Take the gamble or run? Disco shopping ITT

brianf408

Observer
I've been lurking around here for about a year now, back to actually shopping for a budget rig now that I've graduated college and finishing buying our new home.

Took a look at this 96 Disco the other day: http://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/3625962754.html

96, 150k miles, little rough but for $1600 what do you expect? Just lots of little stuff: driver's window won't roll down, sun visor missing, front grille broken, needs tires and a suspension refresh (but I would do that to any rig). A good detail job in and out would go a long way, along with a Saturday sorting out the left-behind bits of old stereo systems and various "modifications."

When I checked it out yesterday, he couldn't get it to start. The alarm was going off, and it wouldn't let the engine crank. It was warm, someone had just test driven it. He said I could either buy it real cheap, and his buddy would tow it to my house for me; or I could wait for him to get it figured out and come back for a test drive and negotiate.

With a little research, it seems the alarm can be finicky with the battery getting old/low voltage (and the battery didn't exactly look new). Could also just need reset with I believe the 1515 code. Should I even go try to investigate further? Or just keep searching? I don't particularly want to gamble and buy it without driving it first, but I also don't want to pass on a deal if it actually runs like a top.

UPDATE: seller just contacted me, sorted the alarm out himself, says it's up and running strong. Going to swing by on the way home from work to see how she drives.

Last edited:

David Harris

Expedition Leader
I've been lurking around here for about a year now, back to actually shopping for a budget rig now that I've graduated college and finishing buying our new home.

Took a look at this 96 Disco the other day: http://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/3625962754.html

96, 150k miles, little rough but for $1600 what do you expect? Just lots of little stuff: driver's window won't roll down, sun visor missing, front grille broken, needs tires and a suspension refresh (but I would do that to any rig). A good detail job in and out would go a long way, along with a Saturday sorting out the left-behind bits of old stereo systems and various "modifications."

When I checked it out yesterday, he couldn't get it to start. The alarm was going off, and it wouldn't let the engine crank. It was warm, someone had just test driven it. He said I could either buy it real cheap, and his buddy would tow it to my house for me; or I could wait for him to get it figured out and come back for a test drive and negotiate.

With a little research, it seems the alarm can be finicky with the battery getting old/low voltage (and the battery didn't exactly look new). Could also just need reset with I believe the 1515 code. Should I even go try to investigate further? Or just keep searching? I don't particularly want to gamble and buy it without driving it first, but I also don't want to pass on a deal if it actually runs like a top.

UPDATE: seller just contacted me, sorted the alarm out himself, says it's up and running strong. Going to swing by on the way home from work to see how she drives.

Keep searching. . . You can find A LOT better trucks for that money.

Last edited:

Scott Brady

Founder
I recommend finding the one or two owner car that had everything serviced at the dealership. Those Land Rovers have never disappointed me. Regular care and service makes all the difference with these trucks.

Daryl

Adventurer
That's too bad he sorted out the alarm....well, if he definition of cheap is $500-600. Because that's what I've picked up a few non-runners for.

If you're handy and enjoy the work as well as knowing these trucks and where to get parts without spending entirely too much money you can do well on something like that. I've been driving a $500-tow-it-home truck for a couple of years now.

brianf408

Observer
I recommend finding the one or two owner car that had everything serviced at the dealership. Those Land Rovers have never disappointed me. Regular care and service makes all the difference with these trucks.

Where does one find a specimen like that for under $3k? The only ones I've found like that locally in almost a year of searching are VERY overpriced, I mean totally laughable. Things like $12k for a 100k+ mile 2000 Disco II with some records and an OME lift and a winch. Anything under $3k has almost identical issues: window motor(s) out, lots of little things, but runs/drives strong. I don't mind a bit of a project, my current DD BMW was a $900 purchase with 250k on it; a couple grand in parts and a couple weekends of elbow grease and it's been one of the most dependable cars I've ever owned.

Locally I have these other options in my budget ($3k or less initial purchase, $1500-2000 for lift, tires, fixes over the next few months):

2000 Disco II, all records, unknown miles, needs an engine: $1500
http://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/3590017873.html

95 Disco, 172k, "new" tires, $3k at a SHADY dealer
http://kansascity.craigslist.org/ctd/3620114175.html

97 Disco, 135k, laundry list of known issues, $2500
http://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/3601906856.html

98 Disco, 140k, huge rusty dent in driver's door (as described by seller, who sounds about 17 and knows nothing else about it) $3000
http://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/3604028389.html

2000 Disco II, 146k, 2" lift, ugly wheels, $4500 - out of budget, would have to hope it needs absolutely zero maintenance for a few months
http://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/3625086811.html

There's a whole slew of Disco II's at little shady dealers around town, but for laughable prices and unknown service histories.

David Harris

Expedition Leader
That's too bad he sorted out the alarm....well, if he definition of cheap is $500-600. Because that's what I've picked up a few non-runners for.

If you're handy and enjoy the work as well as knowing these trucks and where to get parts without spending entirely too much money you can do well on something like that. I've been driving a $500-tow-it-home truck for a couple of years now.

I've had similar luck. I picked up my first D1 for 500.00 and it only needed a front u-joint. My second D1 was nicer but wouldn't start. I got it for 750.00 and found that the starter wire was loose. Tightened it and it fired right up! After basic maintenance I drove both on cross-country trips.

Daryl

Adventurer
My second D1 was nicer but wouldn't start. I got it for 750.00 and found that the starter wire was loose. Tightened it and it fired right up!

That's funny, because my current $500 one was sitting at a gas station for 6+ months after having a starter replaced and it "didn't fix the problem". The owner didn't even have the money for the starter/tow bill so they didn't go any further. After towing it home and getting the dead battery replaced 100% free under warranty I found that the shop had been lazy with the starter replacement by not removing the heat shield so they didn't see the ground lead that they failed to connect on the top starter bolt. While I'm pretty sure this is the incorrect location for that ground lead (it was probably the chassis/engine ground) simple getting it grounded again made it fire right up.

The $500 I paid was to the service station to clear the guys bill and have it towed to my house. The poor bastard handed the title over because he simply couldn't afford it and was being told he needed to get it out of the lot NOW or he was going to be charged for storage. He had bought it for several thousand dollars from a slimy used car lot and put all of 2500 miles on the thing in the year he owned it.

Beat up models of these trucks are definitely not financially reasonable for anyone who doesn't do their own work. But if you do you can get a hell of a deal.

brianf408

Observer
That's funny, because my current $500 one was sitting at a gas station for 6+ months after having a starter replaced and it "didn't fix the problem". The owner didn't even have the money for the starter/tow bill so they didn't go any further. After towing it home and getting the dead battery replaced 100% free under warranty I found that the shop had been lazy with the starter replacement by not removing the heat shield so they didn't see the ground lead that they failed to connect on the top starter bolt. While I'm pretty sure this is the incorrect location for that ground lead (it was probably the chassis/engine ground) simple getting it grounded again made it fire right up.

The $500 I paid was to the service station to clear the guys bill and have it towed to my house. The poor bastard handed the title over because he simply couldn't afford it and was being told he needed to get it out of the lot NOW or he was going to be charged for storage. He had bought it for several thousand dollars from a slimy used car lot and put all of 2500 miles on the thing in the year he owned it.

Beat up models of these trucks are definitely not financially reasonable for anyone who doesn't do their own work. But if you do you can get a hell of a deal.

That's quite a find for $500, wish I could get that lucky.

I do all of my own work, I worked as a mechanic for a few years before going back to school for engineering. Still have all my tools and a good air compressor, and my new garage is tall enough that I may be able to put in a lift.

I checked out about every DI could find within 100 miles of here, and there was absolutely nothing worth what the sellers were asking. The $1600 one sold the other day, and after a second look I'm glad I passed on it. My wife has been convincing me to look at something newer, nicer, and with lower miles. With all of the overpriced junk D1s that seems to pop up in my area, I think I'm going to change my search to look for a 2004 DII and finance it. Probably something with 75k or less, and a good known history.

Daryl

Adventurer
That's quite a find for $500, wish I could get that lucky.

I don't mean to over represent what I got.....yes, it started and ran, but since then I've put $1000 in parts into it (springs, shocks, head gaskets, radiator, water pump, hoses, etc, etc). But having something that's just a bit tired inside with a fresh cooling system and suspension for $1500 plus a bunch of work is still a deal in my book.

I checked out about every DI could find within 100 miles of here, and there was absolutely nothing worth what the sellers were asking. The $1600 one sold the other day, and after a second look I'm glad I passed on it.

Don't discount looking further away. If you can find something even across the country it can be worth the time and expense to collect if your local market is that bad.

I think I'm going to change my search to look for a 2004 DII and finance it.

For your own sake, PLEASE do not finance a decade old money pit luxury vehicle. Just wait until you have more cash in hand if you want a newer/more expensive one.

So many people have gone down this path and it's let to heartbreak and financial ruin.

Howski

For your own sake, PLEASE do not finance a decade old money pit luxury vehicle. Just wait until you have more cash in hand if you want a newer/more expensive one.
x2 And in regards to the thread title, I would absolutely NEVER take a gamble on any Discovery. If they've been neglected they can be a nightmare. Be patient, look around the country and find yourself a well taken care of truck. Save up some money if you need to. Spending a little more up front on a well kept truck will really pay off later on

brianf408

Observer
I don't mean to over represent what I got.....yes, it started and ran, but since then I've put $1000 in parts into it (springs, shocks, head gaskets, radiator, water pump, hoses, etc, etc). But having something that's just a bit tired inside with a fresh cooling system and suspension for $1500 plus a bunch of work is still a deal in my book.

Don't discount looking further away. If you can find something even across the country it can be worth the time and expense to collect if your local market is that bad.

So many people have gone down this path and it's let to heartbreak and financial ruin.

I understand the situation on the $500 vehicle. My current BMW was a $900 car, yes it ran enough to drive home but I've put almost another $2500 in parts on it (full suspension refresh, exhaust, gaskets, oil pan, skid plate, alternator, misc fixes and interior bits, etc). My wife hates that I've put that much money in parts in it, but even with over 260k miles on the clock it's a dead reliable car I'd trust to go anywhere. I was lucky enough that the car had over 12 years of receipts, and was meticulously cared for until the previous owner got a hold of it. I was hoping to find a similar condition Disco, but they seem to be treated in a less friendly manner, and the ones that are taken care of seem to pull a premium. It's hard for me to justify a fly-and-drive on an inexpensive vehicle like that, unless I happen to find someone on here selling a nice vehicle for a decent price. I do travel quite a bit for work, and always check the craigslist ads for those locations while I'm there, but no luck so far.

And for financing, I agree it's not the best plan, but it does keep the wife happier about the vehicle. Just a speculative plan at the moment since I'm frustrated with the used market. I'd always prefer to buy a vehicle with cash, and at the rate I'm finding vehicles, I'll have the cash saved before I find a good one anyhow. Even on 2004's, I've only found one that would even be worth considering and it was 400 miles away. I'd love to have a 2004, but I'm definitely not ending the search for a decent Disco on the cheap. Hopefully a well-maintained one pops up in the forum classifieds, haven't seen one in my budget for a few months. All the members here seem to take decent care of their rigs.

Is the manual transmission even worth considering if I happen to find one (never even seen one in person in all my searching)? The automatics seem stout, but I do prefer a manual in my vehicles.

Daryl

Adventurer
Is the manual transmission even worth considering if I happen to find one

Absolutely. It's going to severely limit your choices, but if you find the right one I'd say go for it if that's what you like.

I've come around to appreciating that an auto is good for off roading if you run it properly and in the right situations. There are still situations where I wish I had a 5 speed.

And yes, the auto transmission on these trucks are pretty stout ZF boxes. You probably have a very similar ZF box in you BMW if it's an auto.

brianf408

Observer
Absolutely. It's going to severely limit your choices, but if you find the right one I'd say go for it if that's what you like.

I've come around to appreciating that an auto is good for off roading if you run it properly and in the right situations. There are still situations where I wish I had a 5 speed.

And yes, the auto transmission on these trucks are pretty stout ZF boxes. You probably have a very similar ZF box in you BMW if it's an auto.

I don't have enough experience off roading to know if an auto or manual is better, I'm sure each have benefits and shortcomings in different situations. I do at least like the feeling of control with a manual. Most of the off roading I've done was in an old Ranger and Nissan hardbody, both 5-speeds. And the BMW is a manual, so can't speak for the durability of the ZF box. Definitely not limiting my search to manuals, I'd be shopping around for a long time to find a good one.

David Harris

Expedition Leader
I don't have enough experience off roading to know if an auto or manual is better, I'm sure each have benefits and shortcomings in different situations. I do at least like the feeling of control with a manual. Most of the off roading I've done was in an old Ranger and Nissan hardbody, both 5-speeds. And the BMW is a manual, so can't speak for the durability of the ZF box. Definitely not limiting my search to manuals, I'd be shopping around for a long time to find a good one.

I would drive both and see what you like. Contact the local Land Rover club and see if someone has a manual Discovery I. Besides Defenders, that's the only model that was brought to America with 5 speeds, from 1994-97.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kabobkabobkabob