Tepui Tent RTT

TheFutur

Adventurer
Ok, so would 1.5 inches or 2.5 inches be better. I think the rack will be fine, just the height of the mounts.

I'd go at least 2.5" from where the aluminum extrusion sits from the top of your vehicle, 1.5'' and you will be struggling to tighten the nuts and you will be cursing yourself...

Maybe someone else can offer an opinion haha.

EDIT: I honestly disliked the mounting system so much I welded some 1x1 1/8" angle to my rack on my trailer and bolted it directly to the trailer, not it's held in 8 points instead of 4 and it's a bit more secure.

I take it you want to keep your COG down by building the rack as low as possible to your vehicle? If that's the case just keep in mind you'll have to fit your hand in that small space and use a wrench to secure your tent!

Unruinable

I just realized I never posted pics of my Ayer mounted... so here she is. I fabricated my own roof rack and my pit bike rack as well. I bought the tent earlier this summer and used it a handful of times, mostly testing different ways to "use it" with different internal set ups. I love it!
Posing in front of some Ohio "swamplands"

The red line coming out of the window is a 12V extension that I plug a power inverter into to run my fan/led lights/usb charger inside the tent.

Last edited:

Beanzermin

Observer
I'm looking into the Tepui Ayer. Exploration outfitters is offering free shipping so it comes up to great deal! My question is, is there anyway i can get an Ayer in Haze Grey? I would much rather have that as my 4Runner is also grey! I would be willing to hold out just for that reason. Mounting has raised another question for me. I'm currently running a Rhino Rack Platform. it is 48" wide. perfect for the Ayer! Except I have my awning on the driver side. How hard is it to mount the tent with an awning? I was planning on having the tent open over the back of the truck. With the extensions I have for the awning it would create a lot of shade and protection from the elements getting to and from the annex.

image.jpg

Last edited:

Beanzermin

Observer
Here is a pic of the awning from my last outing. The sidewall has poles that allow it to run parallel with the awning.
image.jpg

TheFutur

Adventurer
I'm looking into the Tepui Ayer. Exploration outfitters is offering free shipping so it comes up to great deal! My question is, is there anyway i can get an Ayer in Haze Grey? I would much rather have that as my 4Runner is also grey! I would be willing to hold out just for that reason. Mounting has raised another question for me. I'm currently running a Rhino Rack Platform. it is 48" wide. perfect for the Ayer! Except I have my awning on the driver side. How hard is it to mount the tent with an awning? I was planning on having the tent open over the back of the truck. With the extensions I have for the awning it would create a lot of shade and protection from the elements getting to and from the annex.

View attachment 329439

You can mount them both in that configuration, BUT, you should try and keep your awning mounted just below the bottom of the tent. This is because if the awning is to high up you will most likely not be able to stake out the side window of the tent with the tension rods because the awning will be in the way of them.

These arent the greatest pictures but they do illustrate why if you're not following me so far...

5rl7i6w.jpg

^ My windows are not staked open there but you can see the two flaps, one on either side of the hinge where the tension rods attach to the tent. The rods flex quite a bit so you might find it extremely difficult or impossible to open up the awning-side window.

8ePcMWc.jpg

^ This picture is not as clear but you can see how the tension rods bend in this photo, they go straight out a ways so if your awning is right beside your tent on the same plane you will not be able to attach the tension rods to the tent.

If I were you I'd attempt to manufacturer a new mounting bracket for the awning that will put the top of it around a 1/2" from the two holes the tension rods slot into.

Just my 2 cents! If you have any questions feel free to ask!

EDIT:

Here is another photo that kinda shows the tension rods clearance to my awning:

plllQsX.jpg

I designed my brackets to actually hold the awning up higher but I ran into the issue of not being able to open my window, I ended up just flipping the brackets upside down so the held the awning below my rack instead of above it.

Last edited:

Box Rocket

Currently no plans for a Haze Grey Ayer, but I can bring it up. Typically for something "out of the norm" like that it is a possibility if there is enough interest. It isn't cost effective to just do a one-off tent in a different color. But if there is enough interest from committed buyers to do a run of 10-or-so in a particular color then it starts to make sense and become a better possibility.

Beanzermin

Observer
you should try and keep your awning mounted just below the bottom of the tent

Thanks for that info! Mine does sit up a bit past the platform. I might have an inch or so that i can drop it down. If it hangs down anymore than that I think my doors will catch it when they open. Something I guess I'll have to look into.
current pic of how the Sunseeker awning sits

image.jpg

Currently no plans for a Haze Grey Ayer

No problem. Figured I would see if one was coming out before I placed my order. I think the tan will still look good! Do you know the color of the annex? Is it tan as well? I would hate to have 3 different colors going on in my tent. Blue annex, tan Ayer, and grey rainfly.

TheFutur

Adventurer
Thanks for that info! Mine does sit up a bit past the platform. I might have an inch or so that i can drop it down. If it hangs down anymore than that I think my doors will catch it when they open. Something I guess I'll have to look into.
current pic of how the Sunseeker awning sits

If worst comes to worst you might need to space the tent an inch or so higher so you can use that window. Or just not use that window at all...

Box Rocket

No problem. Figured I would see if one was coming out before I placed my order. I think the tan will still look good! Do you know the color of the annex? Is it tan as well? I would hate to have 3 different colors going on in my tent. Blue annex, tan Ayer, and grey rainfly.
This is a picture of a standard Autana but it's the same color combo you'll have with a tan Ayer/annex.

ljrunner05

Adventurer
Last night was my wife and my first time sleeping in our new Tepui, and as awesome as it was we were both pretty uncomfortable on that OEM mattress. We are both side sleepers, and it's just not thick or soft enough for that IMO. So, does anyone know the mattress dimensions for the Autana Sky? Looking for a mattress topper online.

Obligatory Pictures
IMG_0942.jpg
IMG_0938.jpg

Box Rocket

Last night was my wife and my first time sleeping in our new Tepui, and as awesome as it was we were both pretty uncomfortable on that OEM mattress. We are both side sleepers, and it's just not thick or soft enough for that IMO. So, does anyone know the mattress dimensions for the Autana Sky? Looking for a mattress topper online.

Obligatory Pictures
View attachment 331391
View attachment 331392
Tent base is 56x96" when open. The mattress is maybe an inch smaller on each side.
I'm a side sleeper too and have never been uncomfortable but I understand everyone is different when it comes to sleep.
I know several people that added a 1" memory foam pad on top of the mattress with good luck without it making it too tight to zip the travel cover.

ljrunner05

Adventurer
So it's pretty close to a full size? Ya, I've been reading though this thread and see a bunch of people putting different types of toppers on them. I don't mind having to pull it out and store it in the trailer so it can close up, as long as we can sleep more comfortable! Thanks Box!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater