Thai Mog? - What the heck is this thing?

dhackney

Expedition Leader
(mods - I didn't know where to post this. It's a mog-type thing, but didn't really fit in the mog forum. It's powered by a Hino motor, which is probably is the closest to the Fuso section, but it's not a Fuso or an Isuzu. Not knowing where to put it, I put the post here. Move at will to where you think it fits best.)

We kept seeing these things along the road in Thailand, but couldn't get close enough to see what they actually were.

They were fleeting glimpses of an unknown species; at least as fleeting as a lumbering chassis with tractor tires and a corn sheller welded onto its frame can get.

2012-11-07-40d-2215-1200.jpg

But, this afternoon, while we were out tooling around the outskirts of a town we didn't even expect to be in until we changed our minds halfway through the day, I spotted it, a captive specimen, pinned to the ground in a mechanic's shop.

I pulled a quick U turn and we pulled over. I jumped out and asked if it was OK to take pictures of the truck.

They all, to a person, looked at me like I had three heads. The owner and chief, well, only, mechanic motioned to a woman to come over. She knew English. She actually knew English really well. That fact in no way lessened her astonishment that anyone would ask if it was OK to take photos of this truck in the driveway of the shop.

"Yes, of course, yes, it is OK," she smiled in that enigmatic Thai fashion.

And so it began, Doug's minutely detailed documenting of a vehicle that is still a mystery.

Here's where you come in, loyal ExPo member.

I have limited bandwidth and online availability here in Thailand. However, I know that with your combined powers of Google Search and the energy that comes from the unknown provenience of a potential expedition camper chassis, you can quickly answer this mystery: What the heck is this thing?

The motor, and presumably the transmission, are Hino. The chassis, I was told, was, or possibly still is, made in Thailand.

It's basically a Thai Mog, a road going truck that can and does do agricultural field duty.

As to who made the chassis, all I could get from the translation from English to Karen (a local hill tribe language) to Karen back to English was "I don't know."

Yes, you followed that correctly. The mechanic only speaks Karen. His sister, who just happened to be visiting from Bangkok when we pulled in, speaks Karen, Thai, Dutch and English. If she hadn't been there, we would have learned nothing. (When things like this happen when you are traveling you know you are in sync with the universe.)

This particular example, and most of the ones we've seen in this part of the world, have a corn sheller mounted on the back. I saw at least one of these chassis in the lowlands with a different payload but I couldn't tell what the payload was.

So, here you go ExPo. Do us proud.

What the heck is this chassis?

And, more importantly, why hasn't someone done a build on one yet?

:)

BTW, take special note of the driveline design. This is Mystery Number Two for me, as I remain somewhat under-researched and definitely under-knowledged about these big chassis.

What is the proper design/engineering name for this type of driveline where the differentials are rotated 90 degrees and the driveline, including the transfer case, can remain elevated?

Take a look at that breakover angle. Sure, there's extra weight and complexity in those gear housings on the diffs, but note the continuous driveline possibilities presented by those U joint flanges temptingly presented on top of the front and rear diffs.

And, OK, yes, sure, there are certainly some Noise, Vibration and Harshness (NVH) issues suggested in the cab, but nothing that early generation Mog owners haven't overcome.

And, yes, you are correct that Steph is not particularly excited about the stock passenger seat. But, I reminded her, "Think about how much your air seat transformed the Fuso."

In my eyes, in the immortal words of Wayne Callison, "All she needs is a little work."

2012-11-07-s100-2614-1200.jpg

2012-11-07-s100-2616-1200.jpg

2012-11-07-s100-2629-1200.jpg

dhackney

Expedition Leader
What does the "blinker" light under the dash do? Is it a shift indicator? Marks redline?

I didn't delve too much into the electrical system, but I'd guess it's a shift indicator to signal the move from Thai tea to Thai coffee. ;)

The mechanic and his assistant were re-wiring all the lights on the rear of the chassis. I got the feeling that it was a new purchase by the owner and they were going through it to get it on the road for this harvest season.

Here's the human side to this story.

2012-11-07-s100-2616-1200.jpg

The kid on the back of the truck lost his father to an early death when the kid was nine. The mother couldn't support him, so the mechanic, who has kids of his own, took in the boy. The mechanic is teaching him how to be a mechanic after school and on weekends. The kid seemed quick, sharp and smart. I think he'll make it.

Here's Steph and I with the mechanic's two daughters. They took photos on their own camera with us for their English class for extra credit. The kids get two hours of English every day in school.

2012-11-07-s100-2599-1200.jpg

4xdog

Explorer
Those kinds of things are all over Asia, especially southeast Asia, in near infinite variety. Mechanical mules for the most part -- not really transportation. Ya gotta love the ingenuity, though.

Don

Desert Dan

Explorer
Agricultural use?

Looks similar to what I have seen in Ventura County. The wheel width fits in the furrows of the crops for harvesting.

762X39

Explorer
The diffs look like 2 1/2 ton Rockwells the way they are rotated upwards (not that I know anything about Rockwells). Yep, they are very utilitarian but then my 404 is also utilitarian but built in Germany. I managed more than a few multi thousand kilometre trips in the Mog so there is no reason to think some Thai adventurer couldn't manage a few adventures with this platform.:coffee:

dhackney

Expedition Leader
Those are "rockwell" axles - commonly used on US military trucks.

Thanks for answering that mystery for me.

I was fascinated by that design.

Is there a particular reason that approach is not more widespread?

It looks like that design yields advantages in ground clearance and breakover angle.

Disadvantages:
  • Complexity
  • Cost
  • Weight

Advantages:
  • Ground clearance
  • Driveshaft clearance
  • Driveshaft u-joint angle
  • Breakover angle

Am I missing something?

Does anybody offer a conversion kit for the popular platforms, e.g. Jeep, Taco, etc.?

I only ask because people seem to get very enthusiastic about portal axles, etc.

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
looks like an up built 4x4 version of an Etan

Yes they look like rockwells- but are probably a chinese or russian version

dhackney

Expedition Leader
We were out on some rural roads yesterday and came through some areas where corn was the primary crop.

Along the way we saw 15 more of these mystery vehicles.

2012-11-08-40d-2541-1200.jpg

2012-11-08-40d-2573-1200.jpg

I was able to spend some with the operator of one, but language challenges prevented me from learning who built the chassis.

2012-11-08-40d-2563-1200.jpg

In this part of the country, the corn is hand picked, put into bags, transported to the sheller locations, shelled, and then transported onward.

2012-11-08-s100-2723-1200.jpg

The fields are too steep to allow mechanized or animal powered agriculture.

Steepness can be challenging to communicate in a photograph. We saw entire mountainsides planted in corn that were as or more steep than anything in this photo.

2012-11-08-s100-2708-1200.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilgirl