Talk Me Out of an OBS as a budget overlanding rig!

Ari3sgr3gg0

Northwest you just keep an eye for them on Craigslist. Not terribly hard to find. And while an OBS truck is easier to find they then have to find a suitable camper on the back as well. The 4x4 van is also a more discreet package to not look like full timers.
Besides, if the area your in has a huge price increase over another area why not make a trip to save a few thousand? I know plenty of people have flown 1,000 miles to get the vehicle they want and then drive it back home

zelseman

Observer
Northwest you just keep an eye for them on Craigslist. Not terribly hard to find. And while an OBS truck is easier to find they then have to find a suitable camper on the back as well. The 4x4 van is also a more discreet package to not look like full timers.
Besides, if the area your in has a huge price increase over another area why not make a trip to save a few thousand? I know plenty of people have flown 1,000 miles to get the vehicle they want and then drive it back home
We are not opposed to driving or flying for the right rig. This thread was for figuring out if an old truck with a camper was a reasonable full time solution.

A van would be okay, but there’s no headroom. Pop top requires a lot more money in addition to a pricey and in demand van. If the right one comes up, we will definitely look at it, but some of the prices for 4wd vans are laughable.

OBS_Overlander

I am mostly done with such a build. 97 F250, crew cab, diesel. I paid $16k for the truck with 100k miles on it. I swapped the ttb Dana 50 for a Dana 60, G2 chromoly axles and G2 hubs. For suspension I put Atlas progressive springs in (love them, super smooth) and Rancho 9000 adjustable shocks. I would stay away from those. First trip out to death valley and one was puking fluid. The second trip the adjusters quit working. I will be upgrading to Fox shocks as soon as money will allow. I could ramble for a while about the build, let me get to pros and cons.
Pros far outnumber the cons. Parts are abundant and cheap, more room than one might know what to do with, really good mileage for a big truck (15 mpg with a heavy foot) and LOTS of torque. There is still a pretty big aftermarket for these trucks, so suspension ideas are limitless. Very reliable truck.
Cons: Large and long footprint will limit trails. I don't think I'm going to try the Black Bear Pass switchbacks or the Rubicon. For some reason I go through a heater core every four to five months. My next step is to have a brass one custom made and hopefully that will take care of it. That's it. Only two cons.
I spent a lot of money on my truck but I did a lot of stuff that didn't need to be done. If I eliminated those things, I would be into this truck for $20k. I am into it about $35k over the last five years. I still have to do gearing and lockers, bumpers and winch. To me, worth every penny. I would not go with the 460, due to fuel consumption alone. If you went with SD body style, I would say the same about the V10. I had one and it drank as much as the 460 and got passed by big rigs going up hill. I hope this helps. Hit me up if you have any questions.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
You have enjoyed your Skoolie van for all these years so why not find and purchase a Skoolie 4WD van that was converted to 4WD when new for a school system school bus as a replacement of your current Skoolie van?

You will buy that used 4WD Skookie for maybe 1/2 the cost of a 4WD conversion on a 2WD van such as the one you currently own if you shop hard, are willing to travel to purchase and you will still have the stand up space you need.

You can also drop the rear driveshaft on your 4Runner and pull it behind your new to you 4WD Skoolie that will have a lot more power than your old 6.2 Skoolie if needed for dual purpose traveling and exploring!

Yes I know you said you would like to consolidate to 1 vehicle however sometimes the type of vehicles you already have with a little upgrading just might be the ticket to fun and freedom!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven