The 2024 Tacoma Hybrid … would you buy one “

calicamper

Expedition Leader
As an owner of a 2023 highlander hybrid I am a big fan. Toyota does hybrid better than anyone IMO. We get 36mpg in a large midsize SUV with AWD.
The Sienna same platform is in the 40-44mpg range. Both are front wheel drive with rear wheel assist AWD system. Comparing that platform to a body on frame truck is about like comparing the Camry to the Tacoma, Camry shares the same platform with the Highlander, Sienna, and various Lexus models also.

For people hauling and pavement only they do well. As for mileage my Ford Fusion plugin hybrid life time average is 62mpg. Way way more car than the Prius which many friends and neighbors have none of them have an average over 52mpg.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
The Sienna same platform is in the 40-44mpg range. Both are front wheel drive with rear wheel assist AWD system. Comparing that platform to a body on frame truck is about like comparing the Camry to the Tacoma, Camry shares the same platform with the Highlander, Sienna, and various Lexus models also.

For people hauling and pavement only they do well. As for mileage my Ford Fusion plugin hybrid life time average is 62mpg. Way way more car than the Prius which many friends and neighbors have none of them have an average over 52mpg.
If you can have an off-road capable truck- rear locker, front swaybar disconnect and get 25 mpg I consider that a win- much better than the diesel mess. Tacoma is the best selling midsize by far and they improved every part of the truck, it should sell well.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
If you can have an off-road capable truck- rear locker, front swaybar disconnect and get 25 mpg I consider that a win- much better than the diesel mess. Tacoma is the best selling midsize by far and they improved every part of the truck, it should sell well.
No need for hybrid to get low mid 20’s with a mid sized 4x4. My 400hp full sized non hybrid nearly does that. 21-23mpg road trips is normal. Non plugin hybrid 4x4’s generally don’t see much if any mileage improvements. A highlander isn’t a heavy draggy transfer case vehicle so don’t use that as a comparison (its not)

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
No need for hybrid to get low mid 20’s with a mid sized 4x4. My 400hp full sized non hybrid nearly does that. 21-23mpg road trips is normal. Non plugin hybrid 4x4’s generally don’t see much if any mileage improvements. A highlander isn’t a heavy draggy transfer case vehicle so don’t use that as a comparison (its not)
We will have to wait for the reviews to come out- I think it will be a success.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
F150 Powerboost would do that. But no front swaybar disconnect.
An average 3.5 Ecoboost with 3.55 will be close as well.
Depending of course on terrain and the driver.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
F150 Powerboost would do that. But no front swaybar disconnect.
An average 3.5 Ecoboost with 3.55 will be close as well.
Depending of course on terrain and the driver.
My 2.7 ecoboost never got anywhere near that even on long road trips in the flattest part of the country. 25 was the number I threw out, really it’s an arbitrary number, my point was I suspect it’ll give those that want it an approximate 5 mpg advantage over the non hybrid model and competition. If that’s worth it or not is up to an individual to decide.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
My 2.7 ecoboost never got anywhere near that even on long road trips in the flattest part of the country. 25 was the number I threw out, really it’s an arbitrary number, my point was I suspect it’ll give those that want it an approximate 5 mpg advantage over the non hybrid model and competition. If that’s worth it or not is up to an individual to decide.
Really? What year axle ratio? Was it stock, loaded down?
When my truck was stock I was getting about that. Flat terrain though, 60 miles of daily freeway / highway commute.
So about as ideal for optimizing gas mileage as you can get.... I just put my cruise on at 65 and away I went...

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
When my truck was stock I was getting about that. Flat terrain though, 60 miles of daily freeway / highway commute.
So about as ideal for optimizing gas mileage as you can get.... I just put my cruise on at 65 and away I went...
3.55 rear ratio- level lift in front, 34” BFG all terrain on stock 20” wheels, no camper or load , empty bed. I could get 18.5 if I babied it on a road trip.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Yup. You don’t get to ruin aerodynamics with body and front clip modifications, giant A/T tires and other stuff then complain about mileage 😆
Even going from a general all season tire to a heavy A/T tire easily costs you 3mpg.
Vs say a mild A/T tire like a BFG Trail Terrain or the other hybrid a/t tires which are probably in the 1mpg hit neighborhood over a typical all season.

I know several guys with 2.7 F150’s that travel a bunch all of them running all seasons or the mild hybrid a/t tires to retain their mileage capabilities which seem to easily land in the mid 20’s. Thats a big reason they love that truck so much. Full size capability with mileage that rivals my Subaru.

Last edited:

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Yup. You don’t get to ruin aerodynamics with body and front clip modifications, giant A/T tires and other stuff then complain about mileage 😆
Well I 'm not complaining about my mileage... but I ruined the aero...:LOL:

I'm still pretty happy with the mileage I'm getting. Heck, 18.5 with a crew cab 4x4 truck with a 6.5 bed that can haul 5 people in comfort, haul a load of firewood, tow a 30' camper with ease and has all the tech I want... even after I ruined the aero and added aggressive tires....

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Sounds like my truck now.

View attachment 811218

I'm getting about the same 18.5 as you mentioned with my level and 35" AT's on stock 20's.
The 35’s alone are likely 5+mpg hit. Its crazy how big of an impact tires have on mileage. Its one thing if your actually doing stuff where tire size and capability is needed vs just doing it (because) lol. Which case the mileage hit is the price you pay for tire capabilities. It seems much harder for many guys to admit that good stock sized all seasons are totally fine for their needs 😆.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
The 35’s alone are likely 5+mpg hit. Its crazy how big of an impact tires have on mileage. Its one thing if your actually doing stuff where tire size and capability is needed vs just doing it (because) lol. Which case the mileage hit is the price you pay for tire capabilities. It seems much harder for many guys to admit that good stock sized all seasons are totally fine for their needs 😆.
For sure. And they are an agressive tread. Not impressed with them though. Don't think I'd buy AT3's again.

Sometimes I do stuff where more aggressive tread helps... (see profile pic, haha)

But, mostly I wanted load range E tires for towing our camper. I do like the look of bigger tires on trucks to be honest.

Just something big enough to fill the wheel wells. Don't want a lift or rims with the big lip or anything.

road 2.jpg
Trail.jpg
truck 4.jpg

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I got these when they first came out. First set our local Americas tire shop had ordered. Have been very impressed by them. Definitely getting another set in 30k ish. They have 32k on em and haven’t lost any snow or wet performance yet. Mileage impact vs the terrible stock tires was possibly 1mpg ish or
Slightly less. Traction difference was literally game changing where I had to use 4x4 on new stock tires these were even better in 2wd than the stock tires in 4x4 😆

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I got these when they first came out. First set our local Americas tire shop had ordered. Have been very impressed by them. Definitely getting another set in 30k ish. They have 32k on em and haven’t lost any snow or wet performance yet. Mileage impact vs the terrible stock tires was possibly 1mpg ish or
Slightly less. Traction difference was literally game changing where I had to use 4x4 on new stock tires these were even better in 2wd than the stock tires in 4x4 😆

Interesting tire. But highest rating is SL in the size I would need. I'd rather a load range D or E for trailer towing duties.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78