The Family Trailmobile

Dipodomys

Observer
Dual battery setup

Very nice dual batt setup. So when you put in the dual battery tray, etc., did you have to relocate anything? I've been considering the same type of setup myself, but it looked like I'd have to move back the fuse box (more drama then I need) to make a couple of regular size batteries fit. Are the PC1200's slightly undersize? Can you tell me the dimensions of the fabricated battery tray? Was the battery hold-down setup a custom weld as well?

Also, how are the anchors you used to attach the tray to the body holding up? Any loosening or cracking? That sheetmetal there is pretty thin, and those batteries are heavy. What do you think the long term prognosis is for that setup? Thanks.

07longbed

Very Nice! It looks like it was a pretty straight forward install. You wouldn't happen to have a diagram with dimensions would you? That is such a clean install and it looks rock solid.

no, sorry I didn't get dimensions. The main tube going across the front and the receiver portion is 1/4" wall 2 1/2" square tubing. It seemed to go together like it was made for it. Thanks for the compliments!

07longbed

Very nice dual batt setup. So when you put in the dual battery tray, etc., did you have to relocate anything? I've been considering the same type of setup myself, but it looked like I'd have to move back the fuse box (more drama then I need) to make a couple of regular size batteries fit. Are the PC1200's slightly undersize? Can you tell me the dimensions of the fabricated battery tray? Was the battery hold-down setup a custom weld as well?

Also, how are the anchors you used to attach the tray to the body holding up? Any loosening or cracking? That sheetmetal there is pretty thin, and those batteries are heavy. What do you think the long term prognosis is for that setup? Thanks.

I don't remember relocating anything for the dual batts- both of these together is about the same size of the single stock battery.
Specs:

* Length 7 13/16 in.
* Width 6 9/16 in.
* Height 7 9/16 in.
* Drycell Battery
* With Metal Jacket
* 12 Volt
* 40 Ah @ 10hr rate
* 550 CCA
* 1200 Cranking Amps for 5 Seconds
* 78 Minute Reserve Capacity
* Cycle life @ 77° F 400 at 100% DOD
* -40° F to 140° F Temperature Range
* With SAE Automotive Terminals
* Stinger Power2 SP1000, Black Panther Predator BP-1000MJ equivalent

I certainly didn't move the fuse box! I'll try to get out and measure the tray for you. The tray and battery hold down I made/welded, that's why the welds look ugly haha. I could reinforce the mounting of the setup if needed but it went in easy and it seemed to be stronger than the original hold down/battery mounting method. The riv-nuts are pretty strong when installed tight and have 5/16" bolts/screws. Also the two batteries are probably similar or a little bit heavier than stock since they are each approx half the size of a stock batt. If you get the batteries that have the pos post on the left instead of the right you won't have to alter the existing wiring (main positive post).

07longbed

here are some pics of the computer mount. I made it to be used only without a front passenger, and uses the same upper part I use in my work truck everyday. When I take drives alone to meet the rest of the family (they often fly during the week and I drive meet them on the weekend) I use the computer to view traffic conditions with a sprint wireless card. Right not I use a cheap cigarette lighter inverter for the computer power but soon I'll be done with the plugs under the passenger seat. The screen is brighter when it's plugged into power so it looks fine while cruising around. You can open traffic dot com and it'll automatically refresh every couple min so you don't have to even touch anything. Pretty sweet.

seat back (wire loom for future plugs):
tacoma023s.jpg

seat back:
tacoma024s.jpg

seat in normal riding position:
tacoma025s.jpg

seat in normal riding position:
tacoma026s.jpg

tacoma052.jpg

tacoma049.jpg

tacoma051.jpg

Last edited:

CYi5

Explorer
once you upload your pics into photobucket, you can hover your mouse over the thumbnail and a bunch of links will show underneath it. Copy the link that says 'Direct Link.' Then when you make a post here click the little mountain picture button above where you type and paste in that direct link. or just type
picture.jpg

here's a video tutorial if you want to see further.

Last edited:

07longbed

once you upload your pics into photobucket, you can hover your mouse over the thumbnail and a bunch of links will show underneath it. Copy the link that says 'Direct Link.' Then when you make a post here click the little mountain picture button above where you type and paste in that direct link. or just type
picture.jpg

Thank you kindly, I'll check it out!

07longbed

Here are some pics of the home-made rack, mainly built for lumber, pipe, moulding and anything else too long for the bed. The hi-lift and related mounting hardware can easily be removed, along with the shovel/axe mount on the driver's side. The small antenna is for the scanner. The windoors can open all the way on both sides without hitting the rack mounted tools, and the rack-straps can be used on both sides with the tools still mounted although it's easier if they are removed. Soon I'll make a basket type thing to go in the middle of the rack to fit smaller items like luggage, easy-up, etc. It's all DOM 1.75" od, 1.56" id, or .095" wall- light and strong! What do you think?
recent039.jpg

roofrackL.jpg

recent043.jpg

tacoma039s.jpg

07longbed

picture.jpg

Thanks! Worked great- I appreciate it!

CYi5

Explorer
Yaa, look at those sexy pics! I like the hi-lift mount, it looks like a factory option on the shell.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilgirl