Tacoma Trans & Driveline Problems

DaVikes

Adventurer
I'll second what Montypower said about the ideal solution being a double cardan joint behind the carrier bearing. Toyota took a few dollars of cost out of the driveline and ended up with a truck that doesn't always tolerate lifts very well. In Denver, a quality shop quoted $400 to convert the existing driveshaft to a double cardan setup. Another option would be finding an older used driveshaft from a 4Runner. When you look for driveline shops, ask them what rpm they balance the driveshaft at. Higher is better. The shop I used in Denver balanced the shaft at 3500 rpm. Lesser shops were balancing at 2300 rpm. Good luck.

montypower

Adventure Time!
I'll second what Montypower said about the ideal solution being a double cardan joint behind the carrier bearing. Toyota took a few dollars of cost out of the driveline and ended up with a truck that doesn't always tolerate lifts very well. In Denver, a quality shop quoted $400 to convert the existing driveshaft to a double cardan setup. Another option would be finding an older used driveshaft from a 4Runner. When you look for driveline shops, ask them what rpm they balance the driveshaft at. Higher is better. The shop I used in Denver balanced the shaft at 3500 rpm. Lesser shops were balancing at 2300 rpm. Good luck.

I read about one guy who took a used 1st gen Taco shaft and swapped flanges and lengthened to fit. That could be the least expensive route... of course, you're dealing with used joints. My 100% new custom driveshaft with new carrier bearing (much heavier duty than OEM) was around $600. No issues since. :)

bat

Explorer
I am not trying to bag on you but have you been under the truck looking around and trying to see some wear marks for the clanking and pulling, moving anything for the drive shaft. Have you rolled up to speed when the vibration happens and put it in neutral to what happens, roll up and put it in 4wd (GOING STARIGHT) to see if something happens. Try to isolate the problem and so you can tell them what is going on. There are so many Tacoma's rolling with lifts and stock drive trains that work just fine when setup correctly but a few do have problems.

gfiero

Adventurer
I took it back Tues, the mech. and I went for a drive, he reshimed the carrier and now it feels like it should, no charge. They still want to see it a 500 miles. But they appear to have it right. I am looking into a new driveshaft for the future. Thanks all for the input.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater