Tepui Tent RTT

D

Deleted member 48574

We found the space to be adequate for the three of us. We do like our space when sleeping and everyone slept well.
It is a little tight adding the back packs for clothing as well but it did work out fine. We will likely have to come up with another clothing system when the daughter gets taller since she had a pack at her head and feet. Maybe leaving a majority of it in the ruck and just moving the essentials into the tent on a smaller pack.

Eric,

Great write up!

I am curious about how you said you had stored you bedding.

My wife and I simply leave it as we slept in it, but the way yours is written it seems that may not be the case? We find we have room so spare with this configuration. It was a little right when we had our Woods 5-star arctic bags up there but considering the size of them I'm not surprised (rolled they are still 4 feet wide and 2 feet diameter).

As for storage up top, here's an idea:

IKEA and Bed,Bath, and Beyond both sell collapsible fabric boxes. We only have one but intend to get a second one. The foldable box is about 12x12x18, and holds our shoes and the next day's clothing just fine. It saved us getting mud and dirt into the tent. When we fold it up the box collapses and stays up top with the gear.

The second box will be reinforced and bolted to the tent bottom within easy reach of the main door. That way it'll hand down when the tent is deployed and we can stow boots or rain gear that is wet in the box, freeing up space inside. Then when it's time to get out, we can sit in the door, reach down for boots, and off we go.

Evan's customer service is second to none; my tent was wearing out in various places but I'm thrilled to see a parts section online. When I originally needed a new cover it was a bit pricey but that whole process should be greatly refined with the online ordering. I will be slowly upgrading my tent as bits wear out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eric S.

Adventurer
For the bedding we just pre-folded it over to ensure it would lay as flat as possible. Pillows don't stay in the tent.

Thanks for the collapsible box idea I'll have to check them out. We were thinking about adding something as well that hangs under the tent for shoes it would be nice to keep them off the ground and handy at the door.

osidepunker

Adventurer
This thread is epic! Thx fellas!

I researched RTTs to death over the last year. I decided on a Howling Moon Stargazer last december, but I have been waiting ever since for one to arrive in the states. Bundu refuses to call me back after 3 voice mails and 6 emails going back to march. Sierra ignored my email for a couple weeks and then I decided to call them. Talked to someone in March. They said the tents would be here in "8 to 10 weeks". Well a month ago I called them again and they said the same thing.

Finally last weekend I had enough. I decided to revisit the RTTs, budget up to $3k. Howling Moon was out due to lack of dealer support in the US. I considered Eezi, but had a hard time with the price they were asking. I finally came across this thread. Based on the experiences you guys have had I pulled the trigger on a Ruggedized XL in grey.

Im super stoked! Tent will be here in a week or so and I will post up a mini review. I wont be able to mount it for a few months because the truck will be in the shop for a rear suspension build.

I already plan on inspecting the hinge bolts, straps, and ladder screws. Any other items I should pay close attention to?

Box Rocket

This thread is epic! Thx fellas!

I researched RTTs to death over the last year. I decided on a Howling Moon Stargazer last december, but I have been waiting ever since for one to arrive in the states. Bundu refuses to call me back after 3 voice mails and 6 emails going back to march. Sierra ignored my email for a couple weeks and then I decided to call them. Talked to someone in March. They said the tents would be here in "8 to 10 weeks". Well a month ago I called them again and they said the same thing.

Finally last weekend I had enough. I decided to revisit the RTTs, budget up to $3k. Howling Moon was out due to lack of dealer support in the US. I considered Eezi, but had a hard time with the price they were asking. I finally came across this thread. Based on the experiences you guys have had I pulled the trigger on a Ruggedized XL in grey.

Im super stoked! Tent will be here in a week or so and I will post up a mini review. I wont be able to mount it for a few months because the truck will be in the shop for a rear suspension build.

I already plan on inspecting the hinge bolts, straps, and ladder screws. Any other items I should pay close attention to?

I love my Ruggedized XL. It's a great tent and the Ruggedized features are a big plus and puts these tents on par with much more expensive tents.

stingray1300

Explorer
Just picked up my Tepui Gran Sabana - the mondo tents of tents. 78" x 96".

First thing I did was look over the stitching, and it was all very nicely done. As it comes in the box, it is pretty heavy, but after the annex comes out (I plan on leaving it unattached until needed), it's not too bad. As a welder, the welding on the stainless steel ladder brackets are a bit sloppy (really small MIG welds), but will be fine because they're stainless steel, so I won't mess with them.

Inside is voluminous! And yes, we will be augmenting the 2 1/2" pad with a memory foam pad; maybe another 2". I also opted not to buy Tepui's condensation pad. I'll buy it somewhere else. It looked fine, just didn't want to spend $125 for it.

Bottom line is that I'm glad I bought the Tepui instead of the CVT; for a few reasons. And it is a NICE looking tent. Can't wait to get to use it now!

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
Bottom line is that I'm glad I bought the Tepui instead of the CVT; for a few reasons. And it is a NICE looking tent. Can't wait to get to use it now!

I have every intention of reading this massive thread...but, in the meantime, can you elaborate on the differences of the Tepui and the CVT? I'm looking at both and was leaning towards CVT. Any insight as to why the Tepui is a better tent would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

surferdude78

Observer
What sold me on a Tepui was hearing they have their own team on the ground in China. That & their dedication towards product development like the new Sky & Ruggedized models even down the small details like the anchor hold down points on the base & the added storage on the end walls of my new Ruggedized tent.

Box Rocket

I have every intention of reading this massive thread...but, in the meantime, can you elaborate on the differences of the Tepui and the CVT? I'm looking at both and was leaning towards CVT. Any insight as to why the Tepui is a better tent would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

PM sent.

infra

n00b

Thanks!

Well fill me in as well Adam! I sold my CVT to a buddy and bought a new one in the GB but am not impressed with the quality. I'm actually contemplating selling it and buying a Tepui tent

Colonal Angus

Adventurer

Dude, great pm! Thanks for taking the time to put that together. I forwarded it to infra so you wouldn't haven't type that up again (hope you don't mind). I'm still a little ways out from buying a tent. I gotta let the dust settle after buying my lift and (hopefully) sliders.

Thanks again!

Well fill me in as well Adam! I sold my CVT to a buddy and bought a new one in the GB but am not impressed with the quality. I'm actually contemplating selling it and buying a Tepui tent

infra, I'll trade you Adams pm for some info on the CVT quality (I forwarded you the pm already ;) ). I'd like your honest feedback. So many people bought into the group buy and I was super close to hopping there, too but didn't at the last minute. Please elaborate on your thoughts and/or your concerns.

Thanks!

fj40lc

I just installed my tepui kukenam roaring mountain. I was wondering what every one is using for bedding. I was planing to use flannel sheets and a down comforter, but my wife is having a hard time finding anything that would fit. I was planning on storing all bedding in the tent, and figured this might take up considerably less room than large zip together sleeping bags.

osidepunker

Adventurer
I just installed my tepui kukenam roaring mountain. I was wondering what every one is using for bedding. I was planing to use flannel sheets and a down comforter, but my wife is having a hard time finding anything that would fit. I was planning on storing all bedding in the tent, and figured this might take up considerably less room than large zip together sleeping bags.

lol my girl already has grandiose plans for sewing velcro onto the sheets and making custom shapes. I told we would store it open in one of our spare bedrooms so we could play with it and experiment until we get the RTT rack figured out

infra

n00b
Dude, great pm! Thanks for taking the time to put that together. I forwarded it to infra so you wouldn't haven't type that up again (hope you don't mind). I'm still a little ways out from buying a tent. I gotta let the dust settle after buying my lift and (hopefully) sliders.

Thanks again!

infra, I'll trade you Adams pm for some info on the CVT quality (I forwarded you the pm already ;) ). I'd like your honest feedback. So many people bought into the group buy and I was super close to hopping there, too but didn't at the last minute. Please elaborate on your thoughts and/or your concerns.

Thanks!

Got it, thanks.

I'll get back to you later tonight.

Box Rocket

Are you guys gonna reciprocate? :) Infra, I'd like to hear your firsthand thoughts on the CVT if you don't mind.

stingray1300

Explorer
Sorry I didn't get back to you, I can't get on here every day...

A few things that helped make my mind up about Tepui over the CVT was 1- CVT ignored a few of my inquiries by e-mail. I know Bobby is on the road a lot (?), but how can I count on a business to address my concerns if they can't deal with issues right away? Bobby was nice enough, for sure, but Evan-and-company at Tepui was just a notch above. Next was the ladder. CVT has a fold-out type; and if your rig is lifted any, you'll need an extension. Tepui's ladder is telescoping up to 8-6". It self adjusts to whatever length you need. Also, the window awning struts fit into pockets instead of rings. Next is the annex: the bottom of the Tepui is rubberized and is thus impregnable to water or mud. Other than that, I just like that they are about 2 hours from my house, and I saved the $200 shipping (Tepui charges $150, BTW) that CVT wants to ship.

HTH!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven