ExPo Original
.....right on the back of my truck!!
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

EagleModel.jpg

I'll post a more detailed write up with pics in the Camping Equipment section in the coming days. For those in the know, and for those that aren't, the camper pictured above is an Eagle Model from Four Wheel Campers. For an analogy, Four Wheel Campers are to slide-ins, what Toyota is to the 4x4.

There are many different manufacturers of slide-in truck campers, but Four Wheel Campers have been used extensively by those who take their campers beyond the KOA's. Turtle Expeditions has used these campers for years on their travels across Siberia, Mexico, South America, etc. They are outstanding little units, if you can find a used one.

After two years of searching nationwide, I was finally able to locate a previously owned Eagle model camper in Sun Valley, Idaho. In brutal weather conditions, I made the 400 mile trip to Idaho, through Jackson Hole, Wyoming and Craters of the Moon National Monument. I drove almost 600 miles home through the SE corner of Idaho and Bear Lake on the ID & UT border. Lots of pics from the crazy weather on this trip too, like this one -

BadStorm.jpg

I realize these campers may not be the ideal solution for everyone, (well, at least the SUV guys) but I've researched these and the Wildernest & Flip-Pac options, to death. The biggest factors for me were durability, weight, height and comfort. I believe this unit will allow me enough room to take my two kids camping at the state park, but be lightweight & strong enough that I can take it along on any off road adventure. Time will tell for sure.

This was primarily a road trip, as this weekend's weather and the previous snowfalls kept me off any trails. However, the weather broke for awhile in the afternoon and I was able to take a lunch break at Bear Lake. Bear Lake, sitting at 6K ft elevation and 20 miles long by 8 miles wide, is a real anamoly in this part of the country. The water is often compared to the Carribean, because of its tuqoise shade of blue, a result of the reflection of the limestone deposits suspended in the lake. Perfect place for lunch and a couple of poser pics -

BearLakebeach.jpg

Solo.jpg

Perfectfit.jpg

Currently there are a couple of active threads on this board regarding Four Wheel Campers. I will add to that this week with a thread about a Four Wheel Camper just for me. I have several pictures and my initial impressions to share, plus the pros and cons of this style camper, including spending my first night in it in a massive downpour......

Willman

Nice camper!! I have been looking for a sleeping solution....That might be a little to much for my wallet!! I think i might just stick to the roof-top-tent idea!!! Your camper would be ideal for the winter!!!!!

Those are awesome pictures of Bear lake!! That is on my list of places to see!!

Thanks for sharing!!!! :D

S

Scenic WonderRunner

Excellent!!!!!!!:shakin:

Now you are exploring in STYLE.....Bradda! :archaeolo

I Love those!!!!!
SO!.....Do they have one that will fit a 1988 Toyota 4Runner with pop top>?!!!!!!!!!:D

Last edited by a moderator:

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Great job KC! Now you are set for a lot exploration & expeditions. It looks very cool on your hella sweet T100. Congrats:clapsmile

flywgn

Explorer
Ahhhhhhh, niiiiiicce KC,

Looks great and I know from first-hand that they are well-appointed. Good going!

Now let's set a date for the upper Green River, or the Big Horn, or Sand Creek, or.....:D

Allen

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
I really liked your truck before, but now... :D VERY nice. Glad your long and hard search (and research) has paid off.

I will do my best not to let my wife see this post (sshhh!)

Great photos by the way!

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
K.C., that camper looks great on your T100. I can hardly wait to read the full report. Hope it was in the condition you expected; if so, you stole it as far as I'm concerned.

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Ursidae69 said:
Hella freakin cool! :D :D

Who is this......? :xxrotflma

Thanks for the comments everyone! This camper has been such a huge wish on the wish list for so long, that I didn't think it was going to happen. Now that it has, it has facillitated the need for some front and rear recovery points, just in case. Mods lead to more mods, such is the nature of things.

Jonathan Hanson said:
....that camper looks great on your T100. I can hardly wait to read the full report. Hope it was in the condition you expected.....

Jonathan has been a big help on this deal, offering firsthand accounts of owning a Four Wheel Camper. Jonathan, you have very rough draft of my initial impressions waiting in your PMs. Thanks again for everything!

I'll need to take more pics of the interior as I had the 2 jack stands laid out on the floor during the ride home. Here's a couple though -

Queensize.jpg

How about lunch and a table with a view?

Lunchwithaview.jpg

Daaaaannnnggggg! KC that is a smoking camper! Nice photos - Wyomin's are built for ccccccold :Wow1:

Written by me desertdude on desertgirls Mac

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach