The bigger the truck, the greater the (misplaced?) concern about payload?

DaveNay

Adventurer
Nice though but swerving to avoid a collision is part of your sympathetic nervous system, and you, like most others, have virtually no control over it. If we are walking towards each other and I reach into my pocket and throw a handful of change towards your face you will squeeze your eyes together, pull your hands up, turn your head to the side, and make a funny face. You are wired that way.

Can the same system be reprogrammed? Yes, to a limited degree. It takes a ton of work and must be practiced and rehearsed again and again. Once you break the cycle, the system defaults to it's original settings.
"Don't swerve for obstacles" is one of the first things taught in motorcycle safety class.

wicked1

Nice though but swerving to avoid a collision is part of your sympathetic nervous system, and you, like most others, have virtually no control over it. If we are walking towards each other and I reach into my pocket and throw a handful of change towards your face you will squeeze your eyes together, pull your hands up, turn your head to the side, and make a funny face. You are wired that way.

Can the same system be reprogrammed? Yes, to a limited degree. It takes a ton of work and must be practiced and rehearsed again and again. Once you break the cycle, the system defaults to it's original settings.

Maybe that comes down to the difference of a true surprise, or a situation you see developing for a second.. I've never had a problem controlling my instincts on the road.. I'm not saying it won't ever happen.. But if you have good situational awareness, you can usually see the animal out of the corner of your eye, up ahead. You can keep an eye on the other vehicles around you and see one start to twitch a little.. It doesn't take much of a clue to know something is up. It only takes a fraction of a second to build that awareness and be able to have a thoughtful response.

TexasSixSeven

Observer
Y

I hit on average 2-3 “large” animals a year. I drive a ton at night (80K+ miles a year, and probably a third of it at night), and usually through very thick hog and deer territory. Last year through Idaho I almost hit a moose, and 6 years ago in CO I almost plowed through a herd of elk. Not once have I turned my wheel. Brakes applied and kept it in my lane. I don’t brake for deer or hogs though, although I’ll shut it down for an Aoudad which I’ve had a few run out in front of me here in the Caprock country. You’re far more likely to result in a funeral by swerving and over correcting, rolling, or hitting on coming traffic. Especially since you’re mentioned scenario consisted of coming down a mountain pass with steep cliffs lol

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
In many ways the same thing applies in Road Racing I did for many years.

If you are a slower car always run the racing line particularly when a much faster vehicle comes up behind you. It's the responsibility of the faster car to git around you the slower car. Not you move over for the faster car.

As a slower vehicle when you run the racing line the faster vehicle will know where you will be at all times and can adjust their driving line to overtake the slower vehicle.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
I met a gal that has her own crash analysis company….She really doesn’t like large roof boxes on SUVs especially the extra long versions. Given they more often are carrying more people and more likely to have roof gear far exceeding the rated loads.

I’d think, as fat as most people have become today, that a few extra 400 pounders sitting in these crowded rigs would actually help lower the COG and more than safely balance out the extra weight on the roof!

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I’d think, as fat as most people have become today, that a few extra 400 pounders sitting in these crowded rigs would actually help lower the COG and more than safely balance out the extra weight on the roof!
LoL USCG moved the load ratings up to 180lbs per person a few yrs ago. I think it was 160 prior to that. All the COVID work from home hours ie having less commute time and more time to eat healthier and work out my house lost over 50lbs. Wife has started going back and is shocked how much weight people have packed on. On the flip side all the top brass have shed weight and are in prime fighting condition. Has been an interesting peek into the differences in leadership/self motivated types vs those who just sort of float thru life.

The studies done on how the Pandemic changes impacted people will be fascinating

Oscar Mike Gulf Yankee

I keep picturing myself walking along and meeting someone who throws change at me, using my left hand to block the change, looking straight ahead and using my right to smash his nose.

I can't get that out of my head now, thank you.

wicked1

Simple Answer

Most of us with HD trucks have seen the light with the smaller ones, and the issues that arise from being overloaded so we pay much more attention to it now so it doesnt happen again.

Myself personally, i had a 2014 Tundra with a FWC Hawk and fell into their "Just add airbags, you'll be fine bro" nonsense. I knew better, but had been a Yota guy my entire life.

In 50k mileage of usage, i went through 3 sets of rotors, 2 sets of control arm bushings, and 1 set of steering rack bushings. All due to being overweight.

Anyone trying to argue against the importance of weight ratings and that subscribes to the "Just add airbags you'll be fine bro" mentality is quickly added to my ignore list as trying to reason with them is the equivalent of banging my head into a wall.

As that nice lady once said on the internet "I aint got time Fo Dat"

I'm not trying to encourage anyone to go undersized..... but...............
I've got 80k miles on mine, since it has had the camper on it.. Tacoma, weighting 7000 lbs now. Heavy flatbed four wheel camper. I have custom appropriate leaf springs. I have appropriately sized coilovers in the front. Good shocks. aftermarket UCA, just to adjust for the lift, but no other strengthening. A lot of really rough BLM and mountain roads and trails. Just replaced my rotors for the first time last weekend. No other issues. I guess having the appropriate suspension makes a difference. The way my flatbed is mounted definitely strengthens my trucks frame.

But again.. I'm not suggesting anyone go out and build a 7000lb taco on purpose. (Mainline Overland built mine.. I was new to all this, so didn't think about the weight or anything.. I simply bought a product from a company).

(just noticed I replied to a kind of old post, but it just showed up in the latest activity list 'cause someone reacted to it)

Zuber

I've been riding dirt bikes for almost 50 years. I've got a reflexive head duck from branches coming at my head that will never be modified.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner