Tex's '18 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro build

Wallygator

Adventurer
Yeah do what you want as you and the wifes happiness is all that matters. I am keeping mine stock height as long as I can. When the suspension is worn out I will lift it, most likely OME. I have the C4Fab sliders with RCI aluminum skids. Sometimes I want to lift it but then for me that opens a whole can of worms....lift, bigger tires, regear, front locker, etc...I just can't (don't want to) afford all that so I keep it stock for the best economy and reliability. Hell it will do everything I am willing to do stock anyway, these things are awesome offroad.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Yeah do what you want as you and the wifes happiness is all that matters. I am keeping mine stock height as long as I can. When the suspension is worn out I will lift it, most likely OME. I have the C4Fab sliders with RCI aluminum skids. Sometimes I want to lift it but then for me that opens a whole can of worms....lift, bigger tires, regear, front locker, etc...I just can't (don't want to) afford all that so I keep it stock for the best economy and reliability. Hell it will do everything I am willing to do stock anyway, these things are awesome offroad.

Oh there’s no question that they are exceptionally capable off road in stock form. We only ended up with 275’s in the second week of ownership because we had one of the factory Nittos fail with unrepairable damage. I ended up putting the 1.5”/1” Cornfed spacers on for that little extra room because I got them for a song. I need to do the RCI or similar skid plates next so that the armor is done.

I’ll likely put King’s or BP-51’s on it this coming year, but I have not yet ruled out the standard OME 3” lift either, it’s just such a great kit for the money. Decisions need to be made in regards to the lift and bumpers next for sure.

I have yet to even mess with the A-Trac system in it as I haven’t found myself anywhere that required its use yet. I foresee a trip to Hidden Falls soon to put it through its paces.

Dalko43

Explorer

The 5th gen 4runner is best left with as few modifications as possible, mostly due to the engine and fuel economy. I've never gotten around to putting sliders on, but those and better tires would be the only modifications that are absolutely required for overlanding in most parts of North America.

With a rear locker, the 4runner is surprisingly capable in stock form.

Wallygator

Adventurer
Oh there’s no question that they are exceptionally capable off road in stock form. We only ended up with 275’s in the second week of ownership because we had one of the factory Nittos fail with unrepairable damage. I ended up putting the 1.5”/1” Cornfed spacers on for that little extra room because I got them for a song. I need to do the RCI or similar skid plates next so that the armor is done.

I’ll likely put King’s or BP-51’s on it this coming year, but I have not yet ruled out the standard OME 3” lift either, it’s just such a great kit for the money. Decisions need to be made in regards to the lift and bumpers next for sure.

I have yet to even mess with the A-Trac system in it as I haven’t found myself anywhere that required its use yet. I foresee a trip to Hidden Falls soon to put it through its paces.

I'm pretty much in the same boat with you as far as suspension goes. Those BP-51's and King's are very nice but the older I get the more I just want simple things that work for a long time with no or minimal maintenance required. So I am also leaning towards the standard OME kit. I have had that kit on a Tacoma before and it just worked. I have not used A-trac either. It's hard to get a very expensive but capable vehicle in too much trouble due to the fact, it's nice ....and expensive. :)

Tex68w

Beach Bum
So is this thing going to see dirt or just be a mall queen? 'cause all I see are pavement shots. :p:D;)

Lol! It's run the Matagorda beach a few times now (40 miles round trip) and I had it out hunting quail this week, I just spent $8 at the car wash today blasting off the caliche/rock mess underneath. I've had her out at the ranch once to hunt on a muddy rainy night, but no, she hasn't seen any trails or "targeted" off roading other than the beach so far.

I spend more time in the PW off-road but as soon as momma gets her LC this coming year the 4Runner will become my daily and I'll likely hit the ground running with the rest of the mods I have planned at that time. I still touch 19-20 mpg's in it on the highway with the 275's so I'd be hard pressed to go any bigger on the tires anytime soon, but I do plan to upgrade the suspension sometime next year. I will definitely be adding a bumper and winch and likely skids underneath.

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
Lol! It's run the Matagorda beach a few times now (40 miles round trip) and I had it out hunting quail this week, I just spent $8 at the car wash today blasting off the caliche/rock mess underneath. I've had her out at the ranch once to hunt on a muddy rainy night, but no, she hasn't seen any trails or "targeted" off roading other than the beach so far.

I spend more time in the PW off-road but as soon as momma gets her LC this coming year the 4Runner will become my daily and I'll likely hit the ground running with the rest of the mods I have planned at that time. I still touch 19-20 mpg's in it on the highway with the 275's so I'd be hard pressed to go any bigger on the tires anytime soon, but I do plan to upgrade the suspension sometime next year. I will definitely be adding a buyer and winch and likely skids underneath.

Ok good! I was getting worried!

Tex68w

Beach Bum
We had great weather and some free time today so we took advantage of it and hit the beach. The tide was low and way out and winds were 2-3mph if they were present at all so the beach was smooth and wide. This was our chance to run the entire length of beach from Matagorda to Sargent and back, 42 miles in total.

We ran across an affordable boat.

nVssmDg.jpg

Flipper's cousin Flopper owed money to the wrong people and it finally caught up to him.

6gjJnAo.jpg

The cut between East Matagorda and Sargent, the very end of the beach run 21 miles up the coast from Matagorda.

6wgV6lL.jpg

Still averaged nearly 17 mpg's in this stuff over the 42 miles of beach.

DUVKX2R.jpg

I also got to get out and shoot some quail this week and I took the 4Runner along (that's me on the left).

Oz2wPqR.jpg

Last edited:

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I spend more time in the PW off-road but as soon as momma gets her LC this coming year the 4Runner will become my daily and I'll likely hit the ground running with the rest of the mods I have planned at that time. I still touch 19-20 mpg's in it on the highway with the 275's so I'd be hard pressed to go any bigger on the tires anytime soon, but I do plan to upgrade the suspension sometime next year. I will definitely be adding a bumper and winch and likely skids underneath.

So what will become of the Power Wagon?

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Nice 4Runner

Thanks! I wish it were further along, but with two vehicles to mod at once I find it hard to focus on both lol. Momma wants me to keep this build a little milder as well since she drives it to work a few days out of the week. I smell a winch, bumper, and skid plates coming in the new year.

Last edited:

chasespeed

Explorer
Thanks! I wish it were further along, but with two vehicle to mod at once I find it hard to focus on both lol. Momma want me to keep this build a little milder as well since she drives it to work a few days out of the week. I smell a winch, bumper, and skid plates coming in the new year.
LOL, I hear that.
After my Jeep, I'm trying to keep my Taco as low key as possible.... bought the TRD, threw some decent rubber on, and running it.

Cant wait to move back.....

Enjoying your thread... especially the beach pics... dont know if its making me more, or less homesick though....lol

Sent from my SM-T827V using Tapatalk

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Well with the quickly arriving departure of the PW it looks like I can remain focused on building out the 4Runner now without distraction. I am not sure what should come next, but I am leaning towards some storage containers for the roof rack (need the interior space when traveling for the 200lbs of dogs in tow) and a Switch Pros and battery upgrade so that we can get the 40" BD S8 on the rack and the fridge/freezer out back when needed.

We picked up a crack in the windshield this past weekend on our trip to Austin so I will need to get that replaced before I bother with wiring the light bar. Any thoughts on skid plates? Looking at RCI, CBI, and Hefty Fab.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater