The 2016 Toyota Tacoma Revealed

Clutch

<---Pass
I know this is not a Tacoma link but I also know some people will cross shop the two, so I think some folks here might be interested in the link....GM says 30 MPG+ on the HWY....

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/s/2016-chevrolet-colorado-diesel-first-192500578.html

Very cool, but you have to pay fullsize truck prices to get it.

Too bad they didn't take a page out of the Ram EcoDiesel playbook, and offer it in the base work truck model.

Chevy teases us with the ZR2 concept...then doesn't offer it in the extra cab model, no manual trans option either...really lame GM...really lame.

2016-Chevy-Colorado-ZR2.jpg

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I like manuals if I bought a new 2016 Taco it would be the manual. If I bought a 2017 diesel canyon it would be a Auto. Different machines different engines. The small modern diesels are awesome, but their power band makes manuals tricky especially off road use. You either have nearly zero grunt or you have gobbs of grunt the transition between can make them tricky.

As for price? It is what it is. If a 6cylinder Subaru decked out is almost 40k, a nice truck with real transfer cases hitting 40k should be no surprise. Cost to build these trucks is pretty much the same as a full size so thinking smaller is cheaper doesn't work its flawed logic. If you want a big truck get one. If you want a smaller truck get one. I cant use a big truck its too wide to difficult for daily use around here. A really nice Canyon pushing 30+ on the highway would be an interesting replacement for a Subaru, or mid sized light SUV. I had a Ranger years ago loved it. Today I would need a 4dr, good crash rated quiet nice interior midsized pickup to replace our Subaru or it aint happening.

Clutch

<---Pass
I like manuals if I bought a new 2016 Taco it would be the manual. If I bought a 2017 diesel canyon it would be a Auto. Different machines different engines. The small modern diesels are awesome, but their power band makes manuals tricky especially off road use. You either have nearly zero grunt or you have gobbs of grunt the transition between can make them tricky.

The rest of the world doesn't seem to have a problem with manual transmissions in an off-road environment. Think Americans are less skilled or lazy...or a combination of both. :D

I have personal reasons why I like manual trans over autos...dad is in a wheelchair, you never know when you'll loose an ability...pushing that clutch in is a constant reminder of how good I have it. ;) Hence the screen name.

As for price? It is what it is. If a 6cylinder Subaru decked out is almost 40k, a nice truck with real transfer cases hitting 40k should be no surprise. Cost to build these trucks is pretty much the same as a full size so thinking smaller is cheaper doesn't work its flawed logic. If you want a big truck get one. If you want a smaller truck get one. I cant use a big truck its too wide to difficult for daily use around here. A really nice Canyon pushing 30+ on the highway would be an interesting replacement for a Subaru, or mid sized light SUV. I had a Ranger years ago loved it. Today I would need a 4dr, good crash rated quiet nice interior midsized pickup to replace our Subaru or it aint happening.

Spec wise I like the GM diesel, but I don't want have to pay for things I don't want or need. Can buy a fullsize for $10K less than what the GM Midsize is commanding. That $10K in savings buys and awful lot of fuel, beer, and tacos...I am self employed...the more I spend, the more I have to work...and I kind of like this semi-retired lifestyle I am living...the less I have to work the better. ;)

We don't need to haul people, and never will...extra cab 6' bed is about perfect for us. has worked for the last 15 years...I imagine it will work for another 15 years.

I could forgive GM for the no manual, if it was offered in the extra cab, work truck model for around $30K...I can pick an Ecodiesel for that...so not unreasonable.

Best bang for the buck right now seems to be a extra cab 6.5' bed F150 XL/XLT with the 5.0 V8...decent mpg and power numbers...not that much bigger than a midsize CCLB, available with a payload up to 3000lbs. My neighbor has one, compared it to my Tacoma...it really isn't that much bigger. Be reall hard for me to leave Toyota though. In all reality..I really only need a 4 banger 4WD Tacoma, can grab one of those under $25K...that sounds even better than spending $30K...and forget about spending $40K on a truck that isn't going to do anything that much different for my needs. $40K for a little truck that can't really haul anything physical size wise...seems crazy to me, I can get that with a Tacoma for much much less.

Last edited:

calicamper

Expedition Leader
The manual is a rare thing today. I miss mine. Though given the trips I've done the past few yrs a manual would have been miserable thanks to traffic jams. The simple basick truck with key 4x4 gear is pretty much gone all the makers like boosting the profits by forcing you to the higher profit model for the pricier running gear. Same sort of game played with the car based CUVs vs the car they are based on regarding tow rating. LOL. Oh you need light towing ability? You need to purchase the wagon version of the Sedan to get that. Pffffttt, Towed my toys with our Car for years!!! Never had any issues and it was rated the same as the more costly wagon. Today you only see tow ratings listed for the pricier wagons. Even if they are identical to the sedan even down to the bolt hole mounts for the hitch. HA!

The mid sized trucks are going down that same path.

Clutch

<---Pass
The manual is a rare thing today. I miss mine. Though given the trips I've done the past few yrs a manual would have been miserable thanks to traffic jams. The simple basick truck with key 4x4 gear is pretty much gone all the makers like boosting the profits by forcing you to the higher profit model for the pricier running gear. Same sort of game played with the car based CUVs vs the car they are based on regarding tow rating. LOL. Oh you need light towing ability? You need to purchase the wagon version of the Sedan to get that. Pffffttt, Towed my toys with our Car for years!!! Never had any issues and it was rated the same as the more costly wagon. Today you only see tow ratings listed for the pricier wagons. Even if they are identical to the sedan even down to the bolt hole mounts for the hitch. HA!

The mid sized trucks are going down that same path.

I had a little scare this year with a slipped disc in my L5...it was giving me horrible sciatica down my left leg...I could barely push the clutch in...mostly better now, but it was a reminder that any day you can loose mobility....so I am not giving in to an auto just yet. One day I will have to.

Yep basic trucks are a re rare thing anymore...you would think in this day and age with all the choices we have that wouldn't be the case. Perhaps the day will come we can 3D print exactly what we want at home. :D

I am not happy with Toyota either...I am fine with the SR model. There is no mpg advantage with the 4 over the V6, and loose a bunch of power. So ok no problem...I'll just buy the the V6 SR for a grand more...then you loose the MT, to get a manual in the ACLB...I have to buy the Sport, and spend $4-5000 to get it. I do not like how the manufactures do these packages. Why spend a bunch of money for stuff I don't want or need?

Wagons all but dead too.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I'm done with manuals for a daily driver. IMO autos are just so much better these days. I only want to row gears if its a vintage truck or a fast car.

Clutch

<---Pass
I'm done with manuals for a daily driver. IMO autos are just so much better these days. I only want to row gears if its a vintage truck or a fast car.

I have been driving them for so long now, it is second nature. Funny, when I drive our SUV I feel lost...I try to push a clutch pedal in that isn't there...and grab for the gear lever...which slams the trans into a low gear...that ain't good. Just gimme back my row your own truck. ;)

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I came to that conclusion when we replaced my 5spd Subaru and the new 6spd manual had all sorts of odd throttle nanny stuff going on making it a dog especially on San Francisco hill starts with a load. The old 5spd cable to throttle body Subaru would just snap too and go. The new car bogged down till the nanny agreed power was needed.

Manuals are great aslong as they are done well. Next manual will probably be a Porsche ;-)

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I came to that conclusion when we replaced my 5spd Subaru and the new 6spd manual had all sorts of odd throttle nanny stuff going on making it a dog especially on San Francisco hill starts with a load. The old 5spd cable to throttle body Subaru would just snap too and go. The new car bogged down till the nanny agreed power was needed.

Manuals are great aslong as they are done well. Next manual will probably be a Porsche ;-)

Definitely a manual in the Porsche. That's the only problem with the GT3, if it had a real manual I might get one. Haha

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner