The Cherokee is back?

d67u57

Adventurer
what if,just think about it,they will actually make it really perform offroad?

and i dont mean 'our new (insert name of normal car name here) new awd system will transfer ALL the power to the one wheel slipping'

kinda deal :D

could be a pipe dream. hell, it could be an imitation of a bad pipe dream,but still!!!

Justincredible

Adventurer
The Jeep facebook page posted a pic of this yesterday, and it has been getting slammed. I would not be surprised if Jeep heads back to the drawing board on this... or at least offers an offroad version that is a little more deserving of the Cherokee name.

Last edited:

RubiconGeoff

Adventurer
what if,just think about it,they will actually make it really perform offroad?

and i dont mean 'our new (insert name of normal car name here) new awd system will transfer ALL the power to the one wheel slipping'

kinda deal :D

could be a pipe dream. hell, it could be an imitation of a bad pipe dream,but still!!!

How well could it ever actually perform on real-world trails? It has no articulation, tiny tires, and a light-duty drivetrain. The entire vehicle would have to be redesigned, including the body so that reasonably-sized tires could even fit.

This thing is a joke. A Subaru Outback, Forester, or XV Crosstrek would give it a serious run for its money in the dirt.

mustangwarrior

Adventurer
say good bye to the future of offroading, how long before jeep makes the front of the wrangler IFS, everyone else already made the switch, they need to take a look at the history books and remember where they came from and take a look at the numerous jeep forums out there to see the following the XJ, ZJ, WJ, etc all have, bring back the solid axle, and that goes to ford, chevy and dodge as well

i'd love to see a company come out with a bare bones, no luxury, bullet proof 4x4, problem is it would probably expensive as heck because they would market it as the best in off road, we need something the average college kid can afford and can wheel every weekend and drive to class everyday right out of the box

Bdiddy11

Adventurer
AmericaOverland, what year Patriot did you drive? The older ones were more plastic inside but newer ones aren't. We got my wife a 2013 Oscar Mike edition Patriot. We didn't buy it for its offroad ability, but for my wife to commute with, something newer, and better mpg than our XJs. It has the FD1 package so we can go on mild trails if need be. For a commuter vehicle without needing serious offroad or not being a sedan, we like it. A lot more comfortable than my XJ.

This new incarnation of "Cherokee" is a bit on the ugly side and should be named something else. I do understand the drive to open the market to more potential people. It sucks that Jeep has come to this point, but when the market demands something different, if you don't conform you either suffer or roll with the punches.

Silvanus

Observer
Conform is correct!!! They've taken the Utility out of SUV, and left SV! This culture has become soft or the auto industry is lulling us away from Utility!

Jeep has become Elitist, gone is the blue collar rag top, 30K Wrangler, Really! Hold on and take very good care of your Solid axle Jeeps for very soon there will be an IFS abomination soon!

Because we're soft and want a truck to ride like a car!

Last edited:

haven

Expedition Leader
Chrysler released lots of new photos of the production 2014 Jeep Cherokee this evening

JeepCherokee2014_zpsa4bd7520.jpg

See them all here

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2014-jeep-cherokee-0/#photo-5761697/

haven

Expedition Leader
from the press release:

2014 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk

Jeep Trail Rated
Active Drive Lock 4x4 system
… independent front and rear suspension
… front suspension 6.7 inches wheel travel
… rear suspension 7.8 inches wheel travel
… includes 2 speed transfer case and locking rear differential
Selec-Terrain traction control system
2.4L gas inline four cylinder is base engine
... 184 hp, 171 lb-ft of torque
3.2L PentaStar V6 is optional
… 271 horsepower, 239 lb.-ft. of torque
9 speed automatic transmission
56:1 crawl ratio (with 2.5L four cylinder gas engine)
47.8:1 crawl ratio (with V6)
1 inch suspension lift
ground clearance 8.7 inches
approach angle 29.8 degrees
breakover angle 23.3 degrees
departure angle 32.1 degrees
factory skid plates
V6 will have 4500 lb towing capacity
I4 will have 2000 lb tow rating

Allpar.com says curb weight will range between 3800 and 4100 lb

fuel economy estimate for 2.5L I4 = 31 mpg (2wd, highway driving)
no fuel economy number for the 3.2L V6.

haven

Expedition Leader
In my opinion, the Cherokee will be a significant market success for Jeep. The Cherokee is a crossover. People will cross-shop the Cherokee with the Honda CR-V, Subaru Forester and Ford Escape. I bet Jeep has already hired Scott Brady to drive the Cherokee Trailhawk across the Rubicon Trail as soon as the snow melts.

Jeep will continue to sell the Wrangler for people who want a stump-jumping off road machine with lots of aftermarket support. So what's not to like about Jeep's plans?

apalmer

Adventurer
So what's not to like about Jeep's plans?

Oh, the plans (and the stats you posted) are just fine...but people are shallow when it comes to looks. A CR-V/Forester/Escape are all better looking than this, and that's REALLY saying something.

Chi-Town

The guy under the car
The Liberty is the Cherokee elsewhere and stock for stock the Liberty is a much better 4x4 then the Cherokee. I own both a Cherokee 92 and a Liberty 08 and the liberty is light years ahead of the xj. If you want hardcore get a wrangler, if you want a daily that can handle bad roads and weather get something like this. Seven slot grill and ground clearance, i'm good.

wow, I'm so astounded by this statement I'm having trouble to stopping laughing.

The KJ is not even remotely as capable as an XJ, here are the numbers to show it:

Minimum Ground Clearance= 7.8" - Liberty / 10.6" Cherokee
Towing capacity= 2000lbs - Liberty / 5000lbs Cherokee
Curb Weight= 3692lbs Liberty / 3297 Cherokee
Cargo Room= 29 cubic feet - Liberty / 69 cubic Feet - Cherokee
Turning Radius= 35.9ft - Liberty / 35.7ft - Cherokee
Front Leg Room= 40.8" - Liberty / 41.4in" - Cherokee

And gas EPA gas mileage estimates were the same for both trucks so the liberty lost all the ability and didn't even get better mileage!

Fiat needs to stop and look at these numbers, if the new truck cant match them, they should go back to the drawing board or consider calling it a patriot or Compass

d67u57

Adventurer
pig weight i see.

cant wait for the off road review.

the i4's might be a better bet,possibly because of less weight on the front axle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater