in.

Hound

Sheepdog
In the interest of full disclosure, I had a '08 TRD OR access cab that I special ordered with a manual. While I loved the 6-speed, it very quickly developed a squeak ( which continued to get worse ) every time the clutch pedal was depressed. I took the truck to the dealer several times and their excuse was that it was the dust from the dirt road I live on, that was causing the squeaking... The dealer was able to lube it each time I brought it in and the squeaky clutch pedal would disappear for a week or so but it would always resurface. Needless to say, the squeaking got pretty old. Now maybe I just got a bad truck and/or maybe this has been addressed on the newer trucks, but I would want to know if I were in the market.

Other than the squeaky clutch pedal, I loved the manual transmission in the Tacoma.

Last edited:

Wasatch

Observer
In the interest of full disclosure, I had a '08 TRD OR access cab that I special ordered with a manual. While I loved the 6-speed, it very quickly developed a squeak ( which continued to get worse ) every time the clutch pedal was depressed. I took the truck to the dealer several times and their excuse was that it was the dust from the dirt road I live on, that was causing the squeaking... The dealer was able to lube it each time I brought it in and the squeaky clutch pedal would disappear for a week or so but it would always resurface. Needless to say, the squeaking got pretty old. Now maybe I just got a bad truck and/or maybe this has been addressed on the newer trucks, but I would want to know if I were in the market.

Other than the squeaky clutch pedal, I loved the manual transmission in the Tacoma.

Same problem here in both Tacomas. Open up the boot in the transmission where the throw-out bearing is. It's the lever that moves the bearing when you push the clutch in. Spray some White Lithium grease in there and problem be gone.

I do it about every 5-10k.

McFly2003

Adventurer
Thanks for all of the wisdom, mates! I test drove an auto before picking up my 5th gen, and it was pretty much what I expected. I plan to test drive a 6spd when I get back to the Springs, trouble is that 4x4 yota's fly off the shelves in CO

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
2005 here with 115 on the odo and much of that off road in some of the harshest terrain in North America. My vote is for the slushbox, it has been flawless.

mike2100

Observer
I never hear complaints from auto owners on the trail. I do hear some gripes from manual owners that try to be slow/gentle. They say feathering the clutch gets old after awhile, even the guy with a second transfer case said if he did it again he'd just go auto.
If you're the type of person whose philosophy is "when in doubt, power out" then why not get the manual?! haha

DoMiNiC1

Adventurer
I have the 6 speed, 4.0 in my FJ and love it, it is full time 4-wheel drive though.. Not sure if it is the same gear box as the taco or not but I love my manual off road, low range crawls slow, no need to "power it out"... lol

p nut

butter
One of my issues with a manual is, I take the truck when I go hiking, biking, climbing, or skiing, and in the event I injure a leg or arm, I am pretty screwed. Actually did happen to me about 15 yrs ago skiing up at the resorts. Separated my shoulder and had to call up a friend to drive all the way up to get me. With an auto, I could have driven down by myself.

Modern autos are well-built and I wouldn't have any concerns for the long haul. Many Land Cruisers, 4Runners, Taco's, etc. have surpassed hundreds of thousands of miles on auto transmissions without a hiccup. Not bagging on manuals, because they're pretty fun to drive, but for me, I would go with the auto.

tacollie

Glamper
My 05 was an auto and my 07 is the 6 speed. The auto has a reputation of being more reliable than the manual. The auto is supposed to get better mileage but my experience is the manual does better. I personally don't care because the manual is way more fun to drive. The auto always was jumping around looking for gears even with stock tires. It drove me nuts. Drive both and decide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

McFly2003

Adventurer
Thank you for bringing that up as well. One of my biggest qualms, esp while living out in CO with all of the mountain driving is the constant gear changes with the auto trannies

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Paddy

Adventurer
The manuals kind of suck on these trucks. Not sure why but its lame. However, I can't drive an auto, so I have a 5sp. Careful driving, rear end gears and a short throw shifter kit went a long way to making it drive able for me. Looking at the ratios, I think the 6sp would be best for bigger tyres, but you will not likely have the choice depending on your model.

McFly2003

Adventurer
What makes you feel like like they suck? I would end up in a 6spd, just as a result of the trim and options I am looking at. Gears would be on the to do list as I will likely end up running a 33" tire and want to keep the truck as well rounded and reliable as possible. As for getting stuck due to injury, that has actually happened to me before. I fell bouldering a few years back and had to drive myself out as my phone had died. I only needed the clutch to get it into 1st and get it rolling. With careful driving and rev matching, I made it to the hospital only depressing the clutch to come to a stop.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77