Testing the water: 1988 Mercedes-Benz G-Class, G WAGEN.

Titus Pullo

Adventurer
Testing the water:
For sale is my 1988 Mercedes Benz G class/ G wagen.
Eligable for import in the US - 25 years exempt
4 cyl. 2.3 gasoline engine, 5 speed standard transmission, 4 WD with locking front and rear differentials.
Good condition, drivable, plated.

Might need a cosmetic TLC, mechanically in pretty good condition.

A 2.5 TD OM602xxx engine sits in the floor of my garage, its a easy swap and I can do it if the buyer wants so.

US$ 11500 OBO.
Contact for full details.

025291217.jpg

031505246.jpg

Titus Pullo

Adventurer
thanks y'all.
Unfortunately it doesn't looks as nice as in the first picture any more but is still pretty decent.

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
I've read the diesel swap isn't as easy on the 2.3 as the 2.8- can you verify?
Nice rig none the less, GLWS

Titus Pullo

Adventurer
I've read the diesel swap isn't as easy on the 2.3 as the 2.8- can you verify?
Nice rig none the less, GLWS
You have read - I have done them. A weekend worth of job from turning the key off on the 2.3 to turning the key on on the 2.5 (or 3.0) TD. 6 such conversions by now.

Titus Pullo

Adventurer
Cost of conversion?
price of the engine plus 16 - 20h. labor plus supplies - metal plates to build the new engine brackets, exhaust pipe, fuel lines, cooling lines, rad hoses, vacuum lines, hose clamps and miscellaneous hardware. On some 602/603 and all 606 engines the turbo must be converted as well, so it ads more to the price.
In my particular case the cost of conversion will be around $2000.

intense1

Observer
What would the on-road performance be like with the diesel? I recently drove a TDI range rover, and it was a 45mph endeavor to climb hills on the fwy. I wanna be able to do at least 65 up a hill with a full load.

Titus Pullo

Adventurer
Pulling the truck back from sale.
It's going on storage now, as any other winter.
In the spring the diesel engine will be installed, the truck will be converted back to stock suspension, new tires will be fitted, some body and cosmetic work will be performed and than it will be back on the market. For different price though.

It is going to look again like this:

034296582.jpg

Not like this:

034296612.jpg

Thanks everybody for the interest and feel free to contact me again in 6 months.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven